Green Choice Mattress at Denver Mattress

hi dunbroke,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had some time sleeping on it!

Phoenix

Hi,
I was searching for a mattress for my son’s room. I wanted a good quality mattress but did not want to spend a fortune for a kids room. So, when I found the Green Choice Mattress at Denver Mattress, I was very pleased with the price. This mattress was much firmer than most of the memory foam mattresses. I have had the mattress for 3 months and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. My son says that it is very comfortable. It is holding its shape nicely. I have slept on it and I will never buy a spring mattress again. I will either buy a air mattress or I may even buy one of these for myself. I don’t know how the mattress will hold up but for the price it is a good purchase.

Hi sunshine,

You are the second one on the forum who has mentioned the Green Choice at Denver Mattress so I thought it was time to find out a bit more about them for the benefit of others who may want to know about them.

I called a few outlets and they are apparently only available at a limited number of Denver mattress outlets and there are no current plans to add them to the website.

I didn’t get the specs of each of the 6 or so different models (each of which have a different layering and feel) but in general terms they are imported from China and use various combinations of 3 lb density memory foam along with various layers of polyfoam in the comfort layers and the support core. They weren’t able to tell me if any of the foams used were certified for offgassing through CertiPur or another testing method so for those who are concerned about any offgassing I would take this into account.

Post #6 here also has some information about the additional uncertainty that can be involved if you are buying a mattress that is made in China.

They told me that a reasonable expectation would be that a customer would need to replace them in about 3 or 4 years although of course this would depend on height and weight and sleeping style along with the frequency of use.

These would generally make a more suitable choice for a child (if they were old enough that any memory foam mattress was suitable in terms of offgassing and support/alignment) or someone who was very light because of the low density/durability of the foams used. They also told me that they used more temperature sensitive memory foam and would tend to be on the “warmer” side of the spectrum for memory foam mattresses.

So overall … these would make a good choice for those who were either very light and/or were looking for a lower quality/price memory foam mattress for a spare bedroom or who didn’t mind that it wouldn’t last as long as a higher quality or price choice.

Thanks for mentioning them and motivating me to find out more about them :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am now the third person to mention this mattress! Im 22 years old, athletic built, 185 pounds. Just moved to Denver to attend college. Left all my furniture behind with my parents in California. I went to the Denver Mattress store in the huge huge Furniture Row warehouse off of the I-25. Sales people werent the best. They asked general questions: what is the price range? soft? firm? After my answers, a sales rep pointed to the several mattress and expected me to lie on it and just say, “hell ill take this one!” Then he pointed me to the Green Choice one in the corner. It felt nice with the comfort initially on top, especially since I toss and turn at night, maybe from just terrible dreams/anxiety or the awful beds ive slept on…who knows. I took like 2 minute pretend naps on all sides. After 45 seconds-ish, something didnt feel right, spider senses tingling. The store provides different demo (soft-firm) pillows. Pillows were decent, but none complimented the Green Choice mattress. I need a mattress asap since ill be moving out of my friends place into my own apt. But for sure not going to settle for something that has a cheap feel. Glad i found this website though!

Maybe someone can help me locate some good local vendors/manufacturers? My zip is 80218. Pretty much Denver, CO. Thanks guys

Hi weirdpuffy,

A mattress is only as good as the construction and quality of the material that are in it. You can see the guidelines I would use when you are buying a memory foam mattress in post #10 here and the Green Choice memory foam mattress doesn’t meet them which means that I personally would pass on it except in unusual circumstances where I was looking for more of a “throwaway mattress”.

The better options I know of in the Denver area are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

I just got an ad from Denver mattress. the green choice is advertised. it says it is certipur u.s. it also says it is made
without mercury, lead or heavy metals. it is made without ozone depleters (no cfc’s). made without prohibited phthalates. made
without formaldehyde. made without pbde’s. just wondered what you think.

