Heavy side-sleeping couple

Hello. Been shopping for a new mattress for a while, and am considering either a latex over coil hybrid or an all latex. I’ll be buying a king bed for myself and my husband. We are both in our mid-40s with high body weights, 6’0"/250 lbs., and 5’7’/305 lbs. We are both side sleepers with “curvier” profiles (his wider shoulders and my wider hips). Edge support and motion isolation are important factors for us. What type of mattress would you recommend for us? Really appreciate the help!

Hello and thank you so much for the inquiry! Based on the information you’ve provided, the only mattresses that Sleep EZ carries that would work for you guys would be our natural or organic 10" or 13" latex mattresses. Our mattresses have more edge support than memory foam but less edge support than a spring mattress, is the best way to put it. We don’t get any complaints or returns because of a lack of edge support, so I think you’ll be fine there.

If you choose the organic latex mattress, I would absolutely recommend medium Talalay over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop for your husband’s side of the mattress, and firm Talalay over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop for your side. Please don’t let the terms “firm” and “extra firm” fool you, this will feel more like a medium or even soft mattress for you guys. Regarding the recommendation, The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3" of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

If you decide on the 13" mattress, you would keep the same configuration as outlined above, you would just have a 4th (extra firm) layer at the bottom of the mattress.