Good Innnerspring Mattress with Minimal Foam

Hi motuman,

[quote]I am basically looking for the same thing…a good Innnerspring Mattress with minimal and/or high quality foam.
(with the added parameters - firm to ultra firm, good (metal) edge support, prefer 2 sided, above average durability, and a $2K target budget.)[/quote]

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice based on any criteria that are important to you.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

Thanks for the welcome, and I’d like to extend a “well done” on running such a comprehensive and informative site.

FYI - I have spend many, many long hours reading and searching your site, and while it hasn’t lead me to any conclusions yet, it has certainly given me a lot of data to process.

I am the Santa Barbara, CA and was surprised to see your fine thread on our little town -https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/what-is-the-nearest-latex-mattress-showroom-to-santa-barbara

and the list of manufactures in the LA area.

Since I am not interested in 100% latex however, it appears I will likely still have to drive to LA to look at the small locally manufactures of innerspring mattresses. (with the possible local exception or Ortho, which seems dicey at best)

Thanks again…looking forward to any additional suggestions you can make.

Hi motuman,

It’s great to see you found the local lists that are closest to you :slight_smile:

Many of the options in the Santa Barbara list also sell innerspring mattresses and other types of mattresses that would also be well worth including in your research.

Phoenix

Hi,
I’ve been a bit occupied for the last couple months, but I’m back into the mattress hunt and ready to just get something. I was going to try to decide between one of the options I found (see above), but just tonight I found something new at Mattresses.net that sounds VERY intriguing.

Has anyone heard of, or tried, their new ‘Ultimate Hybrid’ mattress (see product info here). This looks absolutely ideal IF the components are good.

I’ll see if I can find more specifics about the coils and/or foam used, but it really looks like the perfect setup for what I was looking for if good/supportive enough. There would be no top layer foam to worry about, and no need for a separate topper. And the price is great, but almost ‘too-good-to-be-true’. So that’s why I’m hoping for some insight or experience here.

Thanks!

Hi jethrodesign,

This is one of Arizona Premium’s newest mattresses that they just introduced very recently. You can read more information about Quantum Edge pocket coils here. Both the pocket coil and the latex comfort layers are high quality components and there are no weak links in the mattress … and like all of the Arizona Premium mattresses it’s great value as well.

When you can’t test a mattress in person though then I would always make sure you have a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer so they can help “talk you through” the options they have available (there are 4 latex comfort layer options available) to help you decide which one you would prefer or would be the best match for you.

Phoenix

Hello jethrodesign,

Just a quick FYI.

If you prefer a two sided mattress with latex over innerspring (like you saw at Arizona Premium) you might also consider the Flexus “Body print”.

I have started a dialogue with Henry at Flexus and they appear to be quite flexible in the configuration they will build for you.
I’m looking into upgrading the Flexus Body Print inner spring to a Quantum or Quantum Edge, and upping their polyfoam layer from 1.5 lb to 1.8 lb or 2.0 lb. I’m just beginning the process, and Henry appears to be really busy this week with his black friday special, so I don’t have any pricing info to share.

If you are looking for one sided (which will save some $$ on latex), I’m not sure if Arizone or Flexus will be less, but Flexus does appear to offer free shipping on the Body Print mattress.

Maybe Phoenix can comment on the quality of the latex layer that Flexus vs Arizona use, since he is familiar with both companies?

Thanks for the quick replies. I’m guessing that I should be able to get a decent Latex comfort layer with the choices they offer, and I believe they have a one-time exchange I could do on the latex if it wasn’t right after testing for a few weeks. This is real important. The zip-off cover is nice for this too.

And MotuMan, let me know what you find out from Flexus. I think I saw that mattress as well, and they are more local to me. But wasn’t sure about having the poly foam + latex. Seemed like it would make the topper situation a bit more complex, unless they can do away with the poly.

