Flobed student mattress

Today I opened our flobed student dorm matress. The dorm mattress is composed of a firm and a medium density layer zipped into a cover. The cover is beautifully made. Thick, high quality, and no odor or off gassing of the cover or layers. It looks luxurious and feels quite comfortable.

Background: We needed an extra “sleeping pallet” suitable for our grandchildren. This item was ordered to compliment another custom made Twin XL sleeping pallet. (See Post) I thought a comparison review of the two items might prove helpful to others.

Experience: I ordered the student dorm in an XL size. It was shipped in two boxes arriving the same day within a week of my order. I assembled it entirely on my own in under 10 minutes. It’s perfect for children or medium size adults. The dorm mattress consists of one 3" medium talalay layer and one 3" firm talalay layer. They both are placed inside the cover which zips around then. The result is a 6" deep mattress. The mattress is about 30 lbs and I found it easy to move around the room.

Comparison with my other “pallet matress”. I had previously ordered a 3" XFirm Twin XL single “replacement” layer. Then I ordered a 3" Talalay Topper Twin XL with cover. I requested that instead of the 3" cover that comes with the topper that I would like the 6" cover. I put both layers inside the cover.

We have visiting siblings (elderly), grandkids and adult children. Some are over 6’ tall and others over 250 lbs. They have different sleeping needs. Being able to zip and recombine the x-frim, firm, med and soft topper into either cover and flip them for more or less support is pretty nifty.

The x firm and medium layers when zipped into one cover offers great back support. The x-firm and topper zipped into one cover offers a soft layer over nice back support, making it comfortable for side sleepers. The medium layer over a firm or x-firm layer is a wonderful all around adult mattress offering good support. The topper over any level of firmness works welk for kids or for elderly adults.

Prior to this we had been using queen futons on the floor which we had brought back from our stay in Japan. The queen sizes took up too much room and over the years lost their support. We now have one twin XL bed in one of our guest rooms. Having this assortment of mattress layers allows us to stack two 6" mattress to meet the needs of one person. Should we have two grandkids or one grandkid with one parent, we can pull one of the matresses to the floor for an extra pallet bed.

I am most grateful to the staff at flobeds who answered all my many questions and worked with me to get suitable twin guest beds for visiting family. On order still is our queen guest bed. I will post a review on that after delivery and set up.

Sandi