Hi harvey,

I’m glad that they are CertiPur certified but they still don’t meet the criteria in post #10 here. Their specs are now listed on the site and confirm my thoughts from (post #9 earlier in this thread). They use too much lower density/quality (3 lb) memory foam than I would consider except in very unusual or “temporary” circumstances where how long the mattress lasted wasn’t an issue.

Like any mattress purchase … the quality of a mattress is only as good as the construction and quality of the materials inside it and if you don’t know the quality of all the layers or if you do know and it’s clear that the material quality is very low … I would avoid it for the sake of durability regardless of any certification.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,

Now I’m really discouraged. I went to Denver Mattress and my husband and I fell in love with the Green Choice Bliss memory foam mattress and I look for reviews and find this. We don’t want to make a bad decision and unfortunately a budget is a budget. We can’t spend more than $600 on a mattress. What would you suggest?

Hi bgilbert37,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

In low budget ranges such as yours it will be much more common to find lower quality materials in a mattress that may feel great at first but will soften or break down and can lose the comfort and support which was the reason you purchased it in the first place much too quickly (and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by a warranty … see post #174 here).

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Post #4 here also includes some of the better online options I’m aware of that are in lower budget ranges and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I just wanted to let everyone know that my wife and I bought a queen-size Green Choice Bliss for our 5th-wheel RV. A big consideration was the matress height, due to the vanity at the foot of the bed. (For those unfamiliar with 5th-wheel slides, the mattress tucks under the vanity table, when the slide-out is stowed for travelling.)

I stay in the RV for several weeks at a time. At 6’ 2" and 230 pounds, it sleeps well. My wife is 120 pounds and also liked sleeping on it.

Granted, I have slept on nicer beds, but this mattress does the job well.

Would I buy it as a primary mattress for the house? I don’t know. However, if money was tight, I would not have an issue with paying > $400.

We paid $369 for ours in September.

MarkN

Hi mn_voyager,

The issue with low quality memory foam isn’t how well you may sleep on it but with how long you will sleep well and the durability of the memory foam. Lower quality materials can feel the same as higher quality materials … they just don’t maintain their comfort and/or support for nearly as long.

Of course for an RV or for temporary use durability would be less of an issue but for every day use this would be a very risky choice.

Phoenix

I am 63 years old and suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I also have trouble sleeping soundly at night and have neck issues. After looking at SleepNumber, Temperpedic, Sealy Optimum, Serta, I decided on decided on purchasing a queen size Green Choice Meditation at Denver Mattress in Rapid City, SD. Here is the information listed on the Denver Mattress Web page:

Green Choice Meditation
On the Cutting Edge of Foam Science
Green Choice mattresses are rolled for shipping. Please allow 4-5 hours after unrolling your new mattress, before you sleep on it. It may take a week or two for the mattress to fully regain its shape. x

The Green Choice® line of mattresses offers superior support for proper spinal alignment and the body hugging comfort of our exclusive ViscoElas™ family of plant based memory foams.

Gel ViscoElas™
Combining our Ventana ViscoElas™ memory foam with Next Generation Gel Technology has produced a Gel ViscoElas™ on the cutting edge of comfort engineering. Soft, yet supportive and conforming, our Gel ViscoElas™ has to be felt to be believed.

ViscoElas™
Featuring minimal motion transfer and superior conformability, our exclusive Green Choice® ViscoElas™ features more of everything you love about memory foam…More Pressure Relieving Comfort and Less Partner Disturbing Motion Transfer.

HybridCore™
Every Green Choice® mattress features the revolutionary and patent pending HybridCore™ inner support system. With a unique composite structure, the Green Choice’s HybridCore™ offers years of body supporting comfort so you don’t have to worry about depressions and soft spots.

