Have a Latex Configuration In mind

Hi,

I have been lurking for a few weeks and have become thoroughly SATURATED in information, including all things latex.

Like most, I want to try something out in a store to connect the information to the feel, if even just for 90 mins in a showroom.

I have mixed feelings about going to a showroom knowing that they have no chance of getting my business (this was a Saavy Rest dealer - just won’t pay that price). My wife and I specifically wanted to see if Latex was for us and get an idea for the comfort and support layers. We found that we did like latex and tried several configurations of their 3-layer offerings. This seemed to be where we landed:

Top layer: 3" Med Talalay
Mid layer: 3" Med Dunlop
Base layer: 3" Firm Dunlop

There mattress covering is a wool batting in natural cotton, seemed fine.

What I have learned from reading here is that Saavy does not give their compression levels, yet I know that there are 2 Talalay manufacturers on the plant so I should be able to get close shopping around. I"m thinking I may not have to deal with too much variance in Dunlop in layers 2 and 3, with the traditional process (continuous could be a bit softer and may talk to Spindle about that).

With all that said, it seems mattress.net, flexus, foamorder, and sleepez are all in the running. I really liked the info on Spindle as well (thou he is all dunlop - I may call). I will deep dive on searches here for all of these companies as I am ok ordering online. My questions:

1. Am I missing any company?
  2. Am I missing anything trying to translate the Saavy Rest trial we did to other e-tailers? Will I find differences in the actual product?
  3. I am open to the “hey stupid, you forgot about this” if I have blatantly missed some important detail.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Hi MikeinVA,

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Another mattress that uses the same type and blend of latex with the same thickness and the same firmness in each layer and has a similar cover will be closely comparable to the Savvy Rest mattress that you tested.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including 100% natural Talalay and Dunlop and certified organic Dunlop) that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering. Post #3 here also includes a list of manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses and many of these are similar to Savvy Rest mattresses except of course they are generally in lower budget ranges and have different return and layer exchange policies.

You have all the information that it will be possible to get (the type and blend of latex and the thickness of each layer) because Savvy Rest doesn’t provide exact specifics about the ILD of their layers. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and quilting material) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and the mattress “as a whole” so any differences in the mattresses in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP would depend on how any differences in design, layer thicknesses, the type and blend of latex, and the firmness of each layer affected the overall feel and performance of each mattress you are comparing.

Mattresses that have exactly the same design and specs will be closely comparable but different people with different body types, sleeping styles, sensitivities and preferences may have different opinions about how two mattresses that have a different design and specs will compare to each other. In some cases two mattresses that have different specs may be closely comparable for some people but can feel different to others. The only reliable way to know for certain how they will compare for you will be based on your own careful testing on both mattresses (hopefully side by side in real time) or on your own personal experience…

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks for the quick response. Yes, I’ve been through the tutorials and overviews and did find the member manufacturers list for latex, though I did not have this component list referenced in post #3. Thanks for that. There’s a few more to check out.

I agree that it’s likely that the next level of depth will come from phone calls with a few of these companies.

What people have found and prefer here will help to know as it’s simply very unlikely to test latex mattresses from different manufacturers side-by-side.

The demo I would love to witness would be the Saavy Rest config, right next to the same set up from one of the member companies here, right next to the most comparable set up from Spindle. The latter will probably get one of my first calls because I am curious about what they suggest (really like the info they share, and the way it’s shared).

Thanks again.

MikeinVA,

The guidance you receive from each manufacturer will be much more reliable than individual feedback on the forum because it will be based on their experience over a period of years and on the “averages” of many customers rather than just a few people’s feedback that may have a different body type, sleeping style, or sensitivities than you. They would be much more knowledgeable about how their mattress compare to other mattresses that they are familiar with than any of the forum members (including me).

In general terms though … if a mattress uses the same type and blend of latex (two layers of 100% natural Dunlop with a layer of 100% natural Talalay on top) in the same thickness and same firmness and with a very similar cover then it would be closely comparable regardless of which manufacturer makes it.

Spindle uses 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop rather than 100% natural Dunlop made in a mold or the 100% natural Talalay that was in the top layer of the mattress that you tested and their latex ILD ratings are different from 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay that was in your mattress so you would need their guidance to help you decide on the combination of layers that would be most closely comparable to the layer combination that you tested.

I would also keep in mind that even if another mattress has a different layering combination than the one you tested it may be just as suitable for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as the Savvy Rest mattress you tested

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks, Have read about Continuous Pour and viewed the videos…very cool process and it would seem they have found a way to make a much more consistent product. Time will well.

Having spoken to Kim from Spindle some 3 weeks ago I have pulled the trigger on a Spindle Medium King. Looking forward to the shipment and letting all know what I think!

Hi MikeinVA,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Kim was very helpful. We spent at least 30 minutes on the phone discussing the config I tested in a store and how that might compare to what Spindle offers. Having talked it through, I believe I have ordered a nice solution. Should be shipped in 7 days. Can’t wait!

Just a quick update that I have traded a couple of e-mails with Kim at Spindle. I was concerned about possible seams or ridges that I have observed in some of their videos and pictures. It turns out this is a mold mark from the continuous Dunlop process and is not noticeable when using the mattress. Confident in his response, I await the shipment of my order this week.