Help on memory foam

Hi
i am intersted in buying a memory foam mattress in canada at sleepcountry.I saw a model but can’t seem to find it any reviews or any information about it online
can someone help me and tell me what do you think about the mattess .It costs around 2 250 dollars in canada which is pretty expensive and i want to be sure that the memory foam is good

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: dormezvous.com/products/tabid/131/products/570/mattresses/sealy-optimum-gold-valentino/language/default.aspx

thank you again

Hi Karim71,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m guessing you haven’t read yet the Mattress Shopping Tutorial on the site, as if you did you’d already have learned there is little point to going into Sleep Country because these are the types of stores that I generally suggest avoiding for many reasons including that they don’t sell good quality/value mattresses (see the guidelines here ).

Unfortunately, the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors, and these will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with most of the retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here ).

However, if you can find out the thickness and density of all the layers and components in that mattress (which is unlikely to be provided to Sleep Country by Sealy) and post them on the forum I’d be happy let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern. While I don’t have access to the completed specifications of this particular mattress, Sealy tends to use 1.5 lb density polyfoam for the base core in the Optimum line, which would be below the 1.8 lb minimum I recommend as a baseline, and certainly lower in density than what you would expect in this price range.

Regarding using online “reviews”, I would tend to avoid them as a reliable means of analyzing a product. While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

If you decide you want to look online, you can use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices, and there are some who specialize in memory foam and have brick and mortar stores in Canada and ship in Canada. I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. There is also a list of other online mattress sources for Canadians in post #21 here .

If you’re interested in shopping locally, you can let me know your town and I can see if I have a listing for some of the better retail options in your area.

Phoenix

the problem is that i have a store credit from this store so i am forced to shop there.The problem is that there is sealy radiance and inspiron but it does not look like the same mattress as the one i saw at sleep country.What i know is that it has 2" gel memory foam w/ Outlast,2" gel memory foam and 7" gel support foam.By comparing it to us website the specs are quite the same as Sealy Radiance Gold. (but doesnt look like in the photo).If i look at the radiance gold it has 11" thickness.

Thank you

Hi Karim71,

If your credit is good at Sleep Country, I’m confused as to why you’re looking at mattresses elsewhere, even for comparison. I would suggest that you simply visit Sleep Country and look at the products there. I see they have the Gold Serene and the Gold Valentino in the Optimum line, so I would visit the store and try each one out and see which one you liked the most, because as you stated your credit is with them so you’re “stuck” dealing with the inventory offered by that retailer.

Again, what you’re able to find on a US web site, like Jordan’s, is immaterial to what you’re able to choose with your credit, so I don’t know why it would be important to compare. Even if they offered the same beds, the specifications would be less than the minimums I would recommend, but since you have no choice but to shop at Sleep Country, those would be your only two options so I would choose based upon comfort, as the specifications of the two models would likely be quite close to each other as far as the quality of the foams.

If you’re looking for better quality memory foam, you may wish to look at the Tempurpedic models they offer. The only problem here is that they will be in a much higher price range, and while I wouldn’t normally tell someone to consider this, because of your unique situation you may wish to look at some of those items.

I hope that helps.

Phoenix

sleep country offers tempur pedic but they are 1000 dollars more expensive is it worth it ? or i stick with the optimum?

Hi Karim71,

From my previous reply:
If you’re looking for better quality memory foam, you may wish to look at the Tempurpedic models they offer. The only problem here is that they will be in a much higher price range, and while I wouldn’t normally tell someone to consider this, because of your unique situation you may wish to look at some of those items.

You can read more about Tempurpedic in general in posts #1 and #2 here. It would use higher quality materials than the Optimum.

Phoenix

Hi
Did some research and i found this for the optimum that i saw at sleepcountry

Sealy Optimum Gold 2" 4.0 lb Gel MF
2" 4.0 lb Gel MF 7" Gel Core

What to do you think ? is it good?

thank you again

Hi Karim71,

The memory foam is the minimum density I would recommend, but you don’t have the density of the polyfoam core, which is normally 1.5 lb with this line, which is lower than the 1.8 lb minimum in the durability guidelines.

Phoenix