Additional Information
Made without mercury, lead or heavy metals
Made without ozone depleters (no CFCs)
Made without prohibited phthalates
Made without PBDEs

15 Year Non-Prorated Warranty
Mattress Depth: 13"

Construction
Quilt Layers:
Double Jacquard Zip Outer Cover
Comfort Layers:
1.5" Gel ViscoElas™ Memory Foam
3" of 3lb ViscoElas™ Memory Foam
Support System:
7.5" ES HybridCore™
1" of 2lb ES Support Foam

Retail Price of the mattress is $874 though they had it on sale this week for $799. I purchased a clearance return for $399. I felt the risk was worth it. The sales person I bought it has owned 2 of them. One in queen and now one in king. While I was there another couple bought one. It seemed very comfortable to me, and I paired it with an Ergo 330 (wireless remote, memory positions, message controls). With 2 IsoCool pillows and mattress pad, tax and free delivery and setup the total came to $1800.94.

As stated there is not a lot of info about this brand of mattress. They sell an awful lot of them. Denver mattress has 101 stores in over a dozen states. Many of this brand fly out of the door, so they say.

Whether or not this is low quality will remain to be seen. The mattress does have a 15 year warranty that is serviced in store, so to me that is much better than letting the manufacturer make the decision. Often more expensive brands require you to use their brand of bases and jack up the price because of this. To me it is more important to have a full feature adjustable base than and very expensive mattress. Everything else I looked at was in the $4200 - $7000+ range. Way to much $$$ for me as a retiree. If money wasn’t an issue I probably would buy a $10,000 Tempurpedic or SleepNumber with the most expensive base. But money is an issue to me. For $400, if i get comfort out of it for 4 or 5 years, and then it starts to break down, I will cry “warranty” and see what they say.

What’s not to say it will last 6-8 years? Only time will tell. I was treated nicely buy the sales people, got 4 years 0% financing and payments of $37.50 a month. You can’t beat that. On top of that, I have a 90 day free exchange on the mattress and 1 year test on the Ergo. Their are not many franchises that offer that. I highly recommend Denver Mattress at this point if you live in an area that has a store.

My question to you (admin) is how long do you expect a “higher quality” memory foam mattress to last? After all in my opinion, a mattress is only as good as its warranty. A cheaper priced mattress with a great warranty has much more value to me than an expensive one with a company that “nitpiks” on warranty. Rarely is the most expensive product the best value. If I can get 5 years out of an $800 mattress and then get it replaced for free that is much better deal then spending $3000 for 10 years of use. I hope you understand my point.

For people on a budget, I would strongly consider looking at this mattress and frame at Denver Mattress.

Hi neocacher,

You can see some comments about the Green Choice mattresses in posts #9 and #13 here and the rest of the topic. Unfortunately they use lower quality/density 3 lb memory foams which would generally be a significant weak link in the mattress.

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it and this is a “low quality” Chinese memory foam mattress not a high quality mattress by any means. I would also be aware that a mattress warranty only covers defects in a mattress and not the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality materials) loss of comfort and support that is the main reason that people need to replace a mattress and mattress warranties are more about marketing than anything else and have very little to nothing to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or when you will need to replace it at your own expense (see post #174 here about mattress warranties).

There is no way to know for certain how long any mattress will last or maintain it’s comfort and/or support for any particular person or how long it will take before any particular person crosses the thresholds between sleeping well on a mattress to sleeping “OK” to tolerating a mattress to finally deciding to replace it because there are too many variables involved but a mattress that uses lower quality materials such as these would generally have a useful lifetime of anywhere from months in some cases to a few years in others. In some cases if the mattress is already on the edge of being too soft for a particular person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) when it is new then even the initial break in period (usually from 30 - 90 days) may take them over the edge of the comfort/support range that would be suitable for them (see post #2 here) but this is more of a suitability issue (choosing a mattress that is too soft) than a durability issue.

Having said that … with lower quality materials such as these a useful lifetime of 5 years would be unusual and for most people it would probably be considerably less. There is more about the many factors that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

How long would you expect the foam to last in a Tempurpedic vs. Green Choice. Also, I don’t know how you are aware that is foam is made in China, and how do you know it is low quality? Did you read the list of materials that I have posted? Price does not always determine value or quality. This could be a medium quality foam and who is the authority here?

Speaking of which, What brand do you recommend for a higher quality but lower priced mattress?

