Hot sleeper seeking bedding advice

Hello,

I’m a hot sleeper despite the fact that I run at AC at 60 degrees all night, and only wear my briefs to bed. I decided I would look into a different material for my sheets and I purchased a percale bedding set from parachute. Unfortunately I’m still experiencing issues, and I think they are due to my duvet insert {Amazon.com). I’m wondering if anyone could provide any duvet insert or material recommendations for me.

Thank you for reading.

Hi ineptitude,

While it’s not my area of expertise … some of the information in post #3 here and the additional articles, posts, and topics it links to should be helpful.

If you tend to sleep hot I would avoid polyester or “down alternative” comforters which can trap moisture and heat and tend to sleep warmer than more natural fibers such as down or wool or silk.

For hot sleepers I would suggest either wool or silk with a lighter fill and less loft.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=64895]Hi ineptitude,

While it’s not my area of expertise … some of the information in post #3 here and the additional articles, posts, and topics it links to should be helpful.

If you tend to sleep hot I would avoid polyester or “down alternative” comforters which can trap moisture and heat and tend to sleep warmer than more natural fibers such as down or wool or silk.

For hot sleepers I would suggest either wool or silk with a lighter fill and less loft.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thank you very much, Phoenix! You’re a saint.

FWIW I too am a hot sleeper. I have the 100% cotton garment dyed percale sheets from Restoration Hardware and LOVE them. I have a post here from a few days ago about sleeping hot and looking for a mattress next year in which I learned from Phoenix about flax linen. I have a latex pillow that is hot (for me) and literally, as of yesterday, got a 100% flax linen pillowcase also from Restoration Hardware. I could tell a difference - it was slightly cooler than my all cotton pillowcases. I’ll take several more nights to determine if the linen is really cool and comfortable enough to be worth the extra price (i.e. before I get matching sheets) but it is a promising start.

Given I’m in Central VA with the recent temps in the upper 90’s and humidity resulting in heat index of 109 give or take a degree, my A/C can’t hope to keep up. At night I’m lucky if we get down to 69 degree by 3 in the morning. Been lots of fun but I’m very grateful to HAVE a working A/C, so I can’t complain too much!

EDIT: Meant to add, I have a lightweight 100% cotton quilt that, if I get chilly-ish at night (usually just my legs) works well for me in the summer.