Europe Brands

hey guyz,

I have to buy a new mattress and I did some research on the internet, I also saw some very great mattress but the main problem is that all of them are available only in the USA… yeah I know, I could order it and remail it…etc… but high shipping fees + taxes (27% + tax in my country) … its not an option…:frowning:

so my question is, what do you think guys, where could I buy quality mattresses here in Europe ? I have visited some webstore but the problem is that the specifications say nothing at all… there are no exact parameters…

for example I really really like this one: brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/14-inch-aloe-latex-mattress

I definitely would buy this if I could live in the USA, but here in Europe… I do not know…

Hi yserius,

I have little knowledge of or familiarity with the specifics of the European market but in general the same “rules” and guidelines of choosing a mattress based on materials and brands would apply. Post #1 here is the first place I would start because it has the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the most informed decisions and make more meaningful quality and value comparisons between mattresses based on their construction and the materials inside them. The contents of a mattress are always more important than the brand label.

I would also keep in mind that your recourse and options after a purchase can be an important part of your “personal value equation” and if you buy a mattress that has to be shipped overseas then in practical terms any exchange or return options for either layers or the mattress itself may not be practical because of the cost of shipping so you would need to make sure that you have a very high level of confidence that any mattress you purchased would be suitable for your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

I have read it and if I am right, it could be a great progressive build: soft latex on the top, something medium firmness middle layer and something firmer on the bottom… if I can choose the materials then I choose this one: 3" Talalay latex ILD 14-18 + 3" Talalay Latex 25-30 ILD and firm HR foam or another latex but 35+ ILD

but the real world is different, I have searched some european brands and maybe the Dormiente this model: and Prolana has the exact build too, but I had to write them because no infos about the quality…Talalay or Dunlop, natural or blended and also no ILDs at all…
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: dormiente.com/en/solaris.html

I think they will not answer for my questions…but might they will… hope dies last.

Hi yserius,

While some of the more technical information on the site can be interesting and provide some generic ideas, I would keep in mind that they are very generic and not specific to any individual. They may make a good starting point but I would avoid the tendency to try and design your mattress based on specs unless you have considerable experience in testing many mattresses and have the extensive experience it would take to be able to predict how a certain set of specs may actually feel to you in real life. As you mention the “real world” can be very different from theory and once you have some basic information under your belt then the next step is to begin to research local retailers and manufacturers to narrow down the places you want to visit and make sure they have the knowledge, experience, and transparency that are an important part of your research before you begin to test mattresses.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: dormiente.com/en/solaris.html

While I have never tried them because they are not available in North America … both my DH and I were always attracted to the Dormiente Natural Latex series and I really like the leather accents on their covers.

I think that one of the keys to success is to first focus your research on “finding the experts” in your area (usually small or mid size local or regional manufacturers or some of the better retailers) on online if that is an option you are considering and then use their knowledge, experience, transparency, and willingness to “educate” you to help you find your “best” mattress. I would also talk with them in person and avoid email or written communication because you will receive much better information.

It’s much easier and more effective to find the experts than to try and become one yourself :slight_smile:

Phoenix

what do you think about this?

4living.co.uk/products/100%25-Natural-Latex-Mattress-For-Heavier-Body-Types.html

My bodyweight is 115kg so actually it is might good for me? maybe… price is so high !
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: 4living.co.uk/products/100%25-Natural-Latex-Mattress-For-Heavier-Body-Types.html

Hi yserius,

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: 4living.co.uk/products/100%25-Natura...vier-Body-Types.html

From what I can see it is 2" of 100% natural Dunlop latex over a middle 1.5" core of firmer rubberized coir.
I can only speak to the quality or value of a mattress (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) and in your case I have no idea of pricing for Europe so I can only really speak to the quality of the materials and both the latex and the rubberized coir are good quality materials and there are no obvious weak links in the mattress in terms of durability. The cover also uses high quality and breathable materials (cotton and wool).

They don’t have any information about the softness/firmness of the latex so even “theory” wouldn’t be any help and your own personal testing and experience would really be the only way to know how suitable it was in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Since you are about 250 lbs which is a heavier weight range you may need layers that are firmer than average and a little more thickness may also be more adaptive to different sleeping positions and provide better pressure relief but if you aren’t able to test it in person then a more detailed phone conversation with the manufacturer is the next best way to help you assess whether it may be suitable for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences based on the “averages” of any of their customers that may be similar to you in combination with any information you can provide them with similar mattresses you have tested in person.

