Heavyweight Help

I have been reading and researching and testing mattresses for a couple weeks now and am beginning to learn enough to be dangerous, but need some advice. I have been looking for some kind of general matrix that estimates height and weight vs mattress density and thickness to get in the right ballpark on what mattress materials and configurations are most likely to meet my needs, but have been unsuccessful.

I am about 5’10" and yo-yo between 260 and 300+ pounds. My wife is 5’5" and about 150ish pounds.

I did find a calculator on Spindle’s site that basically recommends that anyone over about 215lbs may need more than 9 inches of latex for optimum comfort. I think I may have experienced this first hand when evaluating latex mattresses in person. I tried a number of 3x3" configurations from Firm-Firm-Med all Dunlop to Firm-Med-Soft all Talalay and noticed only marginal differences between them until adding a 3" Talalay topper, which seemed to improve comfort across the range.

Problem is that I have OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea) and for me it is positional so I intend to use mattress with an adjustable base in a split king configuration and sleep inclined. I am concerned about using more than a 10" total mattress thickness, and especially with a topper, in conjunction with an adjustable base. Should I be, what are the limits and pros and cons?

Also, my wife and I sleep hot and prefer to stay away from memory foam, at least in the comfort layers.

Is there any alternate material or mix of materials that would be better than latex for balancing mattress thickness and flexibility with surface comfort and temperature control for our application?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

Hi DLBZone,
In our experience, 9" of latex is perfectly fine for anyone under 310 pounds. A 12" or 13" mattress will work just fine on an adjustable base, but a 9" mattress would contour to the bends in the adjustable base just a little better.
As for general recommendation guidelines, we normally recommend soft Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for anyone under 180 pounds that sleeps on their side or back. We normally recommend medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for anyone between 180 and 240 pounds that sleeps on their side or back. We normally recommend medium Talalay over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop for anyone between 240 and 310 pounds that sleeps on their side or back. We normally recommend firm Talalay over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop for anyone over 300 pounds.

I am not familiar with any other materials that would provide the same flexibility, surface comfort, and temperature control for your application.

Hi LMF,

Thanks for your response. For clarification, is the final recommendation for 4 layers or did you accidentally repeat the 3 rd layer?

It is good to know 13" is ok on adjustable if needed.

Finally, what drove these recommendations? Did someone study latex displacement and spinal alignment vs weight? Or pressure mapping vs weight? Or other?

Thanks!

The final recommendation was for someone over 300 pounds. Once someone weighs more than 300 pounds we normally recommend 4 layers of latex to ensure that the person gets the right combination of both contour and support. As such, my last recommendation had 4 layers in it, with the bottom layer being extra firm Dunlop.

We use our 43 years or experience to make very accurate recommendations for our customers, and we base our recommendations on a person’s height, weight, and sleeping preferences.

LMF,

Thank you for your response!

My wife and I went again today to evaluate mattresses and one adjustable bed Base. My wife was happy with the Latex mattresses and her favorite was exactly what you recommend for her weight. Firm Dunlop - Medium Dunlop, Soft Talalay, but she said she could also accept either the Firm Dunlop - Medium Dunlop - Soft Talalay or even Firm Dunlop - Medium Dunlop - Medium Talalay.

Me on the other hand, I like them a tad softer than the recommendation for my weight. I think my favorite was the Firm Dunlop - Medium Dunlop - Medium Talalay and I liked the Firm Dunlop - Medium Dunlop - Soft Dunlop and the Firm Dunlop - Medium Dunlop - Soft Talalay, but am afraid those two won’t hold up for me. I tried a Firm Dunlop - Firm Dunlop - Medium Dunlop, but it felt too firm. They didn’t have any extra firm layers available to try. In hindsight, maybe I should have asked them to configure a Firm Dunlop - Firm Dunlop - Medium Talalay to try and maybe I will in the future.

Now I need to figure out which Split-King adjustable base to get. I would like to keep it under $2000, with the best possible reliability, smooth and quiet operation, and frustration free control. I like the idea of the wallhugger feature too. Looking at Reverie, Leggett and Platt, and Rize so far.

Hi dlbzone. It’s good that you were able to try a few of mattresses out to help you make a more informed decision. However, please keep in mind that even if you lay on a mattress for hours in a showroom, you still won’t know if it’s right for you until you sleep on it and allow your body time to adjust. Based on the different configurations you tried and your feedback on them, I agree that you may find the combination of Firm (or XFirm) Dunlop – Firm Dunlop – Medium Talalay to be the perfect place to start. The medium Talalay will offer the plusher feel you are looking for.

All the adjustable base company’s you are looking at are all very reputable and offer quality products. I would call retailers that carry them to see what their pricing is for the upcoming 4th of July Sale. When comparing prices also be sure to ask if White Glove Delivery and set up is included if that is important to you.

Please keep us updated and let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Hi LMF,

I am back from vacation and looking to make purchase this weekend.

I am confused by your website. I can’t figure out how to customize a mattress for purchase online. Is this an option? Do I need to call to customize?

I want a split king, so two Twin XL mattresses. 3 x 3" organic latex layers plus another inch of organic cotton/wool zippered cover. for 10" total.

I want one X-Firm dunlop + Firm dunlop + Medium Talalay. I am 70" and 290lbs.

I want one Firm dunlop + Medium dunlop + Soft Talalay. My wife is 65" and 150lbs.

I will likely pair with an adjustable base from Leggett and Platt, Reverie, Glideaway, or Rize.

Thanks!

Hello dlbzone,

You would build a custom mattress by using the Latex Topper tab and the Accessories tab, and those can be found at the top of our web page. Please note that we do not sell the cotton & wool cover by itself, but our sister company Sleep EZ does, and there are other companies that sell a cotton & wool cover by itself.

Thanks LMF, I am now looking at your sister company SleepEZ vs a few competitors for mattress.

I think I am going with Split King Glideaway Odessa adjustable bases with elevation kits and optional remotes.

Phoenix, thank you for this super valuable forum for sharing this collection of useful information, trusted experts, and consumer experiences to aid others in the mind bending process of purchasing a new mattress, base, and accessories.

Thanks to Latex Mattress Factory and your sister company Arizona Sleep EZ. I appreciate your responsiveness to my questions and feel that you earned the order I placed today with Jim at Sleep EZ for a new 10" Split King Select Sleep Organic Mattress, Protectors, Pillows, and Sheets. Through my research, it appears as if Sleep EZ offered the best value proposition (quality vs price) for my needs. I can’t wait to use the product and hopefully prove that I made a good decision. I will provide feedback in a few weeks.

I ordered a split king adjustable base from another online source. I will reply with more details after I receive, setup, and experience the product.

Thanks!

Hi DLBZone,

Thank you so much for the kind words, and thank you for the update as well! We’re glad we were able to help you make an informed decision, and I think you made an outstanding choice by going with Sleep EZ. If there’s anything else we can do for you please feel free to reach out to us through the Mattress Underground forum or feel free to call us at 1-800-637-0872.