Hi neocatcher,

As I mentioned in my last reply there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for any particular person but if a mattress is well inside the comfort/support range that is suitable for someone and isn’t close to the edge of the range that is too soft for someone when it is new and meets the minimum quality specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

It’s always more realistic to think of 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress no matter what the quality of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

With higher quality materials throughout a mattress and/or for people whose needs and preferences or physical condition or body type hasn’t changed much over 10 years then “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” with higher quality/density materials like latex or higher density memory foam is much more likely than with materials that are in a lower quality/density range.

As I mentioned in the post I linked I have talked with them about their Green Choice mattresses. They list the quality/density of the memory foams in their descriptions so that part is easy to find out.

I couldn’t agree with this more and this is one of the reasons that I started this site and wrote much of the information that you will find on it. There are many high priced mattresses that use low quality/density materials that certainly wouldn’t be worth considering. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

3 lb memory foam is certainly a lower quality and less durable material than I would consider in layers that are more than “about an inch or so” which would be a weak link in a mattress. The density of memory foam and polyfoam is the single biggest factor in its durability and higher density memory foam and polyfoam would generally be more durable than lower density versions of the same materials.

There is more about durability in the previous post I linked but if you want some additional reading then post #5 here includes some links to more industry information about foam density and durability and if you are interested then there are also some links to more technical information about polyfoam and memory foam in post #2 here that are also very interesting but more technical reading.

I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations about “what” to choose (either for a specific mattress or a specific manufacturer) … only “how” to choose a mattress that is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but some of the better lower budget options I’m aware of are linked in post #4 here.

Phoenix

We recently bought and returned the green choice Meditation mattress at Denver Mattress. The first problem was it didn’t meet the specifications advertised-13 inches tall with 1.5 inches gel memory foam, 3 inches vis. mem. foam, 7.5 inches hyb. core, 1 inch support foam. Our king mattress was less than 10.3 inches tall with only 1.5 inches vis .mem .foam and a 6 inch hyb. core, also, it was only 78 inches long instead of 80. We called our saleslady, who told us the less expensive form mattresses vary in size and to wait a month, but 3 inches short in height and 2 inches short in length seems too much. We wanted to exchange it, but you’re only allowed one and these mattresses come air-vacuumed, taking 4 days to inflate to its actual size.

We came in and asked another saleslady if it could be sent to the store and inflated there and if it met specifications, we could exchange it and not be burned a second time. She agreed and ordered it. The mattress arrived, but our original saleslady and a manager said they wouldn’t allow it to inflate at the store.

My wife went to the store to measure the queen Meditation on the floor. They had told her their mattress was 12.5 inches tall. But when the cover was removed, it was only a little over 10.5 inches high and 78.5 long. With that knowledge, it wasn’t worth exchanging, odds are the majority, if not all, fall short. Also after a month on the mattress, we started having sever back pain. The hybrid core does not appear to be solid, but looked like broken pieces of foam from the outside.

Fortunately, their policy allows a 4 month return to get a 100% refund or exchange. We decided not to buy at Denver mattress, since the measurement problem was not an issue to them. It would have been nice if they had offered to pick up our bad mattress, because we felt it had been falsely advertised, but they didn’t. These mattresses are very awkward, heavy and difficult to handle plus if there is any soil, marks, or stains, it voids the warranty.

We did a lot of research and purchased an organic/natural latex mattress that is 12 inches with an organic 1 inch cover, online at Sleep EZ, [a member of this sight]. This company was so helpful, they even measured the length for us and e-mailed the picture of it being 80 inches long before shipping it to us. Everything they advertised was true. We love this mattress, it is extremely comfortable as well as supportive…we highly recommend this company and it’s products.

Hi Whitelite,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and experiences … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

[quote]We recently bought and returned the green choice Meditation mattress at Denver Mattress. The first problem was it didn’t meet the specifications advertised-13 inches tall with 1.5 inches gel memory foam, 3 inches vis. mem. foam, 7.5 inches hyb. core, 1 inch support foam. Our king mattress was less than 10.3 inches tall with only 1.5 inches vis .mem .foam and a 6 inch hyb. core, also, it was only 78 inches long instead of 80. We called our saleslady, who told us the less expensive form mattresses vary in size and to wait a month, but 3 inches short in height and 2 inches short in length seems too much. We wanted to exchange it, but you’re only allowed one and these mattresses come air-vacuumed, taking 4 days to inflate to its actual size.

We came in and asked another saleslady if it could be sent to the store and inflated there and if it met specifications, we could exchange it and not be burned a second time. She agreed and ordered it. The mattress arrived, but our original saleslady and a manager said they wouldn’t allow it to inflate at the store.

My wife went to the store to measure the queen Meditation on the floor. They had told her their mattress was 12.5 inches tall. But when the cover was removed, it was only a little over 10.5 inches high and 78.5 long. With that knowledge, it wasn’t worth exchanging, odds are the majority, if not all, fall short. Also after a month on the mattress, we started having sever back pain. The hybrid core does not appear to be solid, but looked like broken pieces of foam from the outside.

Fortunately, their policy allows a 4 month return to get a 100% refund or exchange. We decided not to buy at Denver mattress, since the measurement problem was not an issue to them. It would have been nice if they had offered to pick up our bad mattress, because we felt it had been falsely advertised, but they didn’t. These mattresses are very awkward, heavy and difficult to handle plus if there is any soil, marks, or stains, it voids the warranty.[/quote]

It’s not all that uncommon that a mattress that was shipped from China doesn’t return to it’s full dimensions after being compressed for a longer period of time and you also may have dodged a bullet by returning it instead of exchanging it since as you’ve probably read in this topic the Green Choice mattresses use lower quality/density materials that would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability anyway. Some of the mattresses that they make themselves would certainly be worth considering but I would avoid the Green Choice mattresses and the major brands that they also carry.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think very highly of SleepEZ and the mattress you purchased is certainly a much better quality/value choice than any of the Green Choice mattresses.

It’s also great to hear that you are sleeping well on it and that the choice you made was such a good “fit” for you as well!.

Phoenix

I know this is late, but to help future shoppers I thought I’d leave an owner’s review. I’ve owned 3 of the Green Choice Bliss mattresses for about 3½ years. First of all, the 2 that are for my children are fine, they still like them, and have no issue. It is a great cheap mattress for children and people under 115lbs.
Now for adults (115lbs+) usage, I’m large semi athletic build 225 lbs, my wife is around 125ish lbs… It was very comfortable when we first got it. However, the memory foam has become softer and softer with usage. Now when you lay on it, it has 2 sags in it (one on my side, one on my wife’s). The middle is still at original firmness, so if we snuggle, one of us is on a ridge. It was fine at first, but not any more. I would not recommend this mattress if there’s more than one person sleeping on it, and you want to have any intimacy after it is “broken in” this happens about year 2. We did notice it softened some at about 6 months. The mattress is supposed to be flip free, however we flip it about every 3 to 6 months. We have also rotated it. This was due to its starting to bring the sags/soften. Letting the mattress “rest” seemed to help at first, but not any more. As for sleeping on it, year one was great, year 2 was okay, year 3 you start to fuss, but for the past 3 months we’re wanting to sleep on the floor.
And the warranty is rubbish. In order for them to warranty it it has to have a sag of more than one inch… It’s memory foam. The problem is not a traditional sag. The problem is that the memory foam is worn out, and creates the SAG as soon as you lay on it. when you get off of it it returns to normal shape, it just loses all of his support. So you can’t take it back for warranty. If you’re looking for a cheap mattress, and you will get a new one in 2 or 3 years, get it. But if you’re looking for a long-term mattress, look elsewhere. That is my opinion.

Hi Wolf68,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

I’m sorry your Green Choice mattress didn’t work out well for you. As I think you’re already aware, this mattress uses lower density materials (see details earlier in this thread here and here), and I would advise caution for anyone to consider such an item for adult use. Unfortunately, the time frame you referenced is probably about what you’d expect with an item using this level of lower density foams.

Thanks for sharing.

Phoenix