Phoenix

well… I still did not buy any of them :))

I have searched new brands and modells and found 2 exciting mattress, what do you think about theese mattresses?

http://www.bedsrus.eu/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&Itemid=58&category_id=56&product_id=1355

bedsrus.eu/en/products/details/1479/17/mattresses/latex-mattresses/pirelli-ps16-100-natural-latex-mattress.html

They seems nice but I do not know talalay or dunlop technology what they use… I also do not know much about “technogel” technology, can you let me know some informations about this technology please? ( see this: bedsrus.eu/en/products/details/1454/70/mattresses/luxury-mattresses/scholl-top-luxury-mattress-with-m-covering.html )
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: bedsrus.eu/en/products/details/1454/70/mattresses/luxury-mattresses/scholl-top-luxury-mattress-with-m-covering.html |Archived Footprint 2: bedsrus.eu/en/products/details/1479/17/mattresses/latex-mattresses/pirelli-ps16-100-natural-latex-mattress.html

Hi yserius,

The Dorelan Delice appears to be 100% natural latex … probably Dunlop … which is a good quality material. It also has 9 zones (which are probably overkill) but if the zones are “right” for your body they may help with alignment.

The Pirelli PS16 also appears to use 100% natural latex (also probably Dunlop) and has 7 zones which is a little more reasonable but also probably overkill depending on how well you “fit” the zones.

In terms of materials they appear to be very similar and the Delice has 1 cm more latex than the Pirelli so they would be very comparable in terms of the quality of the materials. Of course you would still need to test each one to see which is most suitable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because they are probably different in terms of the softness/firmness of the layers inside each of the mattress.

You can read a little more about soft solid gels such as Technogel in post #4 here and there is more about gel materials in general in post #2 here. A forum search on Technogel (you can just click this) will bring up more information about it as well.

Phoenix

well I have tried to buy Pirelli mattress but the webstore is closed until september… I had busy days and I was yesterday in IKEA and tried the 80% synthetic latex but I did not want to buy it… I would like to have 100% natural one…

it is a pain that the webstore is closed, no one answered to my email several days but when I have placed an order and left a notice why they did not answer to my emails, they have sent me an email and said that the store is closed in august… so the store is closed but they watch the orders but they did not watch their emails…cant beleive it… so I do not want to buy from them anymore…

I have found this: https://www.yanismattresses.co.uk/products/mattresses/natural_latex_mattresses/914/superior_latex_mattress_euro_king_160x200cm_medium.html

maybe it is low quality…? because of the price…

Hi yserius,

[quote]I have found this: Box 0201 in Medium D/Wall. I/D 1186 x 786 x 722mm, plain, stitched - Ext Dims 1200 x 800 x 750mm - Mics - Latex Sense

maybe it is low quality…? because of the price… [/quote]

It doesn’t say the blend of the latex so I would ask them about this (both Talalay and Dunlop come in 100% natural and blended versions and the word “natural” is sometimes used to describe both because they both include natural latex) but both blended and 100% natural is a good quality material in any version (which includes the Ikea). The cover is a basic unquilted bamboo cover which is a good quality material that has a very nice feel to it and wicks moisture very well.

You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here but I would treat all talalay latex and any Dunlop latex that had 50% or higher natural content as a high quality material relative to other types of foam.

The Bamboo

thank you, I am going to ask them about it !!!

the main problem is that I would like to have 100% natural latex mattress but I would like to have it in a cheaper version… you know for example I like Dormiente too, it seems very good, but 2000 GBP (more than USD 3000) for a 160x200cm mattress is very much… in my country the average monthly income is about USD 600, mine is higher but I do not want to make the money fly…

so its a difficult situation, pirelli seems very good but the webstore was rude and I have sent an email to Pirelli, asked them where I can buy online Pirelli latex mattress, but no answer…

and as you said there is high quality dunlop mattress and there is also low quality talalay latex matress… talalay or dunlop, it means nothing, actually we never will know the quality… but everything depends on the qquality

its very bad situation ! :slight_smile:

Hi yserius,

There really isn’t any “low quality” latex except perhaps relative to other types of latex and depending on what someone means by quality. With Talalay that’s even more true because the percentage of natural latex isn’t always the main factor in quality or durability and in the lowest ILD’s blended may be more durable than the 100% natural Talalay. Even 100% synthetic latex is a high quality material relative to other types of foam although I would look at 50% natural and above in Dunlop and of course for those where a higher natural content is important then 100% natural in both types of latex would be the preference.

