Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi Lief.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am glad that you find our site helpful and informative and that you successfully engaged some our expert members. Keep us posted!

Phoenix

On our way to Mattress Makets today to get a new mattress!

This has been a great resource! Thanks for all the info

Hi denman100.

Thanks for your appreciation and …Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I found this website from the Bogleheads forum. Lots of valuable information! My wife and I learned a whole other world exists outside the Big Box Mattress stores. We are leaning towards a vZone latex mattress from FloBeds.

Hi dunk_machine.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am glad that you are finding site helpful and informative.

As you’re aware, you certainly are considering a great quality/value choice from FloBeds one of our Trusted Members here , which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.
… and of course, for any additional help or questions you may have along the way you can reach out directly to FloBeds or any of the url=https://mattressunderground.com/talk-to-the-experts/expert-member-section.html]Expert members[/url] of the site.

Phoenix

I saw in a few past posts that Midwest Mattress was a trusted manufacturer but I don’t see them on the member list!
I tried and liked the latex/coil hybrid they had on the floor so I checked here to see anyone could vouch for them.
Are they no longer a trusted business member?

Also, thank you for this site! It has made my mattress hunting much less overwhelming!

Hi pjunge.

I appreciate your kind words … and welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I noticed that you also have a question for Arizona… just keep in mind that Memorial Day weekend is a busy time for everyone so we might be a little slow in answering posts.
You are correct that Midwest Mattress is not listed any longer on TMU, but they are a good company and you can be confident in their products.

Good luck with your purchase!
Hope you have some time to post back here and let us know what you decide.

Phoenix

I’m a teacher, so I’m full of patience!
I went back and tried the Midwest Mattress option again and I liked the feel but the edge construction wasn’t my favorite.
I’ll wait to hear back from Ken at Arizona Mattress!

Thanks again!

Doing my research and trying to figure out a latex mattress to get. Than you for this whole site!

Hi Pjunge.

Thanks for the update. It’s great that you are taking your time with understanding what works and what does not work for you. (You are not only patient but wise too.)

Keep us posted!
Phoenix

@ To bobfather

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: Glad to be of assistance.

You can start with our Trusted Members here …If you filter by Latex @ All Latex it will give you the members that carry latex and all latex mattresses… or… just click the link above…the filter is already applied.

I am not very sure what you’ve read since finding our site but the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here(there is a condensed version of it at the end of that post) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix

I am new to the forum and am not sure I am using it correctly. I would like to share some experiences with mattress shopping.

1. (Starting from the end) YES, the 5% discount worked for me on an online order with the Latex Mattress Factory.
  2. The forum was useful, but I was awfully short of time so could not search enough of it put out a query. So I did not find much info on ordering custom sizes. Perhaps, they have been discussed before. But just in case, I will share my experience:
    several companies (among the MUG members and outside) accept orders for custom sizes (e.g., for non US beds). But too many service reps/sales people (2 among MUG members) will give wrong info/pricing/promises on the phone, Main sticking point: can a mattress (3 layers of 3") that is a couple inches wider than a Queen be obtained by gluing strips to a Queen (both said yes) or should it be cut from a King (as the people I talked to the following day claimed) ? Needless to say, this makes a huge price difference. I would expect that otherwise competent sounding reps would know if their company can find some small remainders to glue on or not.
  3. By the way, before I found MUG and its list of member companies, I had started searching via Google and found a company with OK basic prices which would have tagged on a $800 fee for just for cutting down to size the King mattresses and cover. I am glad to report than none of the MUG members ever
    asked for anything in that ballpark (mostly it was free and the max was $75 for adjusting the cover).

Hi George 4144, and welcome to The Mattress Underground. Thank you for sharing your experiences in finding a custom size mattress. The vast majority of mattress manufacturers have designed their production operations for standardization. This allows for consistent and good quality as well as being cost efficient. Custom size requests are very infrequent. A custom size mattress requires a great deal of management attention and oversight, as well as creating raw material waste in the component fabrication process. The risk of “not getting it right” are high, meaning that there is a good chance it will be an unprofitable activity. This is why most mattress manufacturers do not consider producing a custom size requests and those that do charge a premium for it.

It’s good to know that you found several TMU members who were accommodating of your need for a custom size mattress at a reasonable price. We will recommend to Phoenix that TMU create a list of its members who will make custom size mattresses so that others will be able to find them more easily.

Sweet dreams,

Team Luma

Hi Team Luma,

Thank you for your suggestion to provide a listing of our Trusted Members who offer custom to order and specialty mattresses. I am not sure if I successfully listed all, but I will comb through it and update this listing as time goes by. I agree that many manufacturers that are not set up to accommodate the need for built to order mattresses and components usually charge a premium for this. The good news is that many of our trusted members have very well priced made to order products and most of them are set up to accommodate consumers with special mattress needs.

@ Hi George 4144.

Among our trusted manufacturing members we have some “myth busters” that do not up-charge for customization! You can see a video here of one of our Trusted Members, Texas Mattress Makers, that has a different take on mattress customization costs.

Following lists In alphabetical order our Trusted Members that offer Custom sizes, Made to order and specialty mattress products and solutions.

This should give anyone interested in custom made-to-order affordable mattress and specialty mattresses a good starting point.

Phoenix

Truly some of the most in depth info I have ever come across in an online form. Thank you!!

We make a minimum of 50 custom size mattresses every day so add us to the list if you do not mind. To answer the original poster’s question: If it were me, I would rather have a king cut down than have pieces glued together for the mattress in question. The right glue will not give you any issues but it is just a cleaner finished product without the seams in the foam/latex etc…

Hi Christeli,

Thanks for the addition, I was not aware of this option that Christeli offers. … Good news! I’ll be shortly adding it to the custom made-to-order listing.
To complete the picture … what is the process that a consumer needs to follow to order a custom-made mattress?

Phoenix

All it usually takes is a phone conversation. Sometimes a template is required. There is typically no up charge for custom sizes.

Thank you so much for the insight on purchasing a new mattress! Its amazing how much research and information is on here and this forum has been absolutely fantastic in helping me narrow down the right mattress. Cheers!

Hi lacerum & Mitmot83

Thanks for the compliments about our site and for your support. I appreciate it!

@ Mitmot83 … Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:
I am glad the information here helped you narrow your choices and that you now sleep on the right mattress for you.

I’m looking forward to any comments or feedback you might have once you have the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix