Heavy Mostly Side Sleeper Southern California

Hello everyone!

I’m a 30 yr old male from Southern California. Ontario,CA to be exact. I’ve been doing reading and going back & forth between posts on here. I’m 6’0 & 329lbs. 3/5 side sleeper with mostly the rest being on stomach or some on back. I think this is due to my old mattress being a rebuild I was gifted. Recently moved into a new apartment and I’m looking for a king bed since I move around so much. I’ve been to some S places and found out at least a bit of what feels comfortable. I am also a hot sleeper.

A hybrid Sealy that was firm felt good. The softer ones that I laid in, I sunk in and I didn’t like them. There was a traditional King Koil that felt good as well. I don’t know the firmness since the salesperson avoided questions & kept saying that what’s inside doesn’t matter. Red flag

From my reading on here I understand that either all latex or latex top layer with strong coils on the bottom (pocket coils seemed the best from my understanding) are my options. So I was wondering where could I go that’s within a 50mi radius from me that I could try them out. Or a company that deals with my PPP & stuff that ships out here. Any other suggestions, ideas, or/and posts to read are welcome. Im still pretty green when it comes to mattresses; my budget would be $2,500~. Less would be better, but if a couple hundred more is necessary, then that’s fine. Thanks :smile:

Hi jm66,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground and joining as a new MUGster!

Residing on the East Coast, I don’t have many firsthand recommendations in the Los Angeles area, but one that stands out is Custom Comfort.

If you’re willing to venture a couple of hours north or south, you have Trusted Members like Mattress Makers, and independent mattress manufacturers such as Spencer’s Ventura Mattress, and Santa Barbara Mattress. Checking out RoyalPedic’s website might also yield options within a short distance of Ontario.

You’ll find a variety of Trusted Members here at TMU offering nationwide delivery. While legacy brands might catch your eye, it’s wise to proceed with caution. Through research, you’ll likely discover that independent mattress manufacturers offer better price-to-value ratios, providing longevity, and higher customer satisfaction. Some Bed-in-a-Box (BinB) brands also provide quality mattresses within your budget and preferences. You will need to proceed with caution regarding the BinB’s. Look for ones who make their mattresses within their own factories, made here in America, and who are obvious not marketing companies posing as mattress companies.

As you continue your search, you’ll come across suggestions for various types of mattresses, including all-latex mattresses, hybrid mattresses blending latex and springs, hybrids incorporating synthetic foams and pocket springs, and mattresses incorporating natural fibers like wool, cotton, and even horsehair. Each of these can be viable options, as long as their construction is carefully considered and well-executed.

Key components to look for include a supportive spring layer, preferably in the high 12 to low 14-gauge range, and high-density foam ranging from a minimum of 1.8 to 2.8 lbs. If you must use memory foam, at least 4lb and 5lb density. Latex and natural fibers offer long term durability and overall comfort. For someone such as yourself, I would try and look for densities over 2lbs, but overall construction and layout is important.

Remember, a mattress is only as good as its weakest layer. I advocate for edge-to-edge springs over perimeter foam encasement for long-term support.

It’s essential to know what’s inside a mattress; transparency matters. If a company hesitates to disclose specifications, it’s a red flag. Moving on is wise in such cases.

For Bed-in-a-Box options, consider the DLX Classic Hybrid and Premier Hybrid, both designed to accommodate individuals of your size. Alternatively, consult with other Trusted Members who can help you find a mattress matching your needs from a distance.

If you do find a legacy brand that suits you, Magic Sleeper Mattress offers a system to duplicate it, ensuring your comfort using materials they would be willing to discuss and be transparent about.

You can always refer to the plethora of tutorials we offer here at TMU. The Five Steps to the Perfect Mattress is a short version tutorial that offers a long of information in a compact format.

If you have a question for a specific Trusted Member Expert you can look here and just add the @ symbol as a prefix to the Trusted Member you have questions for.

Good luck on your continued search,

Maverick

I live 30 miles from you here in Monrovia.

Go to a Sit N Sleep and try King Koil Pure Bliss Latex. The talalay latex is incredible. Seems similar to Flobeds….but Flobeds is adjustable.

Also go to Mathis Brothers and Living Spaces

Try Ortho Mattress for the Airelooms. Look for Chester (M1) in Firm and Plush and Westchester (M2) in Firm and Plush.

There is a Flexus Comfort in Covina to try Dunlop and Talalay latex at incredible price.

For super exotic……Samina Sleep in Pasadena. Real pricy, but it feels great.

I think your best bet is with Aireloom or Kingkoil Latex/Flobed latex.

John

Thank you I’ll look into ‘em :grin: sorry for the late reply I’ve been on a crazy work run lately

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll check em out :grin: sorry for the late reply. Ive been working a lot