Dreamfoam Mattresses (particularly, the Aria)

Hi, everyone! I have been looking for a mattress replacement, and this site was referenced to me by some friends who ultimately sought out a Dreamfoam mattress. They are very happy with their mattress, and I’d like to hear a few more opinions before I commit to buying.

My husband and I have been trying out memory foam mattresses locally, particularly TempurPedics. However, realistically, I don’t have a $4000 budget. As for me? I can sleep on just about anything soft to medium firm. I am a hard sleeper, but I can’t sleep on rocks. My husband prefers something a little more firm, and was preferable to the TempurPedic Rhapsody Breeze or the Serta iComfort that we tried in-store locally. I emailed Chuck at Dreamfoam earlier this week, and he stated that the Aria might be comparable, as well as the Supreme Gel if I preferred to go a little less firm. I am leaning towards the Aria at this point, any chance I could get some feedback from those that have purchased it?

Also, a question (which I can send on to Chuck, too): Does anyone know if the Aria’s top comfort layer is the gel foam? One thing that I really liked about the Breeze was how cool it stayed due to that layer’s position in the mattress construction.

Thanks in advance for the advice, and thank you to the leadership at Mattress Underground for providing this site - it’s a wealth of information, and I feel like I’m not going into my purchase nearly as blind as I was when I bought my last set of Sealy Mattresses 8 years ago.

Hi violane,

Hopefully some of the members here that have purchased it will see your post and share their feedback but it’s one of their newer mattresses and there isn’t a lost of comments or feedback about it on the forum. The only mentions of it in the forum are in this topic and in posts #1 and #2 here and in posts #1 and #2 here and in posts #1 and #2 here and in posts #163 and #164 here.

I would keep in mind that each person’s experience on the same mattress can be different because how a mattress feels will depend on their body type, sleeping positions, and individual sensitivities, perceptions, and preferences so a mattress that is “perfect” for one person may not be as suitable or feel the same to someone else so I would take other people experiences on a mattress with a grain of salt because it may not represent how it will feel for you.

There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here that may be helpful.

When you can’t test a mattress in person … then the most reliable source of guidance about how a mattress will “feel” based on the “averages” of most people will be the manufacturer themselves who will know more about their mattresses and how they compare to others than anyone else.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

As you probably know Dreamfoam is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

I’m also not sure if you are looking at an Amazon purchase or a purchase from their Dreamfoam site but I would also keep in mind that if you purchase from the Dreamfoam site there is a 45 day comfort guarantee and there is currently a 10% discount available (see their facebook page here).

Both of the memory foam layers in the Aria are gel memory foam (see the description here).

Phoenix

Hi elapid95,

The Aria is one of their firmest mattresses but all new mattresses will go through an initial break in period over the first few weeks and it can also take a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new sleeping surface depending on how different it is from the mattress you are used to sleeping on.

While you will need to wait for 30 days before you can return it (assuming you ordered from the Dreamfoam site), there are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful and by the time your break in and adjustment period is over you may find that it’s a good match for you if you prefer firmer memory foam mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi elapid95,

If you have an old Sealy box spring I think that’s probably a good idea :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share an update and let us know how things are going after you’ve slept on it for a while.

Phoenix

im sorry but i just updated my message asking if it would be okay to place the mattress on the ground for now until i can purchase the new platform?.. (and are you saying that it’s probably a good idea to get a new platform and get rid of the old Sealy box spring? lol i can’t really tell cause im tired and need better sleep which is why i bought a new mattres! :P)

Hi elapid95,

It would be OK to put it on the floor for the short term but I would put a blanket underneath it to help protect the mattress from dust and stains.

A memory foam mattress will do best on a firm, evenly supportive, and non flexing support surface so if you have a box spring (that flexes) it would be better to use it on a non flexing surface like a platform bed or foundation (or in the short term the floor). If you have a non flexing foundation (vs a box spring) and it’s still in very good condition with a flat, non flexing surface with no sagging or soft spots then it would be OK to use it (see post #9 here).

Phoenix

Hi elapid95,

A box spring has springs inside it that compress with pressure and a foundation has a rigid support surface that doesn’t compress when you put weight on it.

If your box spring/foundation has mold though then it’s time for it to go.

If there are mold spores in the air or you are in a humid environment then I would consider a couple of sheets or blankets so that they can absorb any moisture that gets trapped under the mattress to help prevent any mold or mildew from forming on your mattress and it may be a good idea to flip it over during the course of the day to let it air out once every few days as well.

Phoenix

After much deliberation (too much maybe, I’m in a a new place sharing a twin air mattress)
I’ve decided on the Ultimate Dreams Firm.
I considered Tuft & Needle and Casper based on my budget and wanting something shippable and portable.
At the end of the day, I ended of back at UD for the price and quality of a hybrid latex can’t be beat.
Will let you know how it goes…

Hi dontatkrust,

I switched your post to a new topic because the original topic was about a different mattress.

You certainly made a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi elapid,

That’s good news … thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi elapid95,

The support system under the mattress wouldn’t affect the performance of the gel memory foam itself and for most people it wouldn’t affect sleeping temperature because it’s too far away from the body for any additional airflow to have much effect on sleeping temperature. The airflow under the mattress is more directly connected to the risk of mold and mildew issues than sleeping temperature. It’s also possible that a support surface that has no flex (compared to a support system that has more flex) is forcing a little more of the compression to the top of the mattress which could have a small effect on temperature. While most people probably wouldn’t have temperature issues with this mattress regardless of the support surface, the temperature sensitivity and physiology of the person themselves is one of the biggest factors in how warm a mattress sleeps (along with the other variables mentioned in post #2 here) and since anything is possible … personal experience always “trumps” theory.

Anything that is used on top of memory foam will reduce the amount of body heat that reaches the memory foam and can affect how much it softens under pressure which can sometimes have a significant effect on the feel and performance of the mattress. It will add a little more resilience to the sleeping surface and some additional softness (depending on how soft and thick the topper is) which will have a combined effect with how much it firms up the memory foam underneath. The only way to know how it affects your sleeping temperature though would be to try it and see how it affects your actual sleeping experience

Phoenix
Note Added Later: To elapid95
I got your message…No problem! I will proceed with deleting your old posts as per your request.
Phoenix