High-end soft memory foam mattress help: seeking better-value alternatives

I’m buying a mattress with my wife. We weigh 175lbs and 120lbs. We are seeking a medium-soft mattress, memory foam, ideally cooling, that is very durable. We can spend up to C$3,000 but would prefer to go much lower if we can still get adequate quality.

The consensus seems to be that Serta and Sealy mattresses are generally way overpriced and many argue that you should avoid the online box brands too. Apparently they are not durable and build / material quality is lacking for the price. Not sure what that leaves us with in terms of options locally (Montreal, Canada).

We went to a Dormez-Vous store and tried a bunch of mattresses from Sealy, Serta, Casper, Purple and Tempur-Pedic. The best one for us was the Serta iComfort TempActiv III (we actually loved it and I fell asleep on it in-store) and a close second was the Sealy Posturpedic Optimum Chill Trio Vivid. They were priced near our price limit with taxes.

What are some great soft memory foam mattresses that are durable?

Any help much appreciated. Thanky you.

Hi mattressdude123,

As far as other brands go, while I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences).

Here’s is a great article on the pros and cons of Memory Foam and this one on Mattress specifications you need to know with this information you should be able to make the right choice for your needs.

Please let us know which model you ended up buying and how you like it.

All the best
Mario