But I think I’m really interested to know more about the innerspring setup. It looks like the Flexus ‘may’ offer the same innerspring setup (if they’re using Leggett & Platt ‘Comfort Core’). They state 3 different firmness ‘zones’, which is what the Arizona Mattress uses with the L&P ‘Combi-Zone’ option. In theory, this sounds ideal I think, right?!?. And from what I read in their specs, it sounds like the coils may be designed to work in one direction - getting firmer as they compress. So not sure if that plays into using in a ‘flippable’ mattress. I don’t think the foam should wear out too soon if good, so not so concerned about 2-sided.

But I think I was concerned when reading more about the ‘Comfort Core’ series of springs as they state they’re ‘comfortable enough’ to sleep on directly with no foam. This has me wondering if they offer enough support if using a 3" comfort layer.

• Does anyone know if these coils are being used in a lot of recent mattresses, even firm ones? I know Leggett & Platt is one of the largest suppliers of spring systems.

• Should I be concerned with these coils not being supportive enough? They’re 8 inches tall, so just seems like they may have a lot of ‘give’, but don’t know enough to be sure.

Thanks!

Kenny

I’ll let Phoenix handle the heavy lifting :slight_smile: but I do have a few comments.

I jumped into this thread because we appear to be looking for a mattress with a similar construction style.

If you haven’t already done so, you should check out L&P’s homepage for inner-springs:

On one hand this is “marketing material”, but on the other hand it’s a good way to familiarize your self with the physical difference between L&P’s “comfort core products”, which are individual pocket springs, and their “innerspring products”, which are Bonnell style springs. (links for all models are on right side of page)

I don’t want to speak too much for Flexus because I’m early in the process, but I can tell you what I learned so far.

• Flexus uses the L & P “Body Print” innerspirng in their “Body Print” and “Posture Sense” models.

however

• Flexus seems pretty willing to work with you on the type of innerspring you want. I asked if they could built one of their mattresses over a Bonnell style spring instead of the Body Print (pocketed coil) and they said yes. Since I am looking for an unusually firm and durable mattress, I am still considering that option.

• As we have learned on this forum however, it’s usually the top layers that give out before the innerspring…but if you are talking just about innersprings, it seems one of the Bonnell Styles (such as L&P Verticoil or Hinge Flex , etc) is going to be more durable than most individual pocketed inner`springs…and possibly firmer depending on the models you compare.

• As an FYI, when I was sampling expensive firm to ultra firm “S” brand and Airloom mattresses in big showrooms, it was hard to feel much difference between individual pocketed coils and a Bonnell type innerspring. Once you put 5" to 6" of firm to very firm layers of material over the springs, it tended to even out any “body conturing” effect of the individual coils. As the comfort and support layers become thinner and/or softer however, I could start to notice the difference between innerspring styles.

• As far as polyfoam, it’s pretty clear from all the postings here, and my personal experience, there is a big difference between foams. If you are looking at a thin layer of high quality, high density (1.8 or 2.0 lb) poly foam, I doesn’t appear that you have to worry to much about it being a weak link in the mattress…but you can always ask Flexus about leaving it out too.

• As an engineer I tend to dig deep into the specs, but it 's important not to forget Phoenix’s PPP. It it’s not comfortable for us, it doesn’t matter what it’s made of. B)

Hi motuman and jethrodesign,

You can see my comments about this in post #2 here.

This depends on the type of support you are talking about. There is more about primary and secondary support and their relationship to pressure relief and firmness in post #4 here and in post #2 here. The only way to know for certain whether any mattress will keep you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress and how to minimize the uncertainty and risks involved with each of them in post #2 here.

There is more about the different types of innersprings and how they compare with each other in this article and in post #10 here but as you mentioned … in “real life” terms the upper layers of a mattress would be the weakest link of a mattress regardless of the type of innerspring that is used underneath them.

I would agree with your comments here. Depending on the weight and sleeping position of the person … the upper 3" to 6" of a mattress will have the biggest effect on how it feels when you lie on a mattress so if there are thicker layers of foam or other padding materials above an innerspring then the differences between them would become much less noticeable than they would be with thinner layers.

