First time buyer needs expert advice

Hello all! New to the forum as well as purchasing a mattress. I jjust bought my first home and have been sleeping on an old crappy queen spring mattress thats probably 20+ years old. I added a 3" memory foam topper which helped I guess. Anyways, I have been all over the internets looking at mattresses/box spring reviews and my head is spinning.

About me: I’m 32 yrs old, no chronic pain or anyting. I typically sleep on my side and sometimes half-side/half-stomach. Like i’ll lay on my arm and kick my right or left leg out for support while I lay on my stomach. (sorry if this just confused you :smiley:
I am 5’8, 140 lbs.

I think I prefer a softer feel over something super firm. I’m not sure if I trust amazon reviews. So here I am. I need expert advice. I just bought this bed frame: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AUAQ5V8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I couldn’t pass it up for the price since I’ve seen this bed in a different brand name for $500-600

I need some good mattress choices for my sleep style as well a box spring to go with it. I think my bed requires one.

Also, I got some info/recommendations from old bed guy but he seems like a cranky a-hole to be quite honest. No matter what questions I asked him, he always seemed to insult me and well F that. Even his blog tells everyone not to trust this site as well as countless others, so who do I believe? Anyway, he recommended beds from charles p rogers. I’ve never heard of them but Im wondering if I could get something just as good from amazon or anywhere else way cheaper?

Look forward to all of your responses!

Hi radiantchild,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us.

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I would also be very cautious about using mattress reviews (good or bad) as a reliable source of mattress research or information and in many cases they can be much more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

Post #13 here and the posts it links to has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make much more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Unfortunately you are the only one who can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict which mattress will be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that … post #2 here has more about the different ways to choose a mattress (locally or online) that can help you reduce the risks involved with of each of them and help you make the most suitable choices.

I can’t see the specifics of the construction for this bedframe in the description but if it has at least 5 cross slats and a center beam with good support to the floor (at least one leg in queen and two in king) then it should be fine as long as you add a foundation that is suitable for the mattress you end up choosing. There is more about the types of support systems that are generally the most suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here.

You can see my comments about the Old Bed Guy in this topic. You can also see some comments from one of the members here. I would believe what the evidence tells you :slight_smile:

You can see some comments and information about them in post #34 here (and the rest of the topic) and in this topic and a forum search on Charles P Rogers (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

Outside of making sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it (regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label) and if any of the Charles P Rogers are a good match for you in terms of PPP and you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress you are considering (see this article and the quality guidelines it links to) and it compares well to any other mattress you are considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering. The same comments would apply to any other mattress you are considering as well.

Outside of the better online options that are linked in the tutorial post (in the optional online step) … if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response. I am in a bit of hurry to find something since I’m sleeping in my guest room now on a crappy 15+ yr old mattress. my zip is 47129. I am close to Louisville kentucky if this helps. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard a lot of great thing about Brooklyn Bedding. I see they sell their products on amazon and seem to get rave reviews.
My dad friend that owns a furniture store is trying to sell me a restonic royal night plush. He claims they are made in new albany Indiana which is near where I live. Not sure how true it is and I don’t know anything about this brand. BB seems like a likely choice. Thoughts?

Hi radiantchild,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Louisville, KY area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #3 here.

Dreamfoam Bedding and Brooklyn Bedding are sister companies (see posts #4 here and post #3 here but Dreamfoam is the one that sells on Amazon. Both of them are invited members of this site which means that I think highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. They make a range of mattresses including latex, memory foam, and polyfoam so regardless of which type of materials you tend to prefer they will will likely have an option that includes it.

Restonic is a larger licensee manufacturer that is one of the top 15 largest manufacturers in the country (see this article). They have a number of factories that make a wide range of mattresses for different areas of the country and some use higher quality materials and some use lower quality materials. Like any mattress purchase … outside of the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it (regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label) and as you can see in the previous link about the “value” of a mattress purchase I would always make sure you know the type and quality of all the materials and components in any mattress you are considering so you can make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress and you can make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

If you can find out and list the layers of the Restonic Royal Night Plush on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials inside it. Without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about any mattress.

Phoenix

After speaking with both Chuck and Mario, I decided to go with the 13" gel memory foam. I didn’t get to lay on a latex but from what they told me, latex is a little more springy. Being that I’m a pretty light weight dude, I like a really soft sinking/contouring feeling and the gel foam seemed to fit the bill. I will keep you posted after it arrives. :slight_smile: I hope I made the right choice! Fingers crossed. Thanks!

Hi radiantchild,

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix