Factory Direct Mattresses in the Toronto, ON and GTA area.

Hey insomniacsrus,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words about trusted member Memory Foam Comfort’s website; as Phoenix mentioned earlier, they have a very good selection of latex mattresses and hybrids in this topic’s general price range. Did you purchase a mattress from MFC or are you still researching?

Thanks,
Sensei

We couldn’t find a king all-latex bed which has enough layers to be comfy AND <2000. But looks like we’re staying under $3000 for frame + mattress.

Think it’ll be (from north shore linens) :

6" 35-40 ILD - 2 individually covered twin XL’s
2" 25-30 ILD - king
2" 14-18 ILD - king

We’re thinking north shore linens mainly because it worked out cheaper, but also if anything does go wrong and we need to use the warranty a local place seems easier.

I do have a question about layers and cases though sensei, if you wouldn’t mind!
So at the moment we’re thinking a separate layer system: each of the 6" twin XL’s in their own cover, then either each of the king 2" layers in their own covers or both in one cover.
The reasoning behind that was so it’s be easier to rotate and flip each component - if they’re all in one case it’ll be a pain and therefore less likely to actually happen!
But I don’t know if that’s better or worse for heat dissipation? My partner is an absolute furnace so we’re trying to get a setup with that in mind (breathable covers, wool topper, linen sheets, well ventilated slat base)

Btw for anyone looking for latex in the Vancouver area I do thoroughly recommend checking out mattresses there - owners are lovely, can talk you through options and help you try out different layers (and also leave you alone to try it out for ages). They don’t have all possible layers in all possible thicknesses on hand but they have enough for you to experiment (and I expect would be willing to work with you to try out a specific combo on a later date).

Trying them out was super useful in figuring out what layers we actually wanted and this was the only place in Vancouver we found which had separate layers we could mess around with.

Since it has not been mentioned in this thread, there is also Cloud Nine Furniture (https://cloudninefurniture.ca/) that offer latex beds in the Vancouver area. They have a mobile showroom.

Hi insomniacsrus,

Another store in Vancouver where you can go and try different layers of organic dunlop latex (in all thicknesses and ILD’s), as well as complete latex mattresses is Majestic Sit and Sleep They are owned by Nature’s Embrace Organic Latex Mattresses and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. They also sell individual covers for the latex layers as well as mattress covers if you want to do it yourself (DIY).

Hope this gives you more options in the Vancouver area.

all the best

Thanks CBHWoodFurniture for mentioning Cloud Nine to Forum members:) . They are on track of becoming a trusted member of TMU once all criteria is met. Recently, Phoenix visited their mobile showroom at Ambleside market I North Vancouver and saw great potential in this form of mobile display, they are servicing consumers with only top quality products.

Cheers,
Sensei

Thanks for your question, insomniacsrus!

Yes, it is correct to think of a modular system like this when it comes to rotating … just a few things to keep in mind:
• Usually latex does not need much rotation if at all. Rotating a system would not have an impact on the temperature
• All the covers and enclosures will alter the feel and comfort/support balance of the system depending on how tight/lose they are
• sleeping temperature, the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin
• There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. Latex itself is a quite breathable material.
• Latex in general is also the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. While it’s also not always possible to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

@CBHWoodFurniture, thanks for mentioning Cloud Nine Furniture to our Vancouver shoppers!

@MFC, thanks too for the Majestic Sit and Sleep mention for Vancouver shoppers. Always appreciate when TMU Trusted Members help out the consumer :slight_smile: .

Thanks,
Sensei

So great to find this site and thread!!

We are replacing a Stearns and Foster coil with foam that was purchased at The Bay. Definitely not doing that again!

We are looking for something on the medium/firm side. We have an existing bed so not looking for anything that requires a special system. Budget $1200-1600 (inc box spring/base).

We sleep combination of back, side, front. I am 5’3" 145 lb with upper and lower back pain, DH is 5,9" 180lb with some lower back pain.

We are thinking of latex or a latex hybrid. We do not want memory foam - DH runs hot and this has been an issue in the past.