You can see the foam quality/density guidelines I would generally suggest in post #4 here. Outside of the density of a polyfoam layer the durability will be affected by other variables as well including what is above and below it, the firmness of the layer, and the thickness of the layer. Layers that are deeper in a mattress will be more durable than the same layers that are closer to the top of a mattress where they will be subject to more of the compression forces. A two sided mattress will also significantly affect the durability of the materials in the mattress so a foam density that is suitable for a two sided mattress may not be as suitable or as durable in a one sided mattress. There is more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Have you heard of a company in Hartford CT CALLED GOLD BOND MATTRESS COMPANY. ?
Recently my hubby and I slept in a holiday inn and it was the first time in 2 years that we didn’t have horrible side pain, leg pain, numbness in arms and shoulders . I looked up on the Internet an it said Serta hotel line is used there. When I called the hotel itself they
Said that they buy them from a commercial place and had no info for me. All I know is it was a 2 sided mattress.
I called CT MATTRESS the former owner of Better Bedding in CT. Tom WHOLLEY. He has his own mattress company where they sell several of the popular brands and this Gold Bond company since 1938 in Ct. I live in Ct. I called an I can meet with owner and make an appointment to see mattress’. He said he had a few gold bond 2 sided on the floor to try. Plush and firm (royal ??)
I spend $1000 I’m a nonreturnable 5lb memory foam mattress and it’s so hard it was horrible.so I got a 3" talaly latex topper ($300) and it’s softer but pain and numbness in arms andin back that’s excruciating. I feel like a cripple in morning.
So this holidY inn mattress at first felt firm but I think it is what we need, what about gold bond or another 2 sided mattress … Help I weigh 185 and hubby weighs 325lbs.
Please help…

Hi karenm5010,

You can see my thoughts about Gold Bond in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

You can see my thoughts about hotel mattresses in post #3 here. If you can’t find out the type and quality of the material inside them (which is normally the case with hotel mattresses) then I would avoid them completely.

I would keep in mind that the name of the manufacturer on the label or the brand name of a mattress is mostly meaningless because outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it … regardless of the name of the manufacturer of the mattress on the label (see post #5 here and post #12 here). There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

As you can see in the guidelines here … I would make sure that you have all the information you need about any mattress you are considering so you can make informed choices and identify any possible weak links in a mattress … regardless of the brand name on the label (see this article). There is also more about the pros and cons of a two sided mattress in post #3 here.

Just in case you haven’t already … I would also read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the larger Connecticut area (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked earlier) are listed in post #2 here which also includes links to a list for the Springfield, MA area and one for the Coventry/Hartford, CT area as well.

Phoenix

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the ‘Ultimate Hybrid’ mattress from Arizona Mattresses. After about a month wait, it finally arrived this week.

Setup went pretty smooth and all components did appear to be very good quality. I got the 3" 19 ILD All Natural Talalay top foam, and with the Bamboo/Wool zip-up cover. I was actually concerned it might be too soft, but was told this is what I should try (though the salesman was not very familiar with the product). They have a one-time exchange, so I figured I could always swap for the medium foam top.

But my initial feeling, and it’s confirmed after sleeping on it a couple nights, is that it’s definitely not as soft as I had expected. To me, it actually feels like a more medium/medium-firm mattress. And I have a bit of pressure point soreness on my hips & shoulder through the night. Definitely not what I had hoped for after all this time & research : (

NOTES & QUESTIONS:

• I believe the cover is ‘muting’ some of the softness of the latex. When I examine it from the inside, there is no give at all with it - very solid/stiff. I’m not sure what the backing material is or how much wool is in it (maybe 1/2"?!?). When I tried without the cover zipped on, it felt a bit closer to what I was expecting (softer and more ‘bouncy’).

• I don’t think I can get any softer or thicker for the foam topper portion, can I?!?

• They sell an ‘organic cotton’ cover as well. Any insight whether this might have more ‘give’ and mold to the foam better?

• Am I most likely going to need to get another soft latex topper to go on top of this to get the more luxurious soft feel I want? If so, should I look for a 2" topper since I already have 3" of soft latex in the mattress?

