Firm or medium for lower back pain?

Hello. I’m hoping someone can help me in selecting a mattress. I suffered sciatica, which is pain in the lower back. For years i’ve slept on double beds with a hard firm mattress - thinking that this is best for lower back pain.

Recently I decided to upgrade my mattress and did some research on the internet and learned that medium firm mattresses are better for lower back pain. I know that it takes some time to adjust to a new mattress, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on weather firm mattresses are good for back pain sufferers.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I also suffer from lower back pain i guess its all the years ive spent in construction and the shitty mattresses that my wife has been choosing. However i did get a medium firm mattress not so long ago and my back does feel like it’s getting better. i guess mattresses are all personal preference and you never really know whats best for you until you try them but the medium firm is definitely working for me. Not sure where you are from but i live in Toronto and i bought my mattress from this store called sleep masters canada and actually got a really good deal.

Hi thirtybythirty,

[quote]Hello. I’m hoping someone can help me in selecting a mattress. I suffered sciatica, which is pain in the lower back. For years i’ve slept on a double bed with a hard firm mattress - thinking that this is best for lower back pain.

Recently I decided to upgrade my mattress and did some research on the internet and learned that medium firm mattresses are better for lower back pain. I know that it takes some time to adjust to a new mattress, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on weather firm mattresses are good for back pain sufferers.[/quote]

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

There is no one firmness level that is “best for backs” in general because it would depend on the body type, sleeping style, and individual preferences of the person.

A mattress needs to have deeper layers that are “firm enough” to stop the heavier parts of your body from sinking down too far and make sure you sleep with your spine and joints in good alignment and upper layers that are thick and soft enough to “allow” any pressure points such as the hips and shoulders to sink down far enough to relieve pressure points in all your sleeping positions as well but “firm enough” and “soft enough” can vary widely from person to person.

Unfortunately there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

In very general terms … a mattress that is somewhere in the middle of the firmness range or slightly firmer will tend to fit a larger percentage of the bell curve that would fit the comfort and support needs for more people than other firmness levels but any specific mattress or firmness level may only be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of people, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet. Good spinal alignment is the most important factor that leads to deep and restful sleep and is important for all people whether or not they have back pain but making sure that a mattress is firm enough to prevent the heavier parts of the body from sinking down too far so you can maintain good spinal alignment over the course of the night in all your sleeping positions is especially important for those with back issues because the risks involved and the pain and discomfort that can come from a mattress that is too soft can be higher than for those that are more flexible and don’t have any back issues. I would also keep in mind that a mattress that is too firm (for you) can also lead to poor support and back pain and that the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress will be a “good enough” match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

PS @ alituran: Since you have no prior history on the forum and you have made several posts about the same mattress and the same store … I would also make sure you read the rules of the forum because you also need to disclose whether you have any direct or indirect relationship with either Sleep Masters Canada or with Dreamstar.

PPS: @thirtybythirty: I have removed the advertising link that you added to your post and have also banned your mattress forum user account for spamming along with the other user accounts that you have used to spam the same link.

Hi there,
I have also suffered from back pain a lot past year. I did’nt knew about the mattress that time so i had gone with medication but did not got relief from using the medication also. On searching a lot about the solution for the back pain, through a review I came across the Independent Home, who are walking in bathtub installation and service provider. I contacted them because the walk in bathtub provides the hydro massage feature which helps a person in overcoming the body pain. So rather than going to the therapy center, I chose to install the Walk in tubs Glendale in my bathroom and daily took the hydro massage therapy. It has helped me a lot to overcome from my back pain. If anyone wishes to install the tub can contact the professionals anytime without any hesitation.

There are many mattresses on the web who claim they are the best for reducing back pain. I have spent a good amount of money buying poor mattresses. I think medium firm mattress is best for lower back pain.I have a blog where i have made a list of the best mattress for people with bad back .check the list of the best mattresses here https://mattermattress.com/best-mattress-for-back-pain/