Hi I REALLY need some help to find the correct bed for my back problem

Hi,

I am 24 years old , not overweight (220 pounds), I always slept in a bed which appeared too short for me (Im 6’'3). I recently decided it was time to move on from this cheapass bed. I have a scoliosys (which means my spine does an ‘‘S’’) and my neck is always painfull, I need something either firm or medium firm. I haven’t ruled out the possibility from buying online but Im not sure yet whether I need a memory foam type of bed or innerspring? I sleep alone ( mostly ) and I dont really care about the ‘’ partner isolation ‘’ thingy.
I dont know if I should try the bed from Novosbed.com (free shipping and the 2 free pillows kinda scam). The problem with Novosbed is that they have so many ‘‘good’’ reviews on the web thats its almost 2 good to be true =( . There isn’t a bed that would accommodate everyone.

I recently tried a couple of stores in Montreal and I went to Dormez Vous ( sleep country ) and the saleswoman was very pushy, mostly told me that a certain Kingsdown bed would do miracles for me. When I asked her what the specs of the memory foam was and the density, she came up short stating that they only sell the best of the best and the usual thing most salesperson would do. Anyways, it turned me off completly from that store… I mean how can you label something as ‘‘the best of the best’’ when you dont even know the specifications, Its like selling common books to blind people and ask them which one they liked the most.

Anyways im considering buying my bed from novosbed since they state all their specifications but then again , there are so many bogus reviews that Im wondering if they hide something :S …

I would like Phoenix to respond to this post ( I actually read most of your recent posts and I couldn’t find anyone with more professionalism and enthusiasm about mattresses in general, a real passionate!!)

Hi nicca1515,

The first place I would start is post #1 here which has the basic information steps and guidelines you will need to make the best and most suitable choices for your unique needs and preferences. It will also help you avoid the worst ones such as the chain stores which sell mostly major brands (like Kingsdown) where as you mentioned the information you need about the materials in the mattress to make informed choices are not available to consumers. When a retailer tells you something is “good quality” and can’t tell you the specific quality of the materials in the mattress then it’s just empty words meant to “sell you” instead of “educate you”.

You are fortunate to live in Montreal because there are some very good local factory direct manufacturers there that make some good quality and value mattresses and are knowledgeable and transparent about what they make. You will find the ones I’m aware of in post #276 here.

The choice between different types of materials and components is a personal preference not a “better worse” choice but each type of material has better and worse quality versions so I would make sure you focus on the best quality available in your budget range regardless of the type of materials or combinations you prefer.

I have talked with Sam who is one of the owners of Novosbed and found him to be knowledgeable and open about their mattresses and they are among the better online values as well but I would always start by testing mattresses locally so you can gain some experience into the types of materials and mattress designs that work best for you and that you prefer … regardless of whether you end up buying locally or online. This would be especially important when you have specific health conditions that may put you outside of the “normal range” in terms of the type of mattress that is most suitable for you and where your own personal testing done carefully and as objectively as possible may be one of the most important parts of a mattress purchase.

Phoenix