How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

These are definitely going to be high quality springs. Not sure of other places that will sell just a spring system by its lonesome.

Agree with you that many retailers writing off all ‘soft’ mattresses as bad is a big mistake. You can go pretty soft, provided the materials are highly elastic it should be no problem for most people.

from my novice understanding, the coil units sold by mattressess.net would indeed be of good quality. i just don’t have any idea where they line up in firmness compared to others. i don’t need a firm base to start off with.

I have found only one manufacturer that allows a buyer an option in coil firmness:

I would e-mail both companies to ask about total coil count and gauge of wire as those are the best approximations of how well a coil system will conform.

I do also recommend looking into Berkeley Ergonomics product, they have access to some very comfortable european make pocket spring mattresses, they tend to have much higher spring counts than is typical and available in a little thinner steel as an option. Pricing is very reasonable for the quality of components.

This whole mattress buying process has made my head spin. We have a Posturepedic Gel Series featuring OptiCool - Also known as a SouthPark firm that we purchased back in 2012. I spent my college years in a bed with no air conditioning and never slept hot. My wife is a furnace and I never experienced hot nights until she came along. We purchased this mattress thinking it would help, but that cool feeling only lasts a couple minutes. Doesn’t help that the membrane mattress protector that we bought with the mattress prevents any any flow. My answer has been finding a pillow that will keep my head cool, 100% cotton blanket and a fan blowing directly on me. My wife on the other hand doesn’t feel any of that heat and is constantly cold. I’m a side sleeper and have known almost since I bought that old mattress that I need something soft or medium. I suffer from pelvic tilt that creates functional scoliosis in my upper back. The side sleeping mixed with the firm mattress definitely doesn’t help.

Fast forward to now and we have started shopping for a new king size to replace that queen Posturepedic. I was 100% sure I was going to get a Leesa from all the youtube videos I watched until I found /r/mattress on Reddit which pretty much told me that just about all of the bed-in-a-box companies are worthless on quality. From there I was sent here and have just been overwhelmed by information. I went through the mattress guide and kept going from post to post to post. From information I gathered, I thought I would give the beautyrest a shot (US Mattress) and headed over to mattress firm to test out a few. When it came to the beautyrest, the only one we liked was a Black Pillow Top for like $4-5k and I’m afraid of the durability of a pillow top. I really wanted to try a latex, but of course they don’t carry one.

I was looking at either the Ultimate Hybrid - Pocket Coil from Arizona Mattress Company or possibly the Flexus Quadra-Flex, but still need to try out a latex before we make such a decision. We found a local company called Mattress Innovations that supposedly makes their own mattresses, but don’t list any specifications on their mattresses. They do carry latex, so at least we can try that out this weekend.

From there is the mattress protector. I was peaking at the Protect-A-Bed therm-a-sleep cool protector, but of course all of their reviews are fake (All posted at the same time). I find those membrane protectors really work for keeping bodily fluids free from the mattress and don’t want to sacrifice that, but I’m afraid I will be stuck laying on a heat magnet again.

We use both LINENSPA Ultra Soft Luxury 100% Rayon and Brielle 100-Percent Rayon sheets, which are super duper soft and have excellent breath-ability. The only problem is that my wives’ body oil stains the material and I find it is really hard to clean. You can see exactly where she lays on both the pillow and fitted sheet. Thinking of trying Tencel next time, although from the posts here I have gathered that the main difference is the manufacturing process.

Finding the right pillow just seems like a lost cause. We started with the Malouf Zoned talalay and found my head went straight through to the mattress. I’ve learned that I can get headaches from laying on the wrong type of pillow. I went to the Iso-Cool Gusseted Memory Foam Pillow, which stayed really cool and was really comfortable, but from my sleeping style I tend to lay on the edge of a pillow and found it to be REALLY hard on the edges. Next was the Talatech 230 Thread Count Latex Foam Medium Density pillow and the moment my head hit that pillow I felt my head go straight through to the mattress. Ugh, awful. Currently I’m using a bamboo shredded memory foam pillow and while I find it really comfortable, it tends to go flat pretty quickly.

Way too many things to think about. Mattress, protector, bedding, pillows. The whole PPP for the mattress, watching for quality, heat retention
so much.

