Faulty Mattress after 1 year ?

The problem Id love some guidance on is this : about 1.5 years ago we decided to invest in a mattress from a local store who has their own brand of organic latex mattresses. We have two babies and value sleep and wanted space for when our baby needed to come into bed with us so we got a king. We are average size people (both under 6’ and 130-160 lbs) and felt excited to support a local store and find a product that felt good on our bodies. We both have back issues occasionally and prefer a firmer style with a little cush on top. Couldn’t believe we found everything we needed on a 3 minute drive away from our home. Fast forward a year and a couple months and there is visible bunching on one side. That side (mine) doesn’t support my hips or align my back so I’m constantly uncomfortable. The other side (there’s a higher spot in the middle) also has an impression. We had already rotated the mattress once last year. Anyway after having a surprisingly great customer service experience buying the mattress we’re having the opposite in trying to have someone evaluate and take care of this problem. The owner is not taking any responsibility, despite having a one time comfort exchange policy (albeit for a much briefer time) and saying they want their customer to be 100% satisfied and boasting it was his own brand when we bought it he’s now saying the manufacturer won’t cover it - unless it’s 1.5 inches down from seam to seam and that it’s “normal” for there to be body impressions. He had us send him photos because he charges 75 dollars just to come look at it and from the photos said it wouldn’t be covered because there are stains (there aren’t). Later he said it may need to be restuffed in downtown LA and that it will cost us 400. We’re at a loss, we’re loosing sleep over how rudely it’s being handled and how uncomfortable we are - but we spent such a significant amount and just don’t know what to do! Would love any advice.

Hi Mamaof2,

Sorry to hear about your issues with your new mattress. Do you know if the layers inside the mattress are loose or glued?

Hello Mamaof2,

First, I apologize for our late response, apparently there was a technical issue on the forum and we weren’t receiving email alerts, but we did get an email today after MFC Memory Foam replied to your post.

It would be helpful to know the build of your mattress… how thick is it? Is it solid latex, layered latex, springs with latex, batting (futon) with latex, is it a soft, medium or firm, etc? You mention them having to “restuff” the mattress so just wondering what that means exactly.

If it’s a true “organic” mattress then you have wool as the FR and wool will compress and create very slight impressions where your body is compacting the wool batting, which is more prominently noticeable if quilted to a stretch knit fabric. This is normal and won’t affect the comfort or performance of your mattress. Now if you have a soft latex layer, that will also have a bit more softening with time (which is normal for all mattresses during the break in period), so you may feel the mattress has lost some of it’s initial firmness, but that is to be expected, especially if you chose a softer mattress.

Again, it would be most helpful if you gave more details on the build of your bed. Specifically let us know BOTH the firmness and “support” for the mattress (springs, solid core, layers)… what is the firmness level AND thickness of the comfort layer? Does the mattress have a zipper to change your comfort layer? Lastly what is supporting the mattress (provide foundation specs, and bed frame details, does it have a center support to the floor, how many slats, etc). Once we get more details from you, that will allow all of us on the forum to provide you with better information and hopefully be of better assistance.

-cheryl

I don’t - how would I find out ?

Ours is the one called the “Montecito”
http://www.organicrootsmattress.com/mattresses.php

Hi Mamaof2,

Here are the specs for that mattress:

Montecito - Eurotop
1100 Pocketed Coils, 13 Gauge Wire
Soy Foam Edge Support, Organic Cotton and Wool Blend
2.5 Inches Super Soft Natural Talalay Latex
100% Organic Cotton Fabric

This is a hybrid latex mattress since they use an innerspring as the base support. Based on the photo this is a tight-top and it definitely looks very “plush” and they also call it a “pillow top” model, meaning that billowy plushness is built inside your mattress.

The 13 gauge offers good support in the pocket coil system, so that’s good. However, 2.5" of “Super Soft” talalay (they don’t list the ILD), is pretty soft considering Talalay over Dunlop is already the softer latex of the two. They also don’t say exactly how much wool is used in the top layer, the more wool, the more compression as well as migration, which if that’s the case could be the cause for the “bunching” you describe.

I don’t see a zipper for access to your comfort layer, which is unfortunate because this would allow you to change that super soft talalay to something firmer. With that said, it’s much more difficult to make a soft tight-top mattress firmer, than it is to make a firm tight-top mattress softer, so your options may be limited. Since they design their own mattresses (though it looks like another company makes it for them), I would ask them specifically about the materials they use (Latex ILD and amount of wool used) and if there are any accessories they recommend you could use on top of their bed which would help firm it up for you. Another option would be to find out if you could turn it over and place a medium-firm latex topper above the coils (once you flip it)?

As a side note, we don’t offer talalay in CozyPure because it’s not (and cannot be) organic, so honestly we can’t give 100% “expert” advise on “super soft” talalay since we don’t use it here, but we can state it’s definitely a very soft latex.

Again, your best bet is to work with the store and manufacturer to find out what your best options are so you can sleep better. I’m sure they would want you to be comfortable and happy!

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

-cheryl

Thank you for all of that info Cheryl!

To me it doesn’t feel like the pillow top but is that possible ? When I side sleep my hips are so sunken I can’t get comfortable. This idea of flipping it and adding a layer sounds like a possibility since we can’t spend this kind of money again. It really didn’t feel that cushioned when we orgiannly tried it so I’m surprised at the amount it’s broken down if that’s the case and it’s not actually faulty. I wish the owner would be honest with us about that.

