Help Deciding on A Mattress before the end of this weekend

I am looking for help choosing a king size mattress. I am a 38 years old, 5’9", and weigh about 165 pounds with an average build. My wife is 35 years old, 5’8", and weighs about 140 pounds and has broad shoulders. I sleep about 60-65% on my side, 25-30% on my back, and occasionally end up on my stomach. My wife primarily sleeps on her side (70%) with the remaining time on her back. Historically, she slept on her stomach until she started having back issues. My wife prefers a softer, conforming comfort layer (much like memory foam) and requires good pressure relief as she sometimes wakes up with lower back and shoulder pain. She often tosses and turns at night and has lower back problems stemming from a weak core as well as shoulder problems. I prefer a medium soft mattress and sometimes snore, but I honestly can sleep on almost anything.

A few years ago, we went through several different mattresses including the following:

Since discovering this forum in my most recent mattress shopping sting, I am considering the following types of mattresses:

• All latex mattress: Thinking soft Talalay for comfort later, medium Dunlop for first support layer and firm Dunlop for the last layer. Another option would be to do all Dunlop (soft, medium, firm) and then add a Talalay or memory foam topper. I am worried that my wife will find this too firm. Will a soft Talalay comfort layer come close to mimicking the contouring?
  • A latex hybrid mattress: Will a latex hybrid be as durable as a pure hybrid? Are the only real advantages of a hybrid are that it feels more like a traditional mattress and it is slightly cheaper than an all latex?
  • Memory Foam: This feels like the safest options but not the best. My wife like the contouring feel of memory foam. Will this be a better option for my wife? Could I just add a memory foam topper to a latex mattress and get the best of both worlds?

We have a ZINUS SmartBase Heavy Duty Mattress Foundation / 18 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame. Is this sufficient to support these mattresses? If not, could I add a bunkie board to add extra support?

I have been stuck in research mode for too long and have been indecisive. My wife has given me a deadline of this weekend to order a mattress. I am leaning toward a latex mattress from one of TMU partners. Would it be crazy to order a latex mattress before even lying on one because we won’t be able to make it to a mattress store by the end of the week. What advice would you give me?

Good Afternoon Rdm,

In reading your post you sound like one of our customers! Most of the people who end up purchasing from us, have done a ton of research, often the engineers and the real thinkers out there, some call it over thinking, we like to think of it as doing your homework!

I think your on the right track, in going with latex for your next mattress. In my opinion its the most durable material used in beds today, and has a wide range of firmness options. If you purchase from someone who has a money back guarantee Your only risking the cost in shipping to and fro. With us, its $99 to you, and $99 back to us, should it not work out in the first 100 nights.
Based on your stats, and sleeping positions mentioned i would recommend our vZone sleep system. With the following setup:

The best thing about purchasing a sleep system like this is, nothing is set in stone. Everyone is built differently, your mattress should be too! If you decide your hips are sinking too much, or too little, just let us know. In the first 100 nights if you need it softer or firmer, anywhere from head to toe, we’ll ship it to you free of charge. This allows you to adjust to your new bed, listen to your body, and micro tune the vZone layer.
Whether you buy a bed from us or someone else, go with latex! You will not regret it :wink:
We have a 20% off Valentines day sale going on right now, and dont forget to add the coupon code: TMU for even more savings

Thank you,

Dewey

You can’t beat a full latex mattress for both support and contouring to pressure points. You and I have almost the same proportions and I am mostly a side sleeper myself. I find that a Medium Talalay core along with 3" of Soft Talalay works extremely well for those similar to me. We call this our Goldilocks configuration. One thing that Talalay latex will do that memory foam will not is provide support in the mid section. Our motto is “Why Sink When You Can Float”. Long term use of memory foam will eventually lead to back problems because of the lack of support.

You are correct about latex hybrids, it’s a more familiar feel and less expensive. In our showroom we have tons of customers who come in ready to buy a hybrid but after laying on them side by side with full latex ultimately choose the full latex because it’s just more comfortable. Durability is not an issue with either and latex will outlast memory foam hands down. I think my suggestion would work great for both of you. Dunlop works well for heavier people.

1 Like