Help before mind is lost - mattress for our needs Re-post

Hello Experts!

First off, thanks to those who keep this website alive. Choosing a mattress is so difficult, I think I am losing my mind figuring this out. I am not the richest guy in town, but I do want to spend as much as I can on getting the RIGHT mattress so I have saved up. I am looking for a mattress for myself and my partner. We are moving from a furnished to an unfurnished place soon and we want to buy a mattress once moved, since we cant take a mattress on a plane. This means we have a small window to test mattresses out, so I want to get as much of a good idea as possible of what we need BEFORE testing so we can make a quicker decision.

About us:
My budget: 2000 Canadian Dollars (will consider stretching if necessary).
I’m 5’9, 165lb, age 31 and she is 5’4, 155lb, age 25.
We’re both 90% side sleepers.
She gets hot easily when sleeping.
We’re both fidgety, so we move around a bit in the night too, in which we accidentally wake each other up most nights (this is big in our decision making).
She is a nurse (does 12 hour shifts), we both hit the gym around 2-3 times a week, though I wouldn’t call ourselves “athletic”.
We would prefer something on the firmer side but for side sleepers, so finding that balance may be tough. So…

What I THINK we should aim for:
Size: King or Super King?
Firmness level: 4
Top layer: 2-3" Talalay Latex (ILD 9-20)
Support layer: Dunlop Latex (ILD 28-35)

From what I understand, it is better to go to local independent suppliers for getting the best value for YOUR needs. Only most of these sell the foam itself and not an actual mattress as such. I could give some DIY a try but wouldn’t say im confident. I am also not sure what brands are good either so…

My questions:

1. While I’m fairly confident that Talalay as a top layer will fit our needs, the layer/s under it I am not. Any suggestions there?
  2. Is it better to look at local independent places OR a sale (black friday etc.) with some of the bigger brands? E.g Purple, Simba, Temper
  3. Most obvious question is are my aims a good match to suit our variables?

I will keep looking at posts on here (seems to be mostly solved by phoenix haha but pls notice me senpai) in order to figure this out the best I can before testing

3" of soft talalay over 6" of 28-32 dunlop should be a solid choice based on your info. We sell that combo all the time but unfortunately we no longer offer shipping to Canada.

Hi Daudi,

Arizona Premium is an expert in the DIY field so their opinion is more masterful than anything I can offer :slight_smile:

1. While I’m fairly confident that Talalay as a top layer will fit our needs, the layer/s under it I am not. Any suggestions there?
  • You could choose innersprings for a “hybrid” feel between traditional and latex. Some people say the innerspring feel provides a firmer sleeping experience.
  1. Is it better to look at local independent places OR a sale (black friday etc.) with some of the bigger brands? E.g Purple, Simba, Temper
  • We tend to recommend avoiding the big brands where possible. They tend to choose the cheapest, least durable materials to be able to market to a mass audience for the highest profit margin. That’s not to say every bed under a big brand is “bad” per say, but for personalization and durability, we do recommend something local/independent where possible.

NikkiTMU

Thank you for that affirmation there, really appreciate it as this has been a headache to figure out. Are there any brands that sell the talalay and dunlop combo in mattresses in Canada that you know of?

Innersprings gotcha, I haven’t looked into springs yet but if my memory serves me correctly, its best to go with pocket springs and as many as possible? I imagine this is especially so for us as we wake each other up from movement

Appreciate the advice on brands too, I will stay vigilant!

Not sure about Canada, might try SavvyRest or Naturesrest.