Help w/ DIY Build for 300lb+ Side Sleeper

I would like advice on a DIY build.
About: 320lbs, side sleeper, have hip and shoulder pain, previous back injury, sleep hot
Preference: Medium-firm; like to sleep more on top of mattress and not sink in

Sub-coil support: 1 in HD poly foam (not sure which ILD or if this is needed)
Base: Quantum Edge Elit Bolsa 8 pocket coils
Transition Layer: 2 in (Latex or foam?; Which thickness for either?)
Comfort Layer: 2/3 in (Latex or foam?; Which thickness for either?)
Cover: Stretchy unquilted

What are you currently sleeping on? DO you have wide shoulders? Health issues? Been DIYing for a few months now. Alot of experimentation and it’s interesting but alot of work. Im thinking about the texas quad coil 15.5 gauge 8". Doesnt require scrim paper which im interested in. I think that coil is compare-able to the Bolsa. According to APM. Not that you need to buy the quad coil. Can I ask why you chose the Bolsa? Im currently using a 3" soft dunlop + 2" 4lbs memory foam on top of an older posterpedic inner spring (6"). Which id really like to swap for a pocket coil. I do like the dunlop. ANyway I cant really make suggestions though Id be interested in what the experts say here. Ill check back.

Following! I’m 5’11" @ 280 with broad shoulders. I just started my DIY yesterday. I’m repurposing my 8" pocket coils from my Winkbed, leaving the 1" poly that is glued to the coils, ordered a medium 3"SoL talalay transition/comfort layer and a 2" gel memory foam comfort layer for just in case the talalay is too firm. I’ll keep ya posted this time next week once everything arrives and I’ve had a few nights to try it out!

@Nate206 Most currently used an all memory foam. It was too soft and I kept sinking into the mattress which caused hip and shoulder pain. I sleep pretty rough, lol. Mainly side, but sometimes back and stomach.

I have wide shoulders. I have HBP + the excess weight.

I have not tried DIY build yet so wanted some advice before I begin purchasing toppers as it has been highly recommended since my weight shifts a great deal; between 230 and 330 every few years. I only bought the base so far.

I chose Bolsa after personal research on coils best for side sleepers.

@Gonefishin Thanks for that info. That is what I originally was thinking of building: 2 in dunlop or talalay and 2 inch gel memory foam. Wanted more info on which is better all latex toppers or a combo of latex and memory foam. I want to sleep more on top of the mattress and not sink in due to the shoulder and hip pain that I get from sinking more into a mattress. I await to hear what your outcome with your build.

What coils does that bed use? SoL talalay? Dont they just sell Dunlop?
Yeah I also have a 3" soft from SoL and a 2" memory foam 4 LBS density. I like the higher density much better. Even in comparison to a 3lbs density or the cheap low density stuff. I have alot of foam layin around. I think 2 inch is better than 3 I find I sink a bit too much into 3". It is just a topper. I am ~220 pounds 6’0". Def wide shoulders. I do calisthenics for years. I dont have BB shoulders but prob bigger than average. My bed has really been affecting the pullups I do.

The support layer is an old posturpedic firm 6" Offset coil I think they call it or like a Karr coil. It’s not pocket coil and it’s a bit too firm for me. I like the texas quad as you dont need skrim paper apparently which can affect the feel of the bed.

SO you have the Bolsa coils? Have you tried laying on them? How do they feel? I can sleep rough too and ive tried alot. Current is months of trial and error and research. Im convinced its the coils as they are not pocket and they dont do body contouring very well. My hips sink in more and the middle coils kind of pull the coil surface down since they are all tied together making the rest of the surface firmer. That’s my theory anyway.

Not sure on the exact specs on the coils. Their website gives you the impression that they are 8" zoned. They definitely have edge support, but when i called yesterday, the guy either didn’t know the specs or didn’t want to give me the info. If these coils don’t work out, I’ll be ordering the TPS quad coils for sure. You also have me second guessing the latex now. It has the holes made into it like talalay, but no where does it say talalay. Now i need to go back down yet another rabbit hole!:sweat_smile:

Yeah they only sell dunlop I think. Im pretty sure all latex has holes. That’s part of the manufacturing process. I bought a soft 3" from them. Best return policy ive found for latex. 100% dunlop. I liked the feel of it. IDK if putting that on the 15 quad coil will be too soft but anyway.

Yeah as for the quad coils im torn between the 14 and 15 at this point. Ill prob try the 15.

At your weight you would need 2" of Firm Dunlop for transition and 3" of Firm Talalay for the top which will give you better air flow than dunlop will and feel a little softer as well.

3 nights in and I couldn’t be happier! It almost felt too easy…I guess I got lucky choosing the right setup the first time! I went with those 8" coils out of my winkbed and the 3" medium SoL on top of that. I did leave the original 1" layers of poly on each side of the coils and the original cover bottom for now for support. The wife and I both decided that we don’t need the memory foam layer, so I’ll be sending it back. The bed sleeps supportive and firm, yet cushions the shoulders and hips just right! We’ve both been waking up with less and less pain every morning. Our last step will be to decide on a cover for the assembly. I almost feel that a quilted top may make it too firm, so I’ll be looking for softer options like cotton