We looked at DreamStar - not sure of quality. We have asked around and full latex is out of our price range - and likely too heavy for our bed.

And we prefer purchasing a mattress we can try first. Located in Toronto/North York.

Edit: we find being sure of PPP difficult as it takes time to really relax and get a feel for the mattress in 5 min intervals (where we are also changing positions),

Looking for suggestions on latex/hybrid with price tag that won’t keep us up at night ?

Thnx!

Hey Pie2,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile: ! We hope you’ll find the resources here useful for navigating your mattress shopping journey. Thanks for your kind words and question.

What size mattress do you currently have? The difference in pricing from queen to king size is around $500+, so that would be good to know given the price range you are shopping in.

Yes, latex would be a good choice in this case. Latex in general is considered the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well.

We always recommend our Trusted Members to consumers first; they are knowledgeable, responsive, and most importantly transparent with their business practices. CBH Wood Furniture, Dormio Organic Beds and SnugSleep all have showrooms in Toronto, all feature natural latex layers and may have something in your budget.

Since you’re referencing “PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences)”, I’m guessing you’ve checked out TMU’s mattress shopping tutorial? Phoenix does a thorough job guiding consumers through the complexities of buying a new mattress, a really good guide for understanding the research and purchase process.

Keep in touch and let us know how things go.

Cheers,
Sensei

SleeponLatex - Queen
Shipped to Burnaby, BC in September. Took 10 days.

Total Cost: $1,413.00 CAD.

$1212.91 for the Mattress w/ 5% TMU discount, FedEx Ground and conversion fee.
$200.09 for the taxes and FedEx brokerage fees.
Note: There’s no duties as the mattress is assembled in the US.

You could also explore looking into getting it shipped to Blaine and driving down to pick it up as that would save you the shipping fees which amounted to well over $200. There was no way that I would have been able to fit the mattress in my car so I didn’t look into whether any place would even be willing to hold such a heavy box.

Just providing others in the area an idea of how much SleeponLatex will cost you.

Hi Saint,

Can you please give us a bit more info on the mattress you bought, just so we can compare apples to apples
Size?
Thickness?
What’s the cover made of?
What type of latex (talalay, dunlop, organic dunlop)

Thanks

MFC - I may be able to help answer your questions. Saint stated it was the SoL queen, so assuming they got the Standard version it’s a total of 8" of ‘natural’ (not organic) Dunlop latex, with a 6" base layer and 2" comfort layer. It has a cover of cotton quilted with some wool which makes the completed mattress height 8.5 to 9". You can see further details on the Sleep On Latex website, hope this helps!

Oh my gosh I meant to respond to this ages ago and then was plagued by colds!

In any case thank you so much for your reply, Sensei! I really appreciated it :smiley:

Update -

After some research (and checking out TMU resources) we have put a deposit on our CBH WOOD/Swiss Dreams Bed!

After meeting Hendrik and trying out the bed - we felt it was the best possible option. He did not rush us. Answered all of our questions. Overall was very easy to deal with.

Will update once we have tried it out at home.

Looking forward to better sleep.

Thanks for the update Pie2 and for the positive feedback on TMU trusted member CBH Wood Furniture :slight_smile: .

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your new Swiss Dreams Bed after your initial sleep “adjustment period” has passed…and to you’re having better sleep :slight_smile: .

Thanks,
Sensei

What size mattress did you get? I’m curious what it feels like sleeping on or near the center of CBH beds either alone or with a partner. Was there that weird feeling of more firmness toward the center than the sides, thus making you want to roll away from the center?

Hi all, found my way here after being overwhelmed by conflicting information and opinions on Reddit. I’m looking to replace an old cheap mattress that might very well be contributing to my lower back problems.

I’m 5’10", 160 lbs and my wife is 5’6", 110 lbs. We are both side sleepers and we both prefer a medium-firm to firm mattress with a plush top. I am hoping for a pocket coil latex hybrid. From my initial search on this website, it seems like the places in Toronto that come highly recommended only carry latex mattresses. I’m going to begin calling and visiting some places but I was wondering if anyone has had success finding a great pocket coil latex hybrid.