• What would be some places that sell a good quality, soft, 2" topper with a very ‘elastic’ cover? Most of the typical places I’ve searched only sell 3" toppers. I did see ‘The Foam Factory’, who actually have a 30-day return policy (only one I could find for toppers). Reputable??

Thanks for any specific insight here. I really want to get this wrapped up and be happy with my bed. I feel like what I have now is at least a very good foundation, which should last a long time. But just want to get it a bit softer…

• Kenny

Hi jethrodesign,

Thanks for your comments and initial feedback and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know softness and firmness is subjective and relative to the perceptions of different people (a mattress that feels medium firm for one person may feel soft to someone else or firm for someone else) but the “best” suggestion with any new mattress is normally to wait until you have slept on it for about a month or so (or a few weeks at a minimum) before making any changes to the mattress so the mattress has a chance to break in and you have a chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface that you aren’t used to. There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

They would be able to tell you for certain but as far as I know 3" of 19 ILD is their softest option.

There are some comments about some of the differences between knit covers that are more stretchy and wool quilted covers in post #6 here. I’m not sure if there is an option for a different cover with this mattress but you would need to ask them to find out for certain.

[quote]- Am I most likely going to need to get another soft latex topper to go on top of this to get the more luxurious soft feel I want? If so, should I look for a 2" topper since I already have 3" of soft latex in the mattress?

• What would be some places that sell a good quality, soft, 2" topper with a very ‘elastic’ cover? Most of the typical places I’ve searched only sell 3" toppers. I did see ‘The Foam Factory’, who actually have a 30-day return policy (only one I could find for toppers). Reputable??[/quote]

It’s much to early to decide this but if you do decide to add a topper then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience after a few weeks as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that would have the best chance of being a good match for you in terms of PPP on top of your mattress. It also includes a link to the better online topper and cover sources I’m aware of.

I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything from Foam by Mail (AKA FBM and Foam Factory) or considering them as a reliable supplier. They don’t sell Talalay latex … they only say they do.

Phoenix

Well, I’ve given it a few weeks now. What I ended up doing after the first week or two, though, was speaking with Arizona Mattresses about it feeling too firm. They suggested I try a soft topper, which would have the added advantage of not being under the fairly stiff top layer of the mattress cover.

So I ended up ordering a 2" Talalay ‘blended’ latex topper (22ILD?!?) with a nice Bamboo cover. He said that was the softest 2" foam he had, though I was a bit concerned about the difference between natural and blended.

Upon receiving and trying the topper on my mattress, it definitely had a firm feel. I was still getting hip pain when sleeping. I even let a friend try it on their too firm bed first, and both he and his wife’s first impression was that it felt pretty firm.

So as a very hopeful experiment, I put the 2" blended latex inside the mattress on the springs, and squeezed the 3" 19ILD natural latex that was in the mattress into the topper. I thought that this HAD to be the soft, pressure relieving solution I’ve been searching so long for.

But it’s just still not there :frowning: It’s softer than it was, but I still get some hip pain which causes me to toss & turn, and my back issues possibly feel a bit worse, not better. Pretty bummed after all the time & money spent so far.

Now wondering about trying memory foam topper instead?!? I’ve slept on one when I go home for vacation, and while not perfect, I do sleep pretty soundly and don’t get as much pressure point pain. I’m not sure the specs on it, but think it’s 3". Probably not top-of-the-line. It feels relatively firm at first, but then I sink in. Once settled, it’s comfortable and I sleep pretty sound. But when having to roll over in night, I HATE how difficult it is.

• So have been wondering about trying the Aerus memory foam topper. Is anyone familiar with this or can offer feedback?

• I’m looking at this as it’s supposed to be a bit cooler (I’m in SoCal), and hoping it might be a bit softer too. Would prefer a soft memory foam if possible. If I prefer soft & less of a slow response, should I look at the 3lb instead of 4lb??

