Help finding a hybrid latex mattress option?

Firstly, apologies for the long post. I have read similar posts on this forum but due to a unique scenario I was hoping to get some more input.

After spending most of the day trialing mattresses at local businesses, I think I have narrowed down my preferences. I tried 6 latex hybrid mattresses today (favorite one had 8" pocket coils on bottom, 2" latex, 2" foam) at local stores and found the hybrids incredibly comfortable. Unfortunately, both factories use fiberglass as their fire barrier. Bummer.

For reference, I am 5’4", 130lb, back/side sleeper with a budget around $1300.

One of the fiberglass-free hybrids I tried was a Harvest Green mattress which had 1" of dunlop at the bottom, 8" of coils, topped with 2" of dunlop and it was AWFUL. I placed a medium-ish 3" talalay topper (owner said “probably 20-30ILD”) on it and it wasn’t the worst but definitely still too firm. That made me wonder if the @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 Luxerion mattress (the price!) might end up being too firm for me, even with a talalay or foam topper on it. I was eyeing their sister company SleepEZ’s hybrids but found it unnecessary to have a dual-sided mattress.

Additionally, at another store I tried a few 7" talalay mattresses (32-36 ILD was relatively ok) which honestly didn’t feel bad, though I did want a little bit more plushness on top of it. This made me wonder something: there is a someone local to me selling a one-month-old used 9" Plushbeds Botanical Bliss mattress (6" dunlop core, 2" talalay comfort layer, 1" cotton cover) in medium for $500. Since I am trying to stay under $1300, would this end up being worth it to try and play around with it? The ability to add an additional latex top or a foam top to change the feel of the mattress seems great to me. I understand I would be forgoing the warranty on this mattress, as well as the fact that it isn’t a hybrid, but for the price it’s hard for me to pass up.

If not, what would be a good hybrid latex option in my budget? There are no local options that I can find without fiberglass (I scoured the forums for my area and went to all of them today). For online options, @Luma_Sleep looks great, but it’s a little over my budget. The Dreamfoam Latex by Brooklyn Bedding doesn’t seem bad either (especially for sub $900 for a queen), but I’ve heard they’ve shipped out dozens of incorrect mattresses featuring a foam core instead of coil core. A hybrid by Arizona Premium Mattress could potentially also work, but biting the shipping costs both ways if I end up disliking it scares me (I totally understand why they do it though). I’m stuck in analysis paralysis!

I know this was a lot of info, so if anyone has any input at all it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I have also found a Luma Original in Medium near me for $475. This puts another player in the game, LOL.

Well, I think I’ve narrowed it down to trying out the Luma and putting a Cozypure topper on it. However, I’m still looking for a mattress with 8" coils and 3" medium talalay on top if anyone knows where to find one for $1300 or below!

Hi,
Why not build your own? You can then replace items/layers as needed when the foam topper layers break down as they surely will if you go that route. I contemplated building my own for a couple years and I’m so happy that I did. You can read my DIY build story at https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/feedback-on-first-diy-build/34745/8.

Of course you would need to adjust for your much lower weight and also the softness desired.

Hi istarreh.

My immediate thought was the mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress. Specifically this bed which comes in at $1250.

The price on that Luma you found is pretty incredible, though.

Is the reason you’d be putting a topper on the Luma because you feel it will be too firm otherwise?

Dave’s recommendation for a DIY is also an interesting path worth considering. A DIY would ensure you get exactly what you want, but does require a little more work and testing to get it just right, of course.

NikkiTMU

Hello DaveStan,

Thank you for your reply. The reason I didn’t want to do DIY is because I wanted to make sure there was a warranty on it (though I was considering an exception with the Luma). I was also advised by some kind Redditors that DIY might be more time and money invested to make sure it’s exactly what I need (but I don’t particularly have the time nor the funds to play around).

Star

Hello NikkiTMU,

Thank you for your reply. I figure that no matter what mattress I get, I would like it to be firmer than I prefer just because I have read that firmer mattresses tend to last a little bit longer than softer mattresses. Moreover, I tend to like the feeling of something like a plush/pillow/eurotop and I felt the closest way to getting that would be to get a quilted topper and lay that onto a medium mattress.

I actually have been debating just going for the APM EcoSleep mattress and putting a topper on it. The price is incredible and I have heard nothing but good things about Ken. I also appreciate the fact that there is warranty on it.

DIY is definitely daunting to me. I’m unsure if I would want to go with it at this stage in my life.

Star