Help decide on first memory foam, medium/firm <$1000 side/back sleeper

Have a comfortaire that we haven’t been totally satisfied with. I’m 6’ 175lbs, s/o is 5’ 120. We both sleep both back and side which makes things more difficult as I feel like when we get soft enough to comfortably side sleep then we lose the support needed for back sleeping and sometimes wake up with terrible back pain. Usually sleep with it inflated about 80%, so pretty firm, and there is not much foam on this model (3~")and I don’t think it is very high quality foam either.

Tried the local stores. S/O likes the Rhapsody Luxe the best, I liked either the Rhapsody Breeze or OMF Serenity. We would love to keep the price under $1000 for a queen, so looking at online options. Here is what we are thinking, any other recs or suggestions on what would be the best value proposition?

-Dreamfoam 13" Gel memory foam or Aria (which tempur models would these compare to?)
-Astoria by Christeli (also which model would this compare to)
-Danieli by Christeli (kinda out of budget at $1343, but read it compares to the Rhapsody, so if the other options aren’t a good fit might be able to increase the budget a bit)
Thanks

ps not dead sent on any model, so if somebody has a rec for both soft enough to side sleep, but firm enough to avoid low back pain when back sleeping, feel free to speak up

Hi ninjab,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

Unfortunately there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict which mattress would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on any specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” so if you can’t test a mattress in person then a more detailed conversation with an online retailer or manufacturer so they can help “talk you through” the options that have the best chance of working well for you can be one of the most important parts of a successful online purchase (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). A knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer or retailer will know more about their mattresses and how well they are likely to match different body types and sleeping positions or other mattresses than anyone else.

Having said that … the tutorial post has a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of and many of them make mattresses that are close approximations of some of the Tempurpedic lineup that include the Tempurpedic mattress that they are designed to approximate in the description. Even for those that don’t have a specific comparison in their description most of them would be familiar with the Tempurpedic line and can give you good guidance about which of their mattresses are closest to any of the Tempurpedic models that you prefer.

There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

Based on their description and on forum feedback this would be closest to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe.

They don’t make a specific comparison with this mattress to any of the Tempurpedic lineup but they do say that it’s a firmer model so it would likely be closest to some of the Tempurpedic mattresses that are listed as being in the “medium firm” range. They would be able to tell you more with a phone call.

Their description says that this is an approximation of the Tempurpedic Contour Signature.

As you mentioned … they compare this mattress to the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze.

There are also some others that make specific comparisons to the Rhapsody Breeze or the Rhapsody Luxe on the list as well including (off the top of my head) …

http://www.brooklynbedding.com/memory-foam-mattresses/cool-symphony-memory-foam

http://www.brooklynbedding.com/memory-foam-mattresses/purecool-symphony

http://www.selectfoam.com/cat-regalis-luxe-coolmax.html

http://www.tempflow.com/copia-mattress-model.htm

Phoenix

I’ll be interested in seeing responses from anyone who has tried these mattresses as well. I like the Rhapsody Luxe (though wonder if it’s just a tiny bit too firm), really like the OMF Serenity firm memory foam, and have been looking at the Christeli Danieli. (I’m just starting to explore the Dreamfoam.) Looks like we’re looking for close to the same thing. (Though I found the Rhapsody Breeze to be a bit too “squishy” on top when I tried it in the store.) Both the Danieli and the Serenity are a bit more than I’d like to spend, but it’s hard to find something comparable for less.

I’m also wondering if a combination of memory foam and latex layers might work (though that seems to run about the same cost-wise as the higher density memory foams).

Hi asdox,

This is a combination that many people like because it has a combination of the fast response feel of latex that is modified by the slower response and “sinking in feel” of memory foam underneath it (see post #18 here and post #15 here and posts #21 and #22 here for a few examples). In memory foam/latex combinations I personally like the feel of having latex on top of memory foam because I like a more resilient sleeping surface with less motion restriction with some of the slower sinking in feel of memory foam underneath it but others prefer the “feel” and lower resilience of having the memory foam on top. Of course there are many variations of this type of mattress with different layer thicknesses, types of memory foam and latex, and ILD’s of latex but in very general terms it has some of the “feel” of both materials that some people like a lot. The cost difference would depend on the type of latex but in very general terms latex tends to be more costly than memory foam.

Phoenix

Ended up getting the Casper and it turned out to be much too firm for side sleeping, guess we really want something more on the plush side because we mainly side sleep. Also think that having only 3" of comfort layer was not enough for side sleeping. Planning on getting the dreamfoam 13" now.

Hi ninjab,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

While it’s unfortunate that the Casper didn’t turn out to be a suitable choice for you … it’s great that you had the foresight to purchase a mattress with a good return policy that gives you the chance to try a mattress that you are unsure would be a good match for you in terms of PPP with little risk.

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback about the Dreamfoam 13" gel memory foam as well once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix