Factory Direct Mattress Manufacturers near Los Angeles, CA

Hi Phoenix, I will for sure once mom has her bed…just want to make sure everything works out first :wink:

I can tell you that one of the places we visited thanks to this forums recommendtion, but didn’t end up buying from, was custom comfort mattress in mission Viejo, CA. VERY helpful and knowledgable staff. They also don’t work on commission and do not hassle for the sake of sales. Even though we didn’t buy there, mom had a MUCH better experience than at Sears.

jchiu003,
Did you end up purchasing a mattress from flexus? If so, any comments on delivery experience and comfort so far? I am moving to LA and looking into Flexus along with Latexpedic.
Thank you

Hello–

There are two supposed “factory direct” manufacturers in Ventura California about 70 miles from LA.

In an effort to shop local, I purchased a mattress from local company Organic Roots Mattress.
http://www.organicrootsmattress.com/

The model I purchased is the Santa Fe, which the website states is Organic Latex Foam.

Santa Fe - Organic Green
Unit 338 Foam Encased .75 Oz Pad, 2" Organic Foam
Non/Flip .75 Oz Organic Pad - .5" Organic Foam (1.5 Density)
Cover - Organic Green 2oz Org Cotton/1oz Org Wool
Fabric Content - 100% Untreated Organic Fabric

I am not happy with the product. It started to sag after only 7 months of wear, but not enough to invoke warranty. I believe is the cause of major shoulder and neck problems. After much discussion with the owner, I discovered that this mattress contains innersprings as well as soy-based foam. Neither of these were mentioned during the sale or on the website. I was so disgusted with the entire process that I just donated the mattress to charity.

The other local factory is Spencer’s
http://www.venturamattress.com/

I did buy a 100% natural latex topper from this place in an effort to “save” my organic mattress. So far I have been pleased with this item. But am very cautious about purchasing another mattress from a local company for fear of being lied to or ripped off again.
This company has almost no warranty on mattresses or return policy.

Has anyone else dealt with either of these companies?
Thank You

Hi Phoenix which of these business in the Los Angeles area would you recommend? I don’t have a lot of free time to go to many stores. I would rather go straight to best reputable one of this list and pick one of their mattress.
Thanks

Hi Ronald,

Outside of the members of the site I don’t make specific recommendations and even then it would depend on the specifics of what you are looking for. Each person can have a very different definition of “best” based on their own personal value equation so my focus is on helping with how to choose instead of what to choose. I would talk to the ones that are within reasonable driving distance on the phone and tell them the criteria that are most important to you (including your budget) and which materials and types of mattresses you prefer or want to test (step 3 of the guidelines) and then visit the ones that you feel most comfortable with after your phone calls (step 4 of the guidelines).

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,
Here’s my dilemma. I’m a big guy- 6’ 4" 270lbs and my wife is 5’8" 120lbs. I concerned that we both need such a different level of support due to our weight difference that it is going to make it difficult to find a mattress we both like. To make it more complicated, I like a more plush/soft feet and she likes a more firm feel. I’ve been considering memory foam and latex as an alternative to springs, but dont know which would be best in our situation. Do you have any recommendations for the type of mattress that would work best or us. I plan to check out selectabed, based on your recommendations here, as we live around the corner from their location. Any other best bets for our situation? Thank you.

Hi bedhead,

Before I started looking more seriously into mattresses, I didn’t know you could get ‘side to side zoned mattresses’. Basically, within one mattress, each side is customized to be more suitable for each person. It’s helpful when there are large differences in needs between partners. Lots of companies do this, so by no means are the two companies I’m about to mention the only ones that do this - they just happened to have good online material about it that I remember without digging around. Check out savvyrest and FloBeds websites.

That said, hopefully you’ve had a chance to check out the mattress shopping tutorial. The link is in the top right side of the page. It goes over the basics for how to find the most suitable mattress for yourself.

Hi bedhead,

Outside of dn’s great comments and suggestions … the first part of post #2 here has more about choosing a mattress that can match the needs and preferences of a couple with very different body types, sleeping styles, or preferences.

There is also a link in the tutorial post to the members here that sell mattresses online and many of these sell mattresses that can be customized separately on each side.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware in in the general Los Angeles region are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve been sleeping on a 6 yr old Sterns and Foster. I wake up tired and in pain in my mid-drift area. After tons of medical tests the conclusion is I need to replace my mattress. I actually tried to replace it shortly after I bought it since it quickly started to sag but after a home visit I was denied.

