Five steps to your perfect mattress - overview

Hi Phoenix,

Do you think a firm mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress would be of significantly better quality than a firm mattress from Denver Mattress? I have a Denver Mattress Showroom in my town (Albuquerque). I’d have to buy from Arizona just based on components and advice from the owner. What I really want is a king version of my 10-year old Sherwood Lumina Firm which is still so comfortable, but Sherwood is on indefinite backorder here in NM, and I fear they will not be making mattresses of the same quality now that they’ve been purchased by Sealy.

The reason I’m looking at Arizona is that my only past experience with Denver Mattress wasn’t great. I got a Doctor’s Choice in 2004 that was way too soft and really hurt my back. But that could have been my mistake. The DM salesperson insisted that research showed that a firm mattress was bad for people with back problems and foisted a medium-firmness Doctor’s Choice on me.

Any advice would be most appreciated. And if you know any mattress seller that still has the old versions of Sherwood mattresses in stock and could ship to New Mexico, I’d be over the moon.

Thank you :pray:t4:!!

Hi Nii.

Do you think a firm mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress would be of significantly better quality than a firm mattress from Denver Mattress? I have a Denver Mattress Showroom in my town (Albuquerque). I’d have to buy from Arizona just based on components and advice from the owner. What I really want is a king version of my 10-year old Sherwood Lumina Firm which is still so comfortable, but Sherwood is on indefinite backorder here in NM, and I fear they will not be making mattresses of the same quality now that they’ve been purchased by Sealy

Denver Mattress is a regional factory direct manufacturer which makes a range of mattresses including all foam, innerspring, and hybrids for many budget ranges. Denver is providing most of the mattress specs in Denver Mattress lineups which helps consumers to make meaningful comparisons and run those specs by Mattress Durability Guidelines. Their showrooms has several big-name brands so without knowing the materials and components (layer material, thickness, density, ILD/IFD) of the bed you are considering there is really no way to trust the quality you’d get and know how long you are likely to sleep well before the foams start breaking down. Although I do not put much stock on BBB reviews, you may want to consider these customer complaints.

The DM salesperson insisted that research showed that a firm mattress was bad for people with back problems and foisted a medium-firmness Doctor’s Choice on me.

In most cases quite the opposite is true. I wouldn’t trust a blanket judgment that is that it’s based on “research shows …” without substantiating these claims. Depending on the person’s stats, too soft and too thick comfort layers will often result in spinal misalignment. A firmer support layer underneath is important to stop any further sinking down of the heavier parts of your body and keep the spine in neutral alignment in all your sleeping positions.

It helps to think of a mattress as a firmer support layer (or layers) that keeps you in alignment and a comfort layer (or layers) which help to cushion you from the firm support layer, spread your body weight over a larger surface area to relieve the pressure points that the support layer alone would cause, and fill in the gaps in your sleeping profile (like the small of your back or your waist). There are many different ways to accomplish this and the different materials that are used to give you pressure relief and support will play a big role in accommodating your preferences (such as sleeping hot, sleeping "in or “on” your mattress, and how “springy” or responsive you want your mattress to be). The different materials and the quality of the materials you use will also play a bit part in the cost and durability of your mattress. Low-quality materials can make a pressure-relieving and supportive mattress but it won’t last as long.

Do you think a firm mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress would be of significantly better quality than a firm mattress from Denver Mattress? …//…
The reason I’m looking at Arizona is that my only past experience with Denver Mattress wasn’t great

Arizona Premium Mattress is a veteran Trusted Member of the site, They are transparent about everything connected with their products, have good quality/value, and have an excellent track record of satisfied customers and customer service. With almost 50 years in the mattress industry Ken, the owner, is most adept at matching consumers with mattresses to fit their unique needs and preferences. I’d make sure to call or reach Ken on Arizona Premium dedicated forum and provide him with your stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions). I’d also mention that you are trying to match the Sherwood Lumina Firm so that he can better approximate a similar build. Be sure to ask about the comfort exchange policies in case you need to ‘tweak’ the feel. Per your prior post – as you are looking at latex hybrid you may want to consider the King Ultimate Hybrid Pocket coil. This also would meet your criteria of avoiding ‘cooling gels and chemicals.’

You are correct that Sherwood is now owned by Tempur Sealy Company Their tight-top Lumina Luxury firm mattress is a hybrid gel (that word again :face_with_raised_eyebrow:) memory foam mattress and it’s available at a number of online retailers…however, they don’t provide the mattress specifications you need to know to make an informed mattress purchase. It’s hard to tell what changes may have occurred over the last 10 years, let alone since the Sealy acquisition in 2020 - and the many supply chain disruptions that have transpired since then but you can see some of Sherwood product lines here

All in all, playing it safe seems like the best approach. Let us know what your journey brings.

Phoenix

1 Like

Thank you so much !!!