Help wanted in Silicon Valley

Hi, I’m searching for a new bed and I am considering Sealy Optimum Radiance and Nest Bedding Quail. Are there any other options where I can test out the beds (zip 95054)? Any comments on the Nest Bedding Quail? Note that previous literature indicated the use of coils, but I think the Quail has switched over to a foam core. thx!

Hi thwill,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

As you will see in some of the links in the tutorial post … I would tend to avoid major brands such as Sealy. There is more information about the Optimum line in post #48 here.

The construction of the Quail at Nest Bedding is on their site and it uses good quality materials from top to bottom (you have a choice of either synthetic latex or 100% natural latex in all the layers in a wool quilted cover). You can see my thoughts about Joe and Nest Bedding as well as the other options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Jose area in post #2 here.

The two mattresses you are considering would be very much an apples to oranges comparison because one is memory foam (the Optimum Radiance) and one is latex which are very different materials and not really comparable (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the reply and the links to the various posts. I know I’ve selected very different beds as my options. The decision came down to price, feel, and service/support. I wish there were more options, but these were the only beds I’ve found so far where I didn’t feel lower back tension after lying on them for 5-10 min. Even the bed-in-box beds that I tried at Nestbedding were not comfortable. :frowning:

I’ve read that latex beds eventually develop deformations that conform to the sleeper’s body. What is the approximate time for that to become noticeable?

thanks

thewill

Hi thewill,

All soft materials will form some impressions to some degree over time but latex is less likely to soften and form significant impressions than other types of foam.

There isn’t a way to assign a number of years to the life of a mattress because there are so many variables involved not the least of which is the person themselves but post #4 here and the posts it links to will give you a good idea of the factors that are involved in the relative durability and useful life of a mattress.

Both 100% natural Dunlop and blended Talalay have a long history of lasting decades in some cases … particularly with firmer versions (see the video here for an example) and latex is one of the few materials that you can reasonably expect to maintain its comfort and support for the length of a warranty period and often beyond.

Phoenix