I’ve seen your LA list of manufactures but so many of them are pushing foam/latex mattresses. We have a family member who is very allergic to latex so have to stay away from those. I will never buy from Macy’s or another major chain again. Can you narrow down some good options from your independent list? I start out on my back then flip flop between sides. I also am in the stage of life where I have hot flashes and just can’t get a good sleep. I do move around a lot but maybe that is because my current mattress is so bad.

I appreciate your help!

Hi tiredgal,

Just in case you are looking at a different list … the Los Angeles list is in post #2 here.

I just did a quick scan and only 3 of them (Foam Sweet Foam, Electropedic, and The Clean Bedroom) focus mainly on latex and would be worth excluding if you wanted to avoid latex (and The Clean Bedroom has some innerspring / natural fiber mattresses although these are in a higher budget range). All of the rest would have either regular innerspring or memory foam mattresses that don’t have any latex.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

There is also more in post #2 here about the factors that can affect sleeping temperature that may be helpful in helping you identify materials and components that may sleep cooler.

Phoenix

Thanks for your quick reply! :slight_smile:

Hi Folks, Phoenix
I’m looking for a place near me (Los Feliz CA) to try some latex mattress toppers. I’ll likely buy online and want to feel before I order.
I really appreciate the list you’ve compiled. However, without a map it’s kind of daunting.

So I made one.

Here it is: Factory-Direct Mattress Stores Near Los Angeles (from TheMattressUnderground.com) - Google My Maps
Feel free to share it. You can make a copy and take it over if you like. Thanks for the great site!
Joe

Hi joesh,

That’s awesome … thank you :slight_smile:

I’ve added a link to your map in the Los Angeles list and I think it will help many people.

Phoenix

Thanks! Any tips on where I might be able to lie on some good quality toppers? I’m considering the Spindle medium and the BB 28-32.

Hi joesh,

Locally you may want to try Flexus, Selectabed, PJ’s Sleep Company, The Clean Bedroom, or Good Night Mattress. Some of the others may also carry toppers but they don’t list them on their site and I don’t know if they have any off the top of my head.

If you are looking online then the component post here has some of the better online sources for all types of toppers I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix – seriously great site, I’ve been obsessively lurking the past few weeks and have 20 tabs open of posts I still need to read!
That being said, I am based in LA and feel like I have done enough research to make my head pop out and just need to buy a new mattress…ideally in the next week as we are expecting our first child any day now!

Here’s where we are:

I’m 230lbs, 6’4" and my wife is 115lbs, 5’10" (at normal weight). I like firm (30+ ILD), wife prefers medium firm. I’ve been more of a stomach sleeper on the current mattress but we’re mostly side sleepers (with me preferring to sleep on my back if I’m on a firm enough mattress).

We are replacing a Cal King Simmons BeautyRest Black Olivia we got from Sleepy’s 4 years ago as I have back pain every morning. So frustrating, but what can you do?

We went to PJ’s last week and they were pushing us hard on the Ivy Organics Latex Firm and Medium mattresses, which we liked, but after reading this post and others, it seems like there are comparable, better value and lower cost local alternatives in our area.

Here’s what we think we want in our new mattress after visiting PJ’s and doing a ton of research:

1. Cal King
  2. 100% Talalay (Blended/Synthetic for durability) or 100% natural dunlop for both core and support layers
    a. From Latex International or Radium.
    b. Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut for latex CERTIFICATION
  3. Highest quality and density possible (esp upper layers, top 5-6") since I’m heavier in weight. I’m assuming over 2lbs.+
  4. IDL – probably above 30 (firm). The Ivy Organics Firm was too firm but the medium was a little too soft for me (perfect for my wife). Wife isn’t really into a split design mattress.
  5. 2-sided design – again we value durability here given our current mattress.
  6. 100% all natural wool covering
  7. 10 year + warranty w/ 3/4 depth gap or less – which I suppose is less important if materials are high quality.
  8. Budget: $2000-3000 give or take
  9. Foundation – we’ll also be getting a new platform bed frame w/ slats w/ 2" gaps or less. No box spring, but open to using a bunky board if our new bed frame doesn’t work with a latex mattress. My wife wants a frame w/ a nice headboard from Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn (eyeing this one: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/adella-upholstered-platform-bed-headboard/?pkey=e|adella|1|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=Quicklook ).