Phoenix

the answer:

"Hello again,

We use more than 98% natural liquid latex for both the Dunlop and Talalay
latex. The other 2% are forming additives like natural soaps, gelling agents
and vulcanizing paste that are essential for the manufacturing process.

Kind regards,

Teodor
Yanis Mattresses"

i have said that what u said (both Talalay and Dunlop come in 100% natural and blended versions and the word “natural” is sometimes used to describe both because they both include natural latex) and this is the answer

Hi yserius,

This would be what most people call 100% natural Dunlop latex which generally means that all the latex sued to make the material is from 100% natural sources and there is no synthetic latex in the material. All latex needs soaps, curing agents, accelerators, antioxidants, gelling agents and other materials in the formula that are necessary to turn raw latex into a foamed layer so no latex is 100% latex even though it uses 100% natural rubber. This is a good quality material.

Phoenix

Hello,

I am so glad that I found this website. In the last year I started to study about natural certified organic mattress, and am still doing a lot of research. It is so hard to find a good mattress, especially not toxic and good for health. I have to buy two new mattresses, one for me and my husband and one for our 4 years old baby girl. I did little research on the internet. I saw a lot of great mattresses in USA, and I almost wanted to order, but most of them do not ship in Europe. I am living in Cyprus a small island, and basically here people have no interest or information on natural certified organic latex mattress. Most of the people are buying from IKEA those mattresses made of artificial latex or polyurethane.
I found the company Dormiente here in UK , their mattresses are made in Germany and they answered to my e-mail quite quick. “For our mattresses they use 100% organic cotton, 100% organic wool and 100% natural QUL certified latex. The mattresses are completely untreated.
Information regarding the certificates can be seen on Dormiente’s website.”
I don’t how to make sure I will buy the perfect mattresses. What kind of information I should look for.
I far I was educating myself from the internet, it is important to buy all-natural, with untreated wool, labelled “Pure Grow Wool,” with Organic cotton and Natural latex, and derived from rubber trees. 100% free of any type of chemicals, and flame-retardant chemicals. I need to add something else?

I would be grateful for advice, i.e: how to distinguee the real natural certified organic latex 100% free of any chemicals, toxins or fire retardants?
What kind of Certificates are proving the quality and of the mattress?
How can I find which mattress is more suitable for me and for and for my toddler.
I am very slim person only 47 kg and 1, 65 m, sportive and 30 years old.
I am very sensitive and I am looking for something free of toxins, chemicals. How I can be sure there are no chemicals in the mattress?
I would be very grateful for your information, advise .
Thank you
This is their website I have I am not sure which one I should choose:
https://www.dormiente.com/en/matresses-of-natural-latex.html

We want to use the mattresses for at last for 10-15 years

Hi Eternalife,

The only reliable way to to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs (regardless of whether they are natural or synthetic) so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification. If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” … regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here or C2C in post #13 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold (see post #2 here) or C2C (see post #13 here) and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (offgassing).

The latex in the Dormiente mattresses is 100% natural Dunlop which is a very high quality, durable, and “safe” material but as far as I know it doesn’t have an organic certification.

Any type or blend of latex is a very durable material relative to other types of foam materials such as memory foam or polyfoam and I wouldn’t have any durability concerns with latex in general.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else and their guidance can greatly improve your chances of success if you are inside the “averages” that their guidance and suggestions are based on.

There is a more information in post #2 here and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and “suitable” and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here that should be helpful although the specific mattresses that are mentioned in the links may only be available in North America and may not be available in Europe.

I would keep in mind that every mattress in the industry contains some type of “chemicals” and that even pure water is a chemical. 100% natural latex and organic latex also includes “some” chemicals (see post #18 here). The real issue that I would focus on is safety which depends on the specific chemicals and the amount of each chemical (safety is dosage related) and the only way to identify any safety issues would be based on the lab testing and certifications for the materials and components in the mattress or the mattress as whole.

While there is no way to specifically quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when they will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for them (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) and because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” beyond that would be higher as well.

There is also more detailed information about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress (and the materials inside it) in post #4 here and the posts it links to as well.

Phoenix