Firmness. Looked and read a lot still can't decide . little help

I am injured need edge Bed Support and a middle of the road firmness. Looked and read a lot still can’t decide . I think we want a hybrid (wife and I) A little help would be great.
Thanks

1. Text

[/right]

Hi Insomnia and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

A mattress is one of the most subjective purchases you will make; as all sleepers are unique, so too will any consumers’ choice in mattresses be, based on you and your wife’s Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Depending on your type of injury, some mattresses may prove more comfortable than others.

A few resources you can review to get started on your search are the Mattress Shopping Tutorial to see how to find a great retailer or manufacturer, and the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelines; this will tell you what specifications you should look for in any hood mattress, and how long various mattress materials will last over time.

Since you don’t have a particular mattress type in mind, if at all possible, you and your wife should set aside some time to try mattresses at a local showroom, just to see how they feel for you both. Latex has a particular feel, and is extremely durable, but some consumers don’t enjoy the feeling…testing out various latex firmnesses, and a latex hybrid (as innersprings also are popular with some, but not all sleepers) An innerspring support can provide the ‘edge support’ you seek - but you should look to find a sleep solution that’s both comfortable as well as supportive enough (especially if you are higher BMIs and/or have health conditions which affect your sleep). By making a ‘short list’ of mattress types you both like, you’ll be better equipped to assess specific mattresses whether online or at local retailers or manufacturers. If you have questions on any specific mattresses and provide your Stats, we may be able to comment on the suitability for you and your wife’s support and comfort needs.

~ Basilio

Thank you for reply. I will list info. you are anyone else may need to advise me on mattress purchase. Side sleepers,
I weight 175 and 6’1, Janet 133lbs and 5’8. We both prefer a mattress that’s on the firm side but when we layed on a few mattresses the few that we like we’re 5 or 6 on firm scale. I think 5 is not firm but not soft. I know I can’t get up if I am on a real soft mattress ( because of my spinal cord injury, weak core) We sleep on a Serta, It is 3 yrs. old and it doesn’t make either of us sleep well and I am very unhappy but I do have pain, sleep problems. I think a hybrid may be my best choice but I can’t decide and right now I am very busy advocating for cancer and spinal cord injured people, I went through stage 4 cancer in 2010 so I help whoever I can. What other Info do I need to list for anyone advising.I am capable of making a decision but need help knowing what is important in a Mattress that could help or hurt my sleep. It’s very important this time that We get a mattress we can get some sleep, I feel like I have been awake for years. Thanks Insomnia

Hi Insomnia,

We both prefer a mattress that’s on the firm side but when we layed on a few mattresses the few that we like we’re 5 or 6 on firm scale. I think 5 is not firm but not soft. I know I can’t get up if I am on a real soft mattress ( because of my spinal cord injury, weak core)

Thanks for providing you & your wifes’ Stats;
you are both lower BMI , so you have a lot of options that larger sleepers might not find comfortable. Sorry to hear about the injury to your spinal cord, that must be very uncomfortable, and as I mentioned in my original reply, a too soft mattress causes you to sink in too far and is obviously not an option. Keep in mind ‘5 or 6 on firmness scale’ is only an indication of firmness within that companies internal ‘firmness range’ and so is not a concrete measure, rather it gives a general idea of firmness within that manufacturers offerings. Remover, in the subjective world of mattresses, what one person finds uncomfortably firm, another may find to be too soft. You are the best judge of what firmness works for your personal Stats and PPP.

We sleep on a Serta, It is 3 yrs. old and it doesn’t make either of us sleep well and I am very unhappy but I do have pain, sleep problems

Unfortunately Serta, like many of the ‘big brands’ offer beds with inexpensive foam of insufficient density to provide adequate support…these can wear out quickly and it’s not surprising it’s not working for you any longer after 3 years.

I think a hybrid may be my best choice but I can’t decide and right now I am very busy advocating for cancer and spinal cord injured people

Yes, a hybrid may be a good sleep solution for you both, but there is no way for anyone to tell
you if it will be comfortable. I understand you are busy - and a very admirable use of your time, doing cancer and spinal injury patient advocacy! - and understandable why good quality sleep is essential for you. If it’s possible, setting some time aside to try a few different mattress options, like hybrids, all latex, etc., are really the only way to decide what type you prefer. Once you know this, you will be in a better position to look at the options you have for that type of mattress, either online or in a brick and mortar type showroom.

I am capable of making a decision but need help knowing what is important in a Mattress that could help or hurt my sleep. It’s very important this time that We get a mattress we can get some sleep, I feel like I have been awake for years

As I said in my prior post, it’s always bedt to keep the Mattress Durability Guidelines and Mattress Specifications You Need To Know in mind so you are better able to determine what to look for in choosing a new mattress. You can also read @Phoenix on the functions of a mattress here and an explanation of mattress support and comfort layers here.

I believe you are further along the road to finding a suitable new mattress than you think;
you have seen the downsides of going with the big brands; you have seen how memory foam in such a mattress can have very limited durability; you know you want a firm mattress for both your comfort and support as well as your injury; and you are considering latex, as well as hybrid mattresses (your ‘short list’, in other words). Once you can assess how a latex or latex hybrid feel for you and Janet, you can concentrate on finding the best option based on your needs and budget.

~ Basilio

I live right outside of Columbia, SC, theirs a company that builds mattresses for individuals. Called Best Mattress co. have you heard of it, if so how do you rate it. The company has been building mattresses since 1994. Wanted to ask because I may contact them. I read the articles here you had highlighted in email, very interesting and knowledgeable. Thank for your guidance, I really appreciate your time
Thank you Dean