Phoenix,

This website is great, and I’ve read several articles regarding top recommended vendors, mattress buying tutorial, personal value equation, etc. I’m hoping you can provide me some info per below questions.

I’m trying to decide final choice between Foam Sweet Foam, Plushbeds (Botanical bliss), SleepEZ (organic) and Sleeping Organic. I need any insight you can provide into any product differences, company differences, or just differentiators between these brands. They all look very similar to me, offer similar prices and products.

My fiancĂ© and I are looking for an all-latex king bed. I’m 6’4", 185 lbs, and I prefer soft to medium-soft bed, whereas my fiancĂ© is 5’8" 155lbs and she prefers very soft to soft bed. We are both about 30 years old. I want all natural latex (no synthetic), and I want at least the first layer to be Talalay with preferably more layers if recommended and within budget. I am given some value to certifications such as GOLS, GOTS, organic cotton, Oeko-Tek, and SleepEZ is the only company that looks to be brandishing all of these, but maybe I missed something on the others.

Lastly, if you could also provide your logical recommendation based on our preference and weight/height for the mattress configuration, I’d greatly appreciate it. We are looking at 3 or 4 layers, and I have seen you state that 4 layers isn’t really necessary for folks of average weight. I think that we could both sleep on all-solid layers though having at least one split layer does sound intriguing as it provides more opportunity to customize should we so choose. Do you think having a split layer would be noticeable in so far as if we are cuddling in middle of bed, would we notice a crease/gap?

Would you recommend trying to negotiate prices with any of these companies if I feel that 2 or 3 of them are tied in my value equation with only determining factor being price, or do you feel each company only honors their prices online subject to promo codes?

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Uncafeaulait

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I can certainly understand the sense of overwhelm with the many things you have to consider to ensure a good night sleep but the best suggestion I have is to work through it step by step and revisit the mattress shopping tutorial here which acts as a reference to help you find those that have the knowledge and experience to help you make an informed decision and gives you the basic information you need and will save you having to sort through all the many forum postings. Once you are armed with the basic information and tools you need 
 you have the ability to reach out to any of the Expert Members of our site who can help you make good choices that are suitable for your needs and preferences and are not only interested in selling you whatever they can but have your best interests at heart.

Unfortunately, in regards to your current mattress
. the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay, which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here ). And as you discovered, Mattress Innovations doesn’t offer any meaningful specifications on their website in order to make an educated analysis of any of their products. But there is a list with some other options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Dayton, OH area (subject to the quality/value guidelines) in post #5 here. The best way to go about your next purchase is to arm yourself with all the information and expert help you can get to make an informed decision.

It is always nice to upgrade from Queen to King for partners with temperature regulation issues as well 
 to have more space and also put some distance between you and the “furnace” when the heat is on. Temperature regulation issues have been extensively discussed on our forum but you can peruse post #2 here that discusses about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system and can help you choose the types of materials and components in your next mattress that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. In very general terms 
 the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.
Memory foam does a very good job at minimizing motions transfer, but (as you discovered) it will generally be the least breathable and most insulating of the foam comfort materials, so temperature can be an issue.

Both options you are considering are great quality/value choices from two of our Trusted Members of the site, and I certainly aggree with you that It would be well worth doing some local testing on a mattress that has latex in its uppermost comfort layer and experimenting with a few firmness options will help decide if you’d like a latex mattress.

You are wise 
 “mass reviewing” of any product would raise a red flag for me too and this would not be a factor that I’d base my decision. I’d also keep in mind that any layer placed between the mattress encasement and yourself will of course impact its feel and temperature you are experiencing while sleeping. You may wish to read through some of the popular types of mattress protector options as listed in post #89 here . There are some that use wool in their construction as well that may be of interest to you as well
, a washable wool mattress pad like the St. Dormier might be something to consider.

Unfortunately choosing a pillow is like choosing a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a pillow to make specific suggestions or recommendations for someone else. There is no single pillow that is “best” for any particular situation or “symptom” and it is good to remember that the main goal of a pillow is to keep your head and neck in good alignment in all your sleeping positions. Which pillow does this for any particular person or on any particular mattress will vary widely from person to person. In other words 
 a pillow that works well for one person with upper back, shoulder, or neck issues may not be suitable at all for someone else with similar issues.