As I said, we’re based in LA and from this post; it looks like there are a ton of local options, which my wife prefers vs buying online. I want to pick a MAXIMUM of 3 stores to visit and want to pick the ones that have the highest likelihood of meeting all/most of our criteria above, ideally in close proximity to each other. Alternatively, if there is one store that can meet all of these needs, we’re ready to buy this weekend.

Help?

Hi hershcules,

[quote]Here’s what we think we want in our new mattress after visiting PJ’s and doing a ton of research:

1. Cal King
  2. 100% Talalay (Blended/Synthetic for durability) or 100% natural dunlop for both core and support layers
    a. From Latex International or Radium.
    b. Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut for latex CERTIFICATION
  3. Highest quality and density possible (esp upper layers, top 5-6") since I’m heavier in weight. I’m assuming over 2lbs.+
  4. IDL – probably above 30 (firm). The Ivy Organics Firm was too firm but the medium was a little too soft for me (perfect for my wife). Wife isn’t really into a split design mattress.
  5. 2-sided design – again we value durability here given our current mattress.
  6. 100% all natural wool covering
  7. 10 year + warranty w/ 3/4 depth gap or less – which I suppose is less important if materials are high quality.
  8. Budget: $2000-3000 give or take
  9. Foundation – we’ll also be getting a new platform bed frame w/ slats w/ 2" gaps or less. No box spring, but open to using a bunky board if our new bed frame doesn’t work with a latex mattress. My wife wants a frame w/ a nice headboard from Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn (eyeing this one: www.potterybarn.com/products/adella-upho...7C1&cm_src=Quicklook ).[/quote]

I’m not clear on whether you are looking for an all latex mattress or a latex hybrid because one of your criteria (2 lb) would only apply to polyfoam not to latex but if you are looking for an all latex mattress then I’m not so sure I would include a two sided mattress as one of your main criteria because it would limit your options both in terms of availability and in terms of the mattress designs that would be possible. You would also lose the ability to include component latex mattresses in your choices which allow you to choose individual layers and replace individual layers down the road if your needs and preferences change over time or if one or the layers softens or breaks down before the others. While I wouldn’t exclude two sided latex mattresses either because even with latex they can be more durable than their one sided counterparts … I wouldn’t limit your choices to only 2 sided with latex. There is more about the pros and cons of two sided mattresses in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

I also wouldn’t decide on any ILD specs ahead of time either and I would let your body do the testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because ILD is only one of several specs in that determines the firmness/softness of a foam material and ILD is also not directly comparable between different types of latex or between latex and other types of material.

Unfortunately I don’t keep records of all the individual mattresses that each of the retailers or manufacturers in the dozens of local or regional lists throughout the forum have on their floor because it would be an impossible job for one person to keep up with in a market that is constantly changing in all the many areas around the country. I also don’t have the time to look through each of their websites or make the phone calls for each of the members here to find out which of the options in the list would have mattresses that meet all your criteria so I have to leave the narrowing down process up to each of the individual members here.

Having said that … Flexus Comfort is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service and transparency. They make component latex mattresses and latex hybrids (two sided) and I would recommend that you include them as a priority in your research.

Foam Sweet Foam also makes a wide range of component latex mattresses from 6" to 15" and I also think highly of them and the owner Scott. (NOTE: They are now a member of this site).

I know that Electropedic makes two sided “finished” (not component) latex mattresses and Bedsetc may carry them as well.

Paramountmatt and Customcomfortmattress both make high quality two sided latex mattresses as well but these may be in higher budget ranges.

These aren’t all the options that would probably meet your criteria but they are at least a few off the top of my head :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry about the confusion on the 2lbs…, we want to go all latex and will check out some of these spots this weekend and report back. You rock!

Sorry one more question - is there such a thing as a two-sided hybrid AND component all latex mattress? So you could not only swap out the layers, but rotate it like a regular 2-sided mattress?

If so, do you know who might carry those in LA? Thanks again phoenix!!!

Hi hershcules,

Not that I’m aware of no. The layers might shift each time you flipped it so you would probably need to open up the mattress and “wave” them back into position and you would lose many of the design advantages of a progressive layering approach that goes from firm on the bottom to softer on the top so it’s not something that would have a real advantage.

The closest “approximation” you would probably see is a firm two sided latex mattress (probably with a single 6" core with a quilted two sided cover) that you could flip and then you can add a separate latex topper on top which was replaceable but the soft topper would always be on top.

Phoenix