• Is the Aerus a specific branded foam that I would be safe purchasing from most reputable retailers?? Reason asking, is that I do see something called Aerus with similar specs selling at places like Wallmart or Amazon online, and pretty affordable. Wondering if they might even be easier to return with then most foam factories? Opinions???

• Thinking about trying a 2" Aerus topper that I could layer with a 1" very soft latex on top, to take a bit of the ‘edge’ off of the memory foam. I do this with my pillow and really like it, though don’t know the makeup of the memory foam in it. Thoughts??

Thanks for any insight! I’ve been waiting so long to get a bed, and have now invested a fair amount into it. Just wishing I was really happy with it.

Hello jethrodesign,

I bough the same Ultimate Hybrid mattress in Cal King at the beginning of January, and I am going through some adjustment as well. As a bit of background my wife and I have always preferred an ultra firm mattress, and we wanted to experiment with something slightly softer to help relieve pressure points.

Everyone’s idea of firm and soft and comfort is very different, of course, but maybe my observations can help you along the way.

• Any discussion of this of the mattress has to begin with the coil spring used. I’m told it is the Combi-Zone, Quantum Edge by L & P.
From L & P’s site - "The center third of Combi-Zone features firmer coils, providing extra support to the back to aid spinal alignment"

• By most standards, the center third of the mattress (with the small diameter coils) is quite firm. IMHO, you will never get a super soft plush feeling mattress, with only 3" of latex over this coil spring. (On the other hand, it offers excellent support, for those who need it)
i.e. if you use a very soft foam latex pad for the top layer, it will not be enough to isolate you from this stiff innerspring. If you use an ultra firm latex pad on top, it might isolate you from the inner spring, but then you have an ultra firm top layer.

• We initially ordered the 3" top layer in 28 ILD latex. As soon as we took it out of the box, we knew it was going to be too soft for us.
We set the 28 ILD on the floor and lay down. The 28 ILD did not isolate us from the floor; i.e we could easily feel pressure points from the floor. When we put the bed together it was much the same experience, the 3" ILD did not insulate me from the stiff center rows of coils in the innerspring. (When back sleeping, I had pressure point issues on my tailbone from too much contact with the stiff center coils, however my shoulders felt good when side sleeping…due to softer rows of coils at top and bottom of innerspring)

• The 3" 28 ILD top layer was a lose-lose for us…it was not thick enough or firm enough to isolate me from the stiff center coils, and it was too soft for my wife, who had poster-alignment problems, resulting in new back pain. (She never had back pain on our old ultra firm mattress) Just goes to show how individual needs and preferences will vary.

• The next step was to exchange the #28 ILD top layer for a #36 ILD top layer. This improved my pressure point problem by +/-80%, and fixed my wife posture-alignment problem. I still have a slight pressure point problem only tailbone (I can’t make it through the entire night on my back, and my wife and I don’t have quite enough deflection (or compliance) for our shoulders when side sleeping). So I need still need a little more in insulation from the innersprings for my lower back, and we both need a little more padding (or deflection) under the shoulders. We are looking at adding a 1" or 2" firm topper next.

Although it is counter intuitive, I had to go to a firmer top layer to reduce pressure point pain in my lower back

So I think the key to optimizing this mattress is figuring out whether your discomfort is

a) “pressure point related” i.e. feeling the very firm center coils though the foam layer
or
b) “posture-alignment” related, i.e the foam are not keeping your back sufficiently supported and aligned.

As different as everyone is, I can tell you two things about the combinations you have tried.

1. Placing just a 3" 19 ILD top layer over this Combi-Zone innerspring, would not provide enough isolation from the firm center row, for anyone looking for a super soft-plush feel. People of average and above body weights are just going to “blow through” the super soft 19 top layer and feel the very firm center rows of inner springs below. I know this combo would cause pressure point problems for my wife and I, and perhaps many people with back problems.

2. If we put a 2" #22 ILD topper over a 3" #19 ILD top layer we would experience way too much deflection, and both my wife and I would have alignment-posture problems, resulting in lower back pain.

Do you know if your discomfort stems from “pressure points” or from posture-alignment issues?