Pillows are also a very personal choice and different people will have very different pillow preferences or different opinions about what they perceive as firm and soft or the general type of pillow that “feels” good to them but some of the information in the pillow topic here and the posts it links to can help you choose a pillow that is the best “match” for you and the mattress you are sleeping on.

I’d be interested to find the results of your testing and the progress you’ve made I search for a suitable mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks for all your help! We made it down to Ikea over the weekend and tried the different latex models there. Everything was ‘Medium-Firm’ or ‘Firm’ and I would say they all felt like a solid rock.

After that we headed down to Mattress Innovations and I have to say I really like everything about the place. They had this calming meditation music playing that was perfect for testing mattresses. One of the owners, Mike, could tell I had done my homework and was talking about the materials used in the production of their mattresses. He said they are the only family owned mattress store in Dayton that makes their own mattresses - which is sort of true but sort of false. He kept saying “We went down to X state with a couple other mattress companies and together we designed X mattress that X factory is willing to make”. Not really a false claim, but also not exactly true. Their full latex line was interesting in that even their firmest latex mattress was extremely soft - the exact opposite of Ikea.

We really liked their pocket coil and ‘latex’ mattress line, but I noticed an E marked on the side, which is clearly the Englander model. When I looked at the specification sheet, it said Pocketed Coil ENCASED in Latex with a poly-foam comfort layer. I was extremely surprised since while we were laying on it, he talked about how they don’t use that ‘cheap poly foam’ like those other companies and yet sold a mattress with a 1.5" poly foam comfort layer.

We did however, love the latex mattresses except for the lack of edge support - so putting latex with a pocket coil sounds perfect. I’m leaning toward the Flexus Quadra Flex, but am stumped on latex firmness. Based on the full latex mattresses at Mattress Innovations, we prefer a Medium - but based on Ikea we would need an extra extra plush.

Hi uncafeaulait.

Great to hear that Mattress Innovations treated you nicely and you’ve had the chance to test their beds and get a feel for latex 
 it’s always a good sign when the sales representative notices that you’ve done your homework. :slight_smile:

Given the many interdependent variables that can account for the differences in firmness, I wouldn’t just yet come to any conclusions about how a third mattress that you are considering may feel based on the two experiences you’ve had. The mattress design and thickness of each layer, the type of materials used, the comfort layer which in your case can be Dunlop or Talalay latex with its variations (natural, blended, and synthetic) which also come in different firmness ILDs (ILD measures the firmness, the higher the ILD the firmer the foam) all can influence the feel and comfort and different people may be experience them differently which will also affect how they “rate” a mattress in terms of firmness (see post #15 here) In other words there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and also different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. If two layers are a different type or blend of latex then ILD ratings may not be comparable between different layers. Dunlop which is most likely what you’ve tested at IKEA and Talalay latex in the same thickness and ILD won’t feel the same in terms of their firmness for most people because they have a different response curve and compression modulus (how quickly a material becomes firmer as you sink into it more deeply). Talalay in the same ILD as Dunlop feels softer and springier and is less dense (weighs less than Dunlop per cubic foot of material) because it has more air in it.) There is more about the difference between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

Because of all the varying descriptions of what soft and firm really is 
 it’s usually much more “accurate” and objective to talk in terms of the overall “feel” of a mattress (surface feel), and discriminate between the pressure relief of a mattress, and the support and alignment of a mattress. The most common definition of softness has to do with the pressure relieving qualities of a mattress. This comes from the upper layers of the mattress and how well they re-distribute weight away from any pressure points.

Generally, the only two ways to make effective initial choices for the design of a mattress that is the best match for you in terms of comfort/support are

1. Your own careful and objective testing
  2. Through a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer/retailer on the phone where you can provide them with more information that can help them use “averages” and your own past experiences as a way to help you make the best choice.
    Generally, I wouldn’t trust any “theory” at a distance as anything more than a general guideline that is subject to change based on your own unique preferences and circumstances that Flezus Comfort (one of our https://mattressunderground.com/the-underground/our-trusted-members.htmlTrusted Manufacturing Members here which means that I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry would have the knowledge and experience to help you find the most suitable option for your unique needs and preferences.

Englander is a licensing group which has different independent factories in different areas throughout the country that make their mattresses. They all make a very wide range of mattresses all the way from very low quality to very high quality and also in some areas they make a great deal of “house brands” for certain retailers.

