Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Dear Phoenix,

Great site! And I look forward to the discount when we purchase!

Wanderhome

Just wanted to say a big Thank You from NYC

I am a recent college grad and had a VERY limited budget. I was basically going to get the cheapest mattress I could find for 250 dollars and get it over with but this forum changed my mind.

I still have a very small budget, but Iā€™m slowly convincing myself to get the ultimate dreams latex mattressā€¦ hopefully I can get over the sticker shock.

Thanks again and if you have other suggestions more in line with my budget, please let me know!

Hi janetmonster,

Iā€™m not sure what size you are looking for but I doubt you will find a better quality mattress at the price of the Ultimate Dreams (which uses materials that are typically found in mainstream mattresses that are more than twice the price) and the odds are very high that if you go lower that you will end up with a very much lower quality mattress.

At $250 (and again this will vary based on the size you are looking at) you are looking in the budget range of a ā€œthrowawayā€ mattress that is very low quality and wonā€™t last you very long at all (possibly even measured in months in some cases).

Phoenix

So thanks to this site Iā€™m off to pay a visit to Worley Beds in New Bedford, MA. While I donā€™t see them on the membership page, Iā€™ve read some good things about them on the forum here, and they were incredibly friendly over the phone. I guess I wonā€™t be getting the 5% discount but Iā€™m happy to support a local business!

A thanks Phoenix for offering such a great online resource!

Hi petteri,

Worley isnā€™t a member but I do think highly of them and the quality and value of the mattresses they make and sell.

The 5% discount is always nice to have of course but even without it the better local manufacturers offer much better quality/value than anything else you would be likely to find in the area.

I hope you have a chance to let us know about your visit.

Phoenix

I paid a visit to the store this afternoon. Great no-pressure advice and tons of good info. I ended up purchasing one of their in house latex beds. I had been wavering between the all three types of mattresses (coil, memory foam and latex) I got the chance to try our all three there, and some before hand at the chain stores, and I ended up settling on the latex.

It was just the most comfortable for me. I did like the memory foam very much, but I just couldnā€™t shake the feeling of being ā€œtrappedā€ in the foam.

Again, thanks to everyone here, esp. Phoenix. Iā€™ll report back after I get the mattress and spend some time in it. (In another more applicable thread!)

Hi petteri,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good choice IMO and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when youā€™ve had the change to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Phoenix -

Thank you (greatly) for operating and maintaining the forum.
I feel I have a much better understanding of the place where I spend 1/3 of my life thanks to you.
Now to order a bed from Sleep EZā€¦ :slight_smile:

Cheers -

Peter

Hi PeterHudson,

Thanks for the kind words.

As you know I think very highly of SleepEZ and the quality, value, and service they provide to their customers.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to give us your feedback when youā€™ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I am thinking of getting one of the Ultimate Dreams beds from Dreamfoam. I live in the Frederick, Maryland area(21770). Do you know of any retailers near here where I could test this or a similar mattress. Would you recommend getting the Eurotop with the main bedding firm or extra firm and the soft topper for a bigger peroson ~240lbs?

Thanks

Hi belam79,

Some possibilities closer to the Frederick area are in post #2 here and a few more a bit further away in he Baltimore area are listed in post #2 here.

The Ultimate Dreams is only available online through their Amazon outlet. I donā€™t know the specific models that the retailers in the lists carry so you would need to call them and ask if they have any latex/polyfoam hybrids on their floor with about 3" of latex over a high quaity polyfoam support core (either with or without polyfoam quilting because either would be helpful as a reference point). I would then visit the ones that carried a mattress that was similar. Many of the manufacturers Iā€™ve listed do make mattresses that are similar but the local retailers may or may not carry them.

The choice between the Eurotop and the Ultra Plush would be a matter of preference depending on whether you feel the advantages of the Eurotop are worth the extra price for you.Post #2 here talks about the differences between them.

Without a reference point of personal testing ā€¦ I would discuss your firmness choice with Chuck whose suggestions would be based on much better and more specific knowledge of their mattresses than mine. My tendency though would be to choose a firmness choice that you and Chuck believe would suit you best without a topper (which would be on the firmer side because of your higher weight), err slightly on the side of firmness if you are undecided between two options, and then add a topper if you need it based on your actual experience on the mattress when youā€™ve slept on it. This way if you need a topper at all, you can use your actual experience on the mattress as a guideline for the thickness and type that would be best.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your site, and your invaluable information. You have helped me avoid purchases that could have cost me a fortune. Iā€™m also planning on purchasing soon, and I didnā€™t know about the 5% discount until today, so thank you!

So glad to have found your mattress forum as I was shopping around for mattresses. I was leaning towards an iMattress or a Sealy Optimum line mattress, but after reading about the levels of materials I believe we will be giving Select Foam a try. Went to Sleep Country today and tried out all the Tempurpedics and liked the Cloud Supreme, so hopefully the Cirrus Supreme will work for us. Thank you!

Hi lisab287,

As you know I think highly of Select Foam (which of course is why they were invited to become manufacturing members of this site) and the quality of their mattress designs and the materials they use.

They would certainly make a great choice and have much better value than the options you were considering :slight_smile:

If you do decide to ā€œpull the triggerā€ Iā€™d love to hear your feedback once you receive the mattress and have had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Great information :slight_smile: Wish you had a store north of seattle. We really need to find a good store without getting the run around and bad quality at a horrific price and that is what has been happening to us grrrrrr
:evil:

Thank You Phoenix for all your work. Iā€™m going in the morning to purchase a latex mattress from The Mattress Factory. Thank you John

Hi jjz109,

Just out of curiosity ā€¦ which mattress factory (there are a few by that name across the country)?

Phoenix

I think it is where you bought your mattress in Fort Worth.

Hi jjz109,

In that case ā€¦ say hi to Peter for me :slight_smile:

Unfortunately they donā€™t sell Talalay any more but they do have Dunlop and they have some great value there

Phoenix

Yes Peter no longer offers Talalay. do you think iā€™ll miss it?