----> One test would be to lay sideways at very top or bottom of the bed. (avoiding the firm middle rows of coils) If this feels better, then you might need more isolation from the firm center portion of the innerspring. This means adding firmness or thickness to the foam layers between you and the innerspring If this feel s worse then your discomfort may be posture-alignment related (from too much deflection) and you need less or firmer foam between you and the innerspring. But in either case I can see how the super soft #19 ILD top layer could be causing problems in this set-up.

So if you are experiencing discomfort with this bed, the key is finding a foam combination that is thick and firm enough to isolate you from the innerspring, but not so thick and soft that it causes posture-alignment problems (from too much deflection.)

Everyone is so very different, but I think a 2" #22 ILD topper over a 3" #19 ILD will give you a lot of deflection, and in my unique case, might still not isolate me from the firm center section of the innerspring, since 19 and 22 are so soft.

Bottom line is if you can’t get satisfaction from any combination of toppers, you might have to go firmer than the 3" #19 ILD. for example a #22 topper over a #28 or #32 3" top layer will provide more isolation from the firm innerspring and while providing less deflection than you currently have.

Another idea that we are considered is putting a 1’ firm layer of polyfoam directly on innerspring, to provide an “insulation layer”…e.g. lots of manufactures use an insulting layer over the innersprings.

Good luck, let us know how you it goes!

Hi jethrodesign,

I would tend to focus on the simplest solutions possible rather than more complex combinations that can be even more difficult to predict and if you do decide to go in the direction of multiple toppers then I would take a more incremental approach and purchase one at a time and then use your experience on that topper as a guideline for any additional toppers that you decide to purchase.

In one of your posts you mentioned liking the Pure Latex Bliss topper or at least thinking it was OK and just as a frame of reference the PLB toppers are in the range of about 14 - 15 ILD or so.

Blended Talalay latex is less dense than 100% natural Talalay and in the same ILD would normally be a little more pressure relieving than 100% natural Talalay which would be a little more “supportive”. For most people an ILD difference of about 3 or less would make very little difference and 3 ILD is inside the tolerance of the manufacturing process itself because latex doesn’t come in exact ILD and there is usually a range of ILD’s across the surface of a layer that are “averaged out” to produce the firmness rating (seehereforanexampleofhowthehttps://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/0https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/1https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/2https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/3https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/4https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/5https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/6https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/7https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/8https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/966/NewRadiumILD1_2014-04-17.gif]see0aboutthedifferencesbetwee100%naturalTalalayhttps://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/0https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/1https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/2https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/3https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/4https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/5https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/6

[quote]So as a very hopeful experiment, I put the 2" blended latex inside the mattress on the springs, and squeezed the 3" 19ILD natural latex that was in the mattress into the topper. I thought that this HAD to be the soft, pressure relieving solution I’ve been searching so long for.

But it’s just still not there :frowning: It’s softer than it was, but I still get some hip pain which causes me to toss & turn, and my back issues possibly feel a bit worse, not better. Pretty bummed after all the time & money spent so far.[/quote]

If a topper is compressed into a tighter cover then the precompression can result in a slightly firmer topper. Even though having 5" of soft latex in your comfort layers would normally feel soft for most people … it may be that you need something softer yet because each person is different. With lighter body weights a material will tend to feel firmer than the same material will feel for someone that is heavier.

I would be very cautious about continuously adding additional toppers on top of what you already have and increasing the thickness of your softer comfort layers. As you increase the thickness of softer layers there is a higher risk of sleeping out of alignment which can make lower back issues worse even though they can help with pressure relief … at least to a point. The challenge is always to find the right balance so that you have “just enough” thickness/softness to relieve pressure and isolate you from the firmness of the deeper layers and components but not so much that the heavier parts of your body sink down too far and compromise alignment.

[quote]Now wondering about trying memory foam topper instead?!? I’ve slept on one when I go home for vacation, and while not perfect, I do sleep pretty soundly and don’t get as much pressure point pain. I’m not sure the specs on it, but think it’s 3". Probably not top-of-the-line. It feels relatively firm at first, but then I sink in. Once settled, it’s comfortable and I sleep pretty sound. But when having to roll over in night, I HATE how difficult it is.

