FINALLY Picked A Mattress!!!!! Verlo Mattress in Longmont!

Wanted to start off by saying thanks to Pheonix and everyone for all the help and the knowledge this site provides. I did countless hours of research on this site about retailers, different types of mattresses, warranties, literally enough research to drive you a little crazy;0). I looked into memory foam but decided against that due to the fact that I am a super hot sleeper and could not really get used to the feel of the memory foam beds.

We also looked into the more natural innerspring beds. Something along the lines of coil, latex, wool & cotton mattress. I really liked these beds but most were much to expensive for us. I really liked the “My Green Mattress”. They seem to make a very quality product at a super affordable price. That didn’t work out, so beyond that most of the other choices were too high priced for us.

Then we looked at the BED IN A BOX route. BBM, Leesa, Wink. Tuft & Needle, Nest and the list goes on and on. All of these beds seemed to be good beds for the money and had great return policies. I just couldn’t get over buying a mattress I had not laid on or at least touched. The many online reviews were somewhat helpful, but in the back of my mind I wonder, are they all legit?? I think if you’re willing to take a chance this is your best bang for the buck!!

All of my research finally directed me to the latex route. In Colorado I checked out Foam Source in Boulder. Nice place, nice sales people, prices were competitive, but out of the beds I tried I didn’t really love any of them.
Next we tried Urban Mattress, very nice store, great sales people. They carry Prana which was a nice mattress, but super expensive, seemed like I could get much more mattress for less then the Prana Bed.
Then on too Sleep Nation, Nice Store, “Stereo Typical Sales person”. They had a very nice all latex mattress, a little on the higher end of price, but very nice none the less. I just couldn’t get over the whole “whats it going to take to get you into this mattress today” approach".

Then we stopped into Verlo mattress in Longmont Colorado and met GM Randon Brewster. Suddenly the stars and moon aligned (lol). The showroom in Longmont is very small and a little off the beaten path but attached to the showroom is the factory. When you walk in if you look south you can see directly into the factory through big windows, stacks of Natural Talalay Latex, Stacks of High Density Polyfoam a “Mattress Undergoud” paradise!!!

Randon went above and beyond. We were trying out a “closeout” 10" latex bed. The bed consisted of 3" frim Talalay, 3" Medium Talalay and another 3" Medium Talalay all sealed with a zip organic cotton and wool case/topper. The bed was super comfy, but just wasn’t quite soft enough. We tried all kinds of toppers, 1" and 2" soft talalay, 1" wool/cotton and so on. Randon never ever got frustrated, mind you we made 3 visits before “pulling the trigger”, each time we were there an hour or so.

We finally purchased the 10" mattress with a 1" soft Talalay topper which will be zipped in the cover. We also added a natural wool/cotton waterproof washable mattress topper to protect the mattress. I am 6’2" and a side sleeper and this mattress feels like a dream.

From Verlo, the mattress has a 10 year guarantee. If anything goes wrong in the 10 years they will handle it. They also feature the “Comfort Guarantee” which means you get one free comfort adjustment within the 1st year period. Part of the reason we purchased from Verlo was the quality of materials they use and they are very educated on these materials. They still make double sides mattress or can custom make about anything!

I have been in sales and sales training most of my career. Randon was a 10 out of 10, Made us feel totally at ease with the purchase. If your in Colorado and in the market I would defiantly check them out. I will post a 3 month, 6 month and 12 month update and let everyone know how the latex bed worked out for us. Keep your fingers crossed:0)

Bryce

Hi Bryce720,

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to share your experiences in such great detail … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

OK, so I thought I would give an update on the mattress. I have slept on it since Friday. 1st night was horrible, mattress was just too firm with the extra 1" of soft latex zipped in the mattress cover. I think it was just much latex in a cover, so it couldn’t really expand as we layed down in the mattress. So the next night day I removed the 1" latex and put it ontop of the mattress and then a sheet ontop of that and that is how I have slept on it since. I am liking it, not loving it. When I lay on my back it feels great, but I am primarily a side/ side stomach sleeper with my arm under the pillow. The mattress feels ok for these positions. My legs, my hips/butt and back feel good, but the my shoulder when I wake up is killing me. My shoulder just doesn’t feel like it’s “sinking” in a bit like the rest of my body?? So the back side of my shoulder/lat/tricep will ache for the 1st half of the day. This isn’t going to work. I am not sure what to do next.

So this mattress we bought was a floor model. We thought it was firm 3", med 3", med 3", it is actually 1" of xfirm, 4" of firm and 4" of med, 1" of soft, plus the soft 1" layer we have added. All layers are natural Talalay. Do I need to add more soft?? I am not sure where to go from here?? Thanks

Hi Bryce720,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

I would keep in mind that here will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so. I would generally suggest sleeping on any new mattress for a few weeks at a minimum whenever possible until you are confident any symptoms are the result of the mattress rather than the initial break in and adjustment period before deciding on whether it’s a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and/or deciding to make any changes.

If the mattress is too firm for you then you could either take advantage of their comfort adjustment to make the mattress softer or you could add a thicker/softer topper. Once you have slept on the mattress for a little longer I would start with talking to them about a comfort adjustment.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for all the help/replies Pheonix!! I have slept on the mattress a few more days and I seem to be adjusting too it??? Now for the problem??? Ever since I started sleeping on the mattress, my allergies have gone nuts. I have always suffered from seasonal allergies, so allergies are nothing new. Except since sleeping on the latex, they have been different/worse.

My throat feels tingly and slightly constricted, my tongue feels the same. When I wake up I feel this and my sinuses are super block up, then I clear my throat for the 1st half of the morning!! This literally started the day after I slept on the mattress and has continued?? I have not had allergies to any latex products in the past?? I dont have any “skin” issues, not itching, redness and so on? I have done a ton of research and can’t really find any info and anyone that has had any similar issues??

Ideas??

Hi Bryce720,

While it’s still early in the process … it’s good to hear that the break in and adjustment period seems to be making a difference for you.

[quote]Now for the problem??? Ever since I started sleeping on the mattress, my allergies have gone nuts. I have always suffered from seasonal allergies, so allergies are nothing new. Except since sleeping on the latex, they have been different/worse.

My throat feels tingly and slightly constricted, my tongue feels the same. When I wake up I feel this and my sinuses are super block up, then I clear my throat for the 1st half of the morning!! This literally started the day after I slept on the mattress and has continued?? I have not had allergies to any latex products in the past?? I dont have any “skin” issues, not itching, redness and so on? I have done a ton of research and can’t really find any info and anyone that has had any similar issues??[/quote]

While I’m not a medical professional so I can’t “diagnose” what may be happening … it’s possible that you could have an allergy to latex that is showing up. This could also be connected to handling the topper which could have put some latex dust that may have remained on the topper after cutting it in the ambient air. It would probably be worthwhile to test for a latex allergy to either rule it in or out as a possibility. There is more information about latex allergies in post #2 here and the links that it also includes.

Other than that … the most common allergies are to dust mite particles and other airborne small particles rather than the materials in a mattress (although in theory it’s also possible that you could be sensitive to something in the mattress as well). There is more information about dust mites and allergies and methods that can be used to control dust mite populations or other allergens that are related to mattresses in post #2 here and in post #3 here. There is also more about allergy encasements in post #2 here that may also be helpful.

Once you have ruled out a latex allergy then it may be worthwhile purchasing an allergy encasement to see if it makes a difference.

Phoenix