You WOULD think they’d want us to be happy and would want to work with us but they’ve made it pretty clear they’re not interested in helping, it’s been terrible.

Hi Mamaof2,

It’s unfortunate that the retailer that sold you this mattress is not willing to help you.
I think your best option is to flip it over and try it as is. Sleep on it for a few nights and see how it feels. Check to see if the coils are offering your hips proper support. If they are and you find that you feel the coils, I suggest placing a 2" soft HR foam layer over the top (20 or 28 ILD). This inexpensive solution will provide a layer of comfort over the coils, help reduce pressure points, and save you money.

Let me know how this goes,

All the best
Mario

Thank you Mario!

As a consumer and not an industry professional, let me add my two cents. If you are not satisfied, if the seller is not willing to work with you, and if you believe that the mattress has unacceptably degraded, you may want to consider: (1) filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (in the area where the mattress company is located or headquartered); and/or (2) file a complaint in Small Claims Court (in the jurisdication where you live or the point of sale (if the sale was via internet, you would file where you live). It is my understanding that court personnel are extremely helpful about consumer-initiated issues and will provide the assistance you need to file a complaint. Your theories of recovery would likely be based on breach of contract, breach of (express) warranty and/or breach of implied warranty of merchantability. Being that the mattress company is a corporation, unlike you, they will have to retain an attorney to represent them with regard to the Small Claims complaint. Regardless of the outcome, you will have made a point, and the company will have taken a deserved hit to its reputation. I would tend to believe that both for financial, reputation and nuisance reasons, the company will be more receptive to your issues and would be more likely to replace or refund your purchase rather than have to defend a court action. Good luck.

Thank you ! Was considering all of this but instead asked my husband to go into the store one more time and try to talk to the owner in person instead of on the phone or email. He wound up paying the fee to have him come over and he was actually really easy and nice from that point forward. Our mattress has since been replaced by him!

Hi Again Cheryl!

I asked my husband to go into the store one more time and try to talk to the owner in person instead of on the phone or email. He wound up paying the fee to have the owner come over and he was actually really easy and nice from that point forward so it was obviously very apparent when he saw it that it wasn’t eighr. Our mattress has since been replaced by him, with a firm model (the Sedona) and while I enjoy being aligned again - my hips are killing me ! I think a latex topper would be great and I saw a different post that led me to check out yours but I don’t know how it would work to order it without even being able to feel it. I did call and have conversations with two of your employees, who were awesome by the way! But I didn’t want to chance wasting money on shipping just to feel it so I went ahead and bought one from bed bath and beyond knowing I can have it shipped for free and return it if it doesn’t work but I understand that isn’t something every company can offer. As it turns out I’m still feeling some pinching/radiating pain in my hips when I side sleep which is my preference - I’m also nursing much of the night. I got one that is Dunlop like yours, and two inches, but maybe it isn’t comparable ? If that isn’t enough for me do you think the cozy top would do it ? Afraid I’ll feel too sinky and just really ready to have this settled so I can get some restful sleep. It’s such a huge quality of life thing !

Hi Mamaof2,

So happy to hear that the retailer was able to fix/replace the mattress to your liking and the support is better for you now. That should help give you many more years of enjoyment from your new bed!!

With latex being so supportive, it can be fairly common when choosing firmer layers to experience discomfort often created from too much push-back. While the added support is crucial for your back and the longevity of your mattress, too much firmness can make it difficult to sleep comfortably because there may not be enough cushioning for your pressure points, especially for side sleepers or folks with a slight frame/body weight.

You didn’t mention the ILD of the dunlop topper you purchased from Bed Bath Beyond. If the denisty of the topper is not much different from the density of the mattress itself, that may be why you’re not feeling a big difference in comfort. Dunlop latex is definitely one of the firmest components available (even in topper form), which is one reason we cut our 2" sculpted dunlop latex into an “egg crate” with “peaks and valleys”, to provide a bit more “bounce” in the layer versus the firmer density of a solid piece.

To answer your question about our CozyTop, first we do offer free shipping over $150 so you wouldn’t be charged for that, however since we don’t accept returns on used bedding, we encourage our customers to make the proper choices before purchasing, so I’m glad you reached out to us.

I can say that our Cuddle-Top and our CozyTop Latex Toppers are two of our customer favorites, and to my knowledge no one has ever even wanted to return them, in fact, most folks order more for other beds in their house, or for their vacation homes (some even purchase twin sizes to put in the car to take with them when traveling). Both are filled with “free-flowing” latex, not a solid piece, so it literally “cuddles your curves”.

The CozyTop, which you are asking about, is also constructed with two different fabrics on each side, for two different feels. If you don’t want to “feel too sinky”, as your post states, you could use the side with the thicker knit fabric which mimics more of a built-in pillowtop. If for some reason, you felt the knit side was still too soft, you could put the topper UNDER your mattress protector, which would create more of a tight-top resistance on the surface, lessening the softness. Basically you could play around with four different configurations (thin fabric up and under sheets/ thick fabric up and under sheets/ thin fabric up and under protector/ thick fabric up and under protector). Hope that makes sense.

We’ve never had customers say they felt the Cuddletop or CozyTop was “too soft”, since it is made from latex which is very supportive and resilient. We fill it just enough to offer a cuddling pressure relief and surface softness, without making it so deep that you sink in too much.

Please feel free to give us a call if you need additional answers on our products, we’ll be very happy to help as best we can!

Best,
-cheryl

I wrote a long reply to you yesterday but it’s not showing up now - not sure what happened. Interested in discussing your products with you further !