• So have been wondering about trying the Aerus memory foam topper. Is anyone familiar with this or can offer feedback?

• I’m looking at this as it’s supposed to be a bit cooler (I’m in SoCal), and hoping it might be a bit softer too. Would prefer a soft memory foam if possible. If I prefer soft & less of a slow response, should I look at the 3lb instead of 4lb??

• Is the Aerus a specific branded foam that I would be safe purchasing from most reputable retailers?? Reason asking, is that I do see something called Aerus with similar specs selling at places like Wallmart or Amazon online, and pretty affordable. Wondering if they might even be easier to return with then most foam factories? Opinions???[/quote]

The choice of materials would be a preference choice because all materials will come in softer and firmer versions. Some people like the feel or one material and others will prefer the feel of a different material. This wouldn’t be a “better/worse” choice.

Aerus is a brand name for a family of memory foams that come in a range of density levels and isn’t a single product. While any density of memory foam can have a wide range of different properties and firmness levels … in very general terms lower densities will tend to have a faster response with less of the “doughy” and “memory” effect and a faster response than higher density memory foams and will tend to feel a little softer … at least when you first lie on them before the memory foam warms up. There is more about the different properties of memory foam in post #9 here and in post #8 here.

There are so many different versions of memory foam on the market that have different properties, densities, and firmness levels (either initially or after they have warmed up with body heat) that the most reliable way to know how a memory foam topper you are considering compares to others would be a conversation on the phone with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that sells them and who will be more familiar with their memory foam than anyone else and will be able to help you compare them to other memory foam toppers that they are familiar with. Perhaps most importantly of all I would also look for a good return/exchange policy so that if a topper you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hope for that you still have good options available after a purchase to exchange or return it because the only way to know for certain how any topper will feel for you in combination with the rest of your sleeping system will be your own personal experience.

Because a topper can be easily replaced the density and durability may not be as important an issue as it would be inside a finished mattress and it may be worth considering memory foam in a density range as low as 3 lbs for the sake of cost if it has the firmness and the specific properties that you would prefer even though it would be less durable than higher density memory foams.

If you do decide to try a memory foam topper then something in the range of 2" on top of your 3" latex layer inside the mattress would probably be where I would start to see how that works for you in terms of PPP and then I would use your experience on this combination to decide whether you need any additional changes.

Adding an inch of latex on top of memory foam can add to the resilience of your sleeping surface and reduce the amount of motion restriction that can go with sleeping directly on memory foam. It will also reduce the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam so depending on how temperature sensitive the memory foam is it can also “firm up” the memory foam or at least slow down the time it takes for it to become softer with body heat. If you only have a 2" layer of memory foam though I would start with this because with only 2" and with latex underneath it you may find that it will be OK for you and that it won’t be as motion restricting as a thicker or denser memory foam topper. I would always take a “one step at a time” approach when you are adding layers or toppers.

Phoenix

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the insight.

Motuman, you hit on something I’ve been wondering about as well - the extra firmness in the middle area which is where I’m having most of my discomfort (hips). My situation is may be different from yours, as I’m an exclusive side-sleeper, sleep alone, and have almost no ‘natural’ padding on my hips (pretty thin guy ; ). So I think I was initially feeling mostly the pressure point pain, but when I switched to the 3" 19ILD topper, I may be feeling some alignment issues as well now.

Interesting that I was initially wondering if the springs would be firm enough :dry: Now I’m wondering if they can get the version of the spring system without the extra-firm middle, but I’m betting they won’t be able to (he told me they got a special deal with L&P to sell the spring system).

And I wasn’t planning on piling new toppers on top of what I have. I’m hoping to be able to return what’s not working. So I’m ‘hoping’ that a 3" topper of some sort can work over the existing mattress, which has a pretty firm feel on it’s own. I’ve wondered about keeping the 2" latex in the mattress, as that seems a bit more solid, then trying to get a better topper (really starting to wonder about memory foam option).