Some notes after checking out the websites on the first post…

Marshall: their most luxurious option is the Curated series, which are all tight tops mattresses. The Inspired series, which is their next tier, offers the pillow top which I’m after. Any thoughts on why they would go with a tight top for their high-end models? I’m also not really sure what to make of the materials that they mention (copper fibre, alpaca wool, eucapytus padding, GOTS-certified latex, soy foam).

Ideal Mattress: the Crescendo is a hybrid option but there’s a lack of information on the product page. It mentions “HR Natural latex body contouring perforated breathable foam” and I’m not really sure what that means.

Dream Time Mattress: several hybrid options but they’re pocket coil with foams rather than latex (I’m looking at the Emperor’s Dream Series and the Supreme Series). Please correct me if I’m wrong, but my impression is that latex is the better material.

Dreamstar: similar to Dream Time Mattress, they have some hybrid options but they’re pocket coil with foams.

Any help is appreciated!

Hey gobanana,

Welcome to the TMU forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question and for your patience, apologies for the delayed response.

Congrats on your progress, sounds like you are doing a good job of combining site searches with store visits, a sound way to begin your mattress comparison process. For other consumer subscribers who may be starting their own mattress selection research, I recommend a read-through of the Mattress Shopping Tutorial: How to look for and find the best mattress…For You, a detailed article covering the 5 steps involved in making the best quality/ value choice.

Generally speaking, tight top mattresses outsell pillow top models on the upper end of mattress offerings where customers prefer a “firmer” feel.

The “materials” reference indicates a marketing story where the manufacturer is primarily using natural materials in the mattresses.

The Ideal Mattress website states that they are a “direct-to-consumer mattress manufacturer specializing in custom made organic mattresses.” While the site gives a breakdown of all their organic components and certifications, there is no specific component listing of the Crescendo hybrid, as you mentioned earlier. You may want to contact them directly, either through the factory or one of their showrooms for answers to those questions. If you do visit one of their showrooms, feel free to share your experience here, would be interesting to hear about that.

This means that there is a layer of latex, either Dunlop or Talalay, probably less than one inch in thickness that has been through a perforation process of having holes punched through the latex, thus making it more “breathable”.

As Dream Time Mattress is factory direct, you can ask them about a latex build, if that’s your preference. I’d prefer not to comment on whether latex is the “better” of the foam materials, as this is more of a “feel” issue, part of your individual "PPP/ Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences. Here are some thoughts Phoenix has regarding Latex Mattress Choices you may find useful, should you want to research that topic further.

Again, if you visit either Dreamstar or Dream Time’s showrooms, please share your research findings with the TMU Forum, would be curious to hear about your experience. BTW, do you have any updates on your research thus far?

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Sensei, thanks for the response and absolutely no need to apologize. Really appreciate your help!

I had a chance to check out the firm Marshall mattresses from the Inspired collection. Unfortunately, my wife and I both felt that they didn’t provide the support that we were hoping for, nor were they all that comfortable. I have to admit, we tried out some of the big name mattresses since they were on the floor, and they felt a lot better.

Next, we went to Soma to try a pocket coil latex hybrid. We also figured it would be a good opportunity to try a pure latex mattress as we had never tried them before. The person who helped us was Josh. The hybrid felt good and offered the responsiveness that I was hoping for. But then Josh guided us through some of the Soma private label latex mattresses (made by Obasan) and it was an eye opening experience. Josh was extremely knowledgeable and explained what to look for in terms of alignment and pressure relief. I was originally set on getting a firm mattress but I learned that, as a side sleeper with broad shoulders, I needed something softer to help with pressure relief. I tried several 9" latex mattresses and found the most suitable one to be 4-firm, 3-medium, and 2-soft (wife: 4-firm, 3-firm, 2-soft). One thing that was absent was the responsiveness of the pocket coil mattresses. When I threw myself into these latex mattresses, it felt like I was hitting the hard bottom. The other “negative” was that all of these mattresses were over my planned budget.

