Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi debch,

Iā€™m glad the site could help you ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

This website is great (Thanks Phoenix). Iā€™ve been reading and researching for a long time and I think Iā€™m finally ready to buy. But first, time for a napā€¦

Hi Obaida,

Iā€™m glad the site could help you as well ā€¦ and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, thank you for all the hard work you put into this site. The information, tutorials and helpful hints will be invaluable when we shop for our new mattress. We purchased a ReGeneration II latex mattress from Sleep Country in 2008 and were really happy with the mattress until the depressions showed up a few years later. The Sleep Country warranty is basically not worth the paper itā€™s written on.

We had not done any research, went to the nearest big chain retailer, lay on a couple of beds, were lured in by a ā€œcancellation discountā€ and walked out with a new mattress in under an hour :dry: We have learned our lesson and Iā€™ve spent nearly the whole day on this site and looking through all the Toronto links imbedded in the forum. Hoping to go visit Dormio and Soma to ask the list of questions and lie on a few beds.

Thanks again!

Hi Phoenix. Thank you so much for the wealth o f information on this website. Iā€™m looking forward to ordering and testing out a Tuft & Needle mattress shortly!

Wow. Lots of great info here. And a discount to boot! Nice.

Hi Tankdawg0057,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :).

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Thanks for such a great resource. This forum has provided a lot of great info. We are about to pull the trigger on the sleepez natural 10 inch latex. Canā€™t wait!
Thanks again!

Hi Theoretical,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you are making a great quality/value choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Even though I have just registered, I have been going through this forum for quite a while now and really appreciate all the knowledge that is shared. Thank you!

Hi pufl,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Iā€™m pretty new to this site but have learned much in a short time, thanks to yourself and others who write in to you. I appreciate the help very much. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on an online site, when I did a search and found some much needed help here. I knew I was interested in an all latex mattress, after laying on one at a local retailer, but knew nothing at all about how to choose one. Iā€™m leaning toward a four layered mattress with at least the two bottom layers of dunlop xfirm under firm dunlop with two layers of talalay on the uppers. I would stick with the 3 layer, but read (somewhere) to get all the layers you could afford (right??) Anyway, anything I buy will be such an improvement on what I have now, that once installed I may sleep for a week straight. Any comment you make on mattress thickness would be a help! Thanks in advance. Donā€™t want to just waste money. I weigh 190 lb and my partner is a little thing at 120. Also, the brands Iā€™ve been drawn to are SleepEZ and FoamSweetFoam, though SleepEZ seems to be a little more affordable. Any particular reason why? Also, they list all the different foam manufacturers, but you donā€™t get a choice. Are there any preferred brands? My apologies, I know this note is a little rambling.

Hi rdoerner,

Welcome to the site :slight_smile:

I switched your post to a new topic of itā€™s own so that your questions wouldnā€™t get mixed in with the other posts in a more general topic.

Iā€™m assuming that youā€™ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would choose the number of layers, thickness, and the firmness levels that both of you would have the best chance of sleeping well on regardless of the thickness of the mattress or the number of layers. There is more about the pros and cons of a thicker mattress in post #14 here and having more layers in post #2 here.

The choice between Dunlop and talalay in any of your layers is also a preference choice more than a ā€œbetter/worseā€ choice. There is more about the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the most reliable way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own local testing.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of comfort and PPP, this is only possible ahead of time if you are buying a mattress locally. When you canā€™t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Both SleepEZ and Foam Sweet Foam are members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them and I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. You are certainly looking at two great options.

There is more about some of the factors that can affect the price of a mattress relative to different manufacturers or retailers in post #14 here but the biggest factor is generally the type, amount, quality, and cost of the materials and components inside it. Some types of latex are just more costly than others and this (along with the other variables involved in the price) would be reflected in the cost of the mattress. There is more about the different types and blends of latex that can help you make more ā€œapples to applesā€ comparisons between mattresses in post #6 here.

In your weight ranges you wouldnā€™t ā€œneedā€ 4 layers of latex although some people may prefer it.

I would focus more on the type and blend of latex that you prefer than on the name of the manufacturer that makes the latex since latex that is the same type and blend that is made by different manufacturers would be closely comparable.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between ā€œgood and goodā€ and none of them have any lower quality materials or ā€œweak linksā€ in their design relative to your weight range and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations about each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on ā€œinformed best judgementā€ based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Ordering my tuft and needle mattress right now! Cannot wait for a better mattress :slight_smile: thanks for the great info!

Hi all,

Was able to get the discount on a purchase I made yesterday- but hereā€™s a heads up for members looking to get a discount on Tuft & Needle:

Hi Tim,

Good news! We recently ended our discount with the Mattress Underground, but it looks like we will be able to provide a one-time exception for you on this order.

I went ahead and processed your 6.5% discount in the amount of $52.59, and this should post to your purchasing card within the next 5-7 business days.

Youā€™re all set! Let us know if you have any other questions or comments in the future.

Best,

How would you rate our customer service?
Exceptional Okay Not Good

Jordan Davis

Hi beckjensen,

You made a good quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I switched your post from the ā€œDonā€™t forget to ask for your ā€œThe Mattress Undergroundā€ forum member discount/bonusā€ topic to the main Tuft & Needle topic and I would make sure that you read post #1 here just in case the TMU discount was an important part of your purchase decision since they are no longer a member here and have discontinued their discount.

Phoenix

Hi timseeman,

As you mentioned they are no longer a member of the site and have discontinued their discount for the forum members here (see the announcement here).

They did mention that they may make a few exceptions for a short time so itā€™s good to see that you were able to receive it although for the sake of others that are reading this is only an exception so I certainly wouldnā€™t ā€œexpectā€ the discount with any subsequent orders because itā€™s really up to them how long any exceptions will continue.

Phoenix

They were also about to accommodate me with the 6.5% discount as well. I have to admit as a Costco member I was a little hesitant ordering online from any other retailer. Especially when Consumer Reports mentioned the Novaform Serafina is rated slightly higher and on is onsale.

However in Chatting with Tuft Needle I was really surprised how friendly and responsive there were to questions. Short of ā€œMail Order Brideā€, buying a mattress online was the second item on my list of stuff NEVER to BUY without seeing it in person. But I love there policy of donating returns AND the Amazon reviews are great. In 12 hours I got my shipping notice too so I will place a full review when it arrives. I was very specific about mentioning Mattress Underground as where I heard about the mattressā€¦

Hi roadrunnercj,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™m glad that they made an exception for you as well and that you were also able to receive the discount.

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more ā€œobjectiveā€ purchases ā€¦ as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and they are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

Thanks for all the great info!. I used to be a happy owner of a Tempurpedic Cloud mattress, but over time the middle has begun to sag (Iā€™m a hefty guy at around 230lbs). Itā€™s interesting to read about all the components that go into a mattress and how they hold up with respect to weight, so thatā€™s been a huge help.

Thanks again!