OK, thanks. Most of the places I see this foam don’t list many specs beyond general marketing info & thickness. But I do think I saw somewhere that it can come in 3lb, 4lb or 5lb densities. I’m wondering if I might prefer 3lb as I don’t like the initial firmness & slow response when trying to roll over.

I think that’s what had me thinking that a 3" soft latex layer would work for me regardless of the firmness of the mattress. I think I tried the topper I could find on a variety of firm mattresses and it seemed to feel pretty good on all, though that was only a few minutes in a showroom. I guess I assumed a 3" 19ILD ‘soft’ Talalay topper would be the same, but now I wonder.

Well, maybe I’ll try to find a topper in a local store again to try once more. They’re just so rare to find when I look. Most places don’t have toppers. And I’ll also call Arizona Mattresses and see what they can do (and make sure I don’t push the return envelope out too far).

Thanks for the help!!!

Hi jethrodesign,

Aerus is typically in a 2 lb to 4 lb density range but you will occasionally find it in higher density versions as well (see here). The lower density versions will tend to be a little softer and will also have less “memory” but the tradeoff is that they will also be less durable and will need to be replaced more frequently. I would normally use 4 lb as a minimum guideline but if you are using it as a topper or as a component layer that can be replaced without replacing the whole mattress then it may also be worth considering the 3 lb density version if the durability tradeoff was worth it to you.

A zoned innerspring with firmer coils in the middle would reduce the risk of alignment issues for most people but all the layers and components of a mattress will affect the feel and performance of all the other layers so a particular topper on one mattress may not work as well as the same topper on another mattress that has a different design and combination of materials and components. Most firm mattresses have some softer comfort layers (they are just thinner than softer mattresses) and the firmness of the mattress comes from a combination of the firmness of the support layers and the thickness/softness of the comfort layers above them and differences between the softer comfort layers in firm mattresses can make a significant difference in how a firm mattress feels with a particular topper.

Phoenix

OK, I ordered a 2" 3lb Aerus topper to try. It was pretty cheap, so it can be replaced when necessary. I’m just mostly curious to see if it is a bit faster acting, so I can roll over easier. Of course, I hope it relieves my pressure point pain.

• I would still like to try putting a 1" soft latex layer above or below this to take some of the initial edge off of it, if it isn’t totally working. Any resources for 1" Talalay latex toppers? I can only find 2" or 3" at most places (found 1, but it was as expensive as 2-3" toppers). Must be soft.

I went to a place over the weekend that sold the Berkeley Ergonomics beds, which have a pretty similar makeup to mine (latex over coil springs). I was only there for a few minutes, but from what I could tell, they did feel similar.

But one thing I was shown that I’d been thinking about was a really custom slat-base foundation that B.E. sells. It’s pretty advanced, and likewise pricey ($600). But it did appear to make a difference in otherwise equal mattresses.

• Any links or resources that might give general specs for foundations that might have a little ‘give’? I can just get the wood and build it on the top of my platform so it’s not so high (probably cheaper too). But wondering about specs (type & thickness of wood, average spacing, would it need a middle support rail, etc).

Hoping I can get this figured out. Put my bed back with the 3" soft foam inside and 2" blended topper. But got pretty bad hip pains last night that woke me up Spoke with the seller of the bed, and they seem a bit at a loss as to what to do. They say what I have 'SHOULD" be working great. So I’m kinda on my own a bit…

Thanks for any additional advice!

Kenny.

Hi jethrodesign,

The component post here includes the better sources for latex toppers I’m aware of but there are 1" Talalay toppers available from …

I don’t have any specific “spec” suggestions no and most of them would be structurally capable of supporting a latex mattress and would have a suitable support surface with small enough gaps between the slats. You can also see some comments about the pros and cons of flexible foundations (either with or without the ability to change the tension/firmness in certain areas) in post #2 here and the foundation post here has a number of links to various flexible foundations.

Phoenix