On my way out, I decided to try some of the more expensive latex mattresses. I think there was one that was a Green Sleep with a plush topper. It felt pretty amazing and its responsiveness felt similar to a pocket coil mattress. I briefly asked about it and Josh said that it was a great mattress but for our purposes, he wasn’t so sure it was worth the significant price increase. In hindsight, I should have spent more time with this mattress and asked for more information. I came across some posts on here about how Green Sleep’s expensive dowel foundation can have a significant impact on the way their mattresses feel and I have no idea if they were being used at the shop. The overall experience at Soma was very positive and left me thinking that I should go for a 100% latex mattress which meant that I would need to seriously reconsider my budget.

With the change in focus to latex, the following stop was Dormio. Super friendly and knowledgable service. We were helped by two people, including Kal. We tried several mattresses and the one that stood out was the 11" Wakefield. It was so cloud-like and took all the pressure away from my shoulders. I was really surprised by how much my wife and I liked this mattress considering that we started our search thinking that we needed a firmer mattress. The Wakefield I tried was 6-medium, 3-extra soft, and 2-extra soft (wife: 6-firm, 3-extra soft, 2-extra soft). The alignment wasn’t quite perfect for me on this mattress but Kal was able to help correct this by trying out different pillows. This mattress also wasn’t as responsive as the Green Sleep I liked but to be honest, I’m not sure how much that really matters in the grand scheme of things.

I’m hoping to check out a few factory direct manufacturers and revisit both Soma and Dormio before reaching a final decision.

Hi, I’m glad I found this site but also truthfully overwhelmed. So I have a few questions based on research I have done to date.
First: I’m looking for a Queen bed to replace a 10 year old coil eurotop. Im 61, 5’4" with BMI of 25. I started my search a few months ago and of course went to sleep Country and the Bay. I was checking reviews and happen upon this website. I’ve spent the last few weeks reading lots. I set a budget for about $2000-2500 CAD. I will need a new foundation too.

visited Dormio, Ideal and Springmaid. Tonfurniture is next week but had a good first conversation with Andy. All three visits very informative and sales people extremely patient and helpful.

1. Ideal: All Latex: 12" Dunlop with 6" Firm, 2" soft and 2 " extra soft plus 2 inch wool and organic cotton cover, zippered. 5 zone. $2,800
  2. Ideal: Latex/Polyfoam 14": the difference with above is that the support base is 8" Premium Carpenter polyfoam, 3.2 lbs $2.400
  3. Dormio: There were several options, but landing on the Nottingham with is 12". 3x3" latex interchangeable mix of S,M,F with 2 inch wool/cotton channel cover, zippered. with all discounts $3,700
  4. Springmaid: said they can customize any configuration in mattress. They use Dunlop latex, 3 zone. Polyfoam is 2.2lb, their cover is organic cotten but teh quilting is 1.8lb foam , They proposed 6" polyfoam support core with 2 inch medium and 2 inch soft. I asked to be close to the Ideal mattress approach with 6" polyfoam, 3 inch medium and 2 inch soft. Price quoted was $950 (including delivery). Haven’t tried it out yet, but they are making one for me to try out, no obligation to buy. of the mix poly/latex (11")
    If I want all latex, it’s $1150
  5. Tonfurniture: Natural Escapes $1900 4 inch Talalay Latex, 6" soy polyfoam 1.9lb and 2 inch wool, covered by bamboo, zippered. I haven’t laid on this yet.

so my question is the value/proposition. I seem to have lots of prices here. some quite over and one significantly under my budget. I’m tempted, IF Springmade works out to buy this one and purchase a good 2 inch wool topper. I don’t like the idea of the polyfoam. I saw a wool topper on Amazon for about $400CAD.

Would love any feedback on the quality and if there any weak links in Springmade, should I stick with all Latex for the price quoted instead of the mix. Any other advice helpful.

Thanks to the experts on this forum.

Hi, just correcting something I said about the Springmade mattresses. When I meant by I don’t like the polyfoam,it’s the polyfoam in the quilt. Doing the research I felt that wool layer over the latex is better. I understand that HD polyfoam 2.2 lb is quite acceptable for a support core.

Joe at Springmade thought that all Latex was overkill for me and my size.

Thx