Extremely overwhelmed. Need mattress recommendations and retailer recommendations in Atlanta, Georgia

I’ve browsed this forum for a bit and also the r/mattress subreddit. I’m still confused about all the technical jargon when it comes to mattresses. We’re also first time homeowners and have been sleeping on our old mattress (which is now a guest room mattress, so we’ve been sleeping in the guest room until we get our mattress). Been getting lots of upper back pain lately, it’s becoming unbearable. Here’s a breakdown about what I’m looking for and what we need help with:

Wife:
-Side and stomach sleeper
-Prefer medium-soft, plush, etc.
-Weigh 190lbs
-Height 5ft 2in

Me:
-Back and side sleeper
-Prefer medium-soft, plush, etc.
-Weigh 240lbs
-Height 5ft 8in

We both get hot easily, have back pain often, shoulder pain at times, and require lots of support, comfort, and pressure relief. I’m thinking a latex would be good for our needs but I still have no idea.

We went to a mattress firm and tried a tempur-pedic probreeze and both really liked it along with the adjustable base. I just can’t justify the price of one and saw the review saying quality has declined. So with that said we also want something durable and long lasting.

I’m also looking for reputable retailers in the Atlanta, Georgia and surrounding areas. I saw some threads that had good recommendations but they were outdated and most of the retailers closed or no longer exist. Really need help, feel like I’m going insane. Super overwhelmed with everything.

Please someone help, any recommendations are appreciated!

Hi oldsoulkt and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

I’ve browsed this forum for a bit and also the r/mattress subreddit. I’m still confused about all the technical jargon when it comes to mattresses. We’re also first time homeowners and have been sleeping on our old mattress

As you have probably read, any mattress you choose will be unique to the two of you based on your stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - well done providing those! - and PPP ( Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you haven’t already, I would recommend reading the Mattress Shopping Tutorial for tips on how to determine a good mattress manufacturer or retailer, whether online or brick-and-mortar.

We both get hot easily, have back pain often, shoulder pain at times, and require lots of support, comfort, and pressure relief. I’m thinking a latex would be good for our needs but I still have no idea.

We went to a mattress firm and tried a tempur-pedic probreeze and both really liked it along with the adjustable base. I just can’t justify the price of one and saw the review saying quality has declined.

You are on the right track, as you are already doing some in person testing - which is a great idea when you are not sure of the type of mattress you are looking for…as you and your wife are higher BMI sleepers you are going to want to make sure any new mattress will provide adequate support as well as comfort, so testing different types of mattresses will help you come up with a ‘short list’ of types you both feel comfortable on; once you have that you will be able to better consider the specific mattress that meets your own criteria.

With just the information you provided, you might want to avoid memory foam, as many consumers find it sleeps ‘hot’; as well, memory foam made of inexpensive foam of insufficient density (such as used by many of the ‘big brands’ can wear out prematurely, leaving ‘ridges’ and ‘valleys’ which can cause joint and muscle aches and pains and even alignment issues (we suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support). Any manufacturer that is not transparent on the specifications (thickness, density, and the like) would raise a lot of red flags for me.

So with that said we also want something durable and long lasting

You say you are considering latex…this could be a good solution for you, though you probably should do some in person testing, if possible to try out a few different firmnesses of latex, and if possible all latex as well as latex hybrids, just to get an idea of how comfortable you feel.

As you both prefer a plush feel, you need to make sure the mattress has a higher profile - of 10-11"; Thicker mattresses/layers can cumulatively feel softer…with a thicker mattress (or layers) you can use firmer layers on top that are more adaptable to a greater range of weights and sleeping positions; if the top comfort layer is insufficiently thick, or too soft, you may end up ‘bottoming out’ to the firmer layer(s) below, which again can cause aches pains and alignment issues. As you can see in the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines. Latex is one of the most durable mattress materials available; if
you enjoy the feel, a well made latex mattress should last for many years.

I’m also looking for reputable retailers in the Atlanta, Georgia and surrounding areas. I saw some threads that had good recommendations but they were outdated and most of the retailers closed or no longer exist. Really need help, feel like I’m going insane. Super overwhelmed with everything.

You are doing fine! It’s not uncommon to feel ‘analysis paralysis’ while looking for a new mattress. Unfortunately, with all the changes in the business landscape over the last few years, we can no longer provide geographic listings of manufacturers and showrooms; if you are considering purchasing online, you may want to look at the offerings from the Trusted Members of the site…we have vetted these manufacturers for quality, transparency, excellent customer device and generous return/exchange policies. By providing them with your Stats, PPP and mattress history, they can help guide you in finding the perfect sleep solution.

To make a point, for you, or anyone following along who might not have the time or inclination to start ‘mattresses 101’ and all the associated ‘mattress jargon’ this is an example of what @Phoenix suggests:
" It is important to approach companies that have a many years of experience. In dealing directly with a manufacturer they are not in danger of reaching a sales agent many of which are mostly interested in making a commission from a sale.

For example you can always reach out to trusted manufacturers such as The Mattress Factory, a fifth generation mattress maker who started the company in 1896. Peter Duncan is the owner and Trey Duncan (his son) who is coming from behind with full energy and dedication, provides service and products at a much better price points and customer guidance that the larger national brands cannot provide. The son, Trey, grew up among mattresses and is now fully running the retail floor of the company in Fort Worth, Texas. They also sell on line and will take the time to speak with each consumer and customize for each sleeper.

As a D2C manufacturer their reputation is at stake and they thrive by putting their knowledge and experience at work in service of the consumer. Also by using quality foams and materials in their products … such as natural Talalay latex from Vita Talalay, higher density memory foams and polyfoams, and organic and natural cotton. This is why TMU has vetted them as a Trusted Member. You can get connected with these smaller manufactures that have products of great quality at a much better price point than a major brand where most of their efforts go into advertising and maximizing profit at the cost of the consumer.

If you have questions about specific mattresses, we can possibly comment on how they may work for you. Hopefully others in or near Atlanta can chime in with their own experiences as well.

~ Basilio