Because latex is so durable and also point elastic (conforms to the shape of the weight on top of it without having a significant effect on the area beside it) and because of its high compression modulus (the rate at which a material gets firmer with deeper compression) 
 for most people it doesn’t normally require edge reinforcement for sleeping even for heavy people. This is particularly true if the support layers are firm enough for the person sleeping on the mattress. Because of its point elasticity though 
 those who sit on the very outside edge a lot (instead of sitting with your body weight more into the middle of the mattress) or who sleep with more concentrated weight on the outside few inches of their mattress may find themselves sinking down more than they like even though this isn’t normally an issue when sleeping on the mattress.

I hope this information helps you out in your decision.

Phoenix

I’m a newcomer to the site and hope that I’ve found an appropriate place to post.

I’m looking for a replacement for my 11-year-old Regina firm mattress. I am a side sleeper with a BMI of about 24 who suffers from hip bursitis. I have a dislike of the feel of Memory Foam. After doing a couple of hours of research on your invaluable site, I visited a few stores in that were identified as possibilities by Phoenix in a post of 2012. (I understand that you’re not providing these lists anymore.) I wanted to focus on getting information about the component layers of the mattresses they had. I hoped that I would find salespeople who would meet my limited knowledge half-way.

I found the experience mostly frustrating, as I felt that I was speaking a different language from the salespeople. It wasn’t possible to use mattress composition as an entry point into a conversation: instead, I wound up just lying on a bunch of “firm” mattresses in a pretty ignorant fashion and then asking for their composition. One store, which sells locally made mattresses (Sleepmaster), told me that specs of their mattresses weren’t available because they were trade secrets. I learned simply that the mattress that felt best to me had a layer of 2-sided HD foam over inner-spring coils. I received information about some Restonic inner-spring mattresses, but some of the terms used for the upper layers are proprietary names that are opaque to me. The mattress that felt best (Biltmore Ornate Firm) has three layers: Quilt (1/2" gel foam + 1" extra firm foam), Comfort (2" AlumiLast¼ Memory Foam + 1" extra firm support foam), and Support (Twin Support Q5 individually wrapped coils). I’m not sure what kind of foam is being used in all cases, let alone its quality. The salespeople were helping me to be the best of their ability, and I don’t know that I’m likely to get more information from them.

I’d like to make an informed decision about a new mattress, but so far I’m not feeling great about my prospects. Should I look for other retailers that might take a different approach to sales, even if it means that I need to drive a couple of hours from my home? Or should I pursue the possibilities that I’ve found so far? I would be grateful for advice. This site is an amazing resource.

Hi Doubleight!

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! Sorry to hear the discomfort you experience from your hip bursitis. That is definitely something to consider since comfort and pressure relief will be key for sleeping hours at a time on your side.

Yes, memory foam is not the best material when it comes to needing support and less sinking in. It is great that you’ve started your research quest to make an informed purchase decision and have visited retail stores. Although it can feel tedious, it sounds as though it has already helped you determine what you do or don’t like, and therefore will help to steer you in the right direction. While there are a lot of different options to try, I would first recommend to focus on your material preference. From there you would determine your comfort level (pressure relief, plushness, alignment, firmness, etc.), then you can get in contact with an expert to guide you. Calling the manufacturer, asking for their specs and recommendation after disclosing the positions you sleep, any health issues, and other personal sleeping preferences, would be your best bet for determining if it’s a good fit. I would recommend that if you don’t find anything locally that has good quality and value, or is maybe too high of a price point, you could find something similar with a similar feel from an online manufacturer that provides same if not better quality materials.

The specifications you listed are a good first step, however they cannot be meaningful unless you are able to know the quality of every layer and component (density, specs, etc). If a company does not disclose specs to you, then you have no way of knowing if your mattress will be durable or instead deemed unusable years down the road. Make sure you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern. If you can provide specifically what is inside the mattress you are considering, I would be happy to give my input.

Please keep in mind that due to the online explosion of mattresses in the last few years, most manufacturers have become more transparent and consumer centric by disclosing the specs and details about their products while simultaneously allowing refunds, exchanges, and other customer friendly terms. More and more consumers make good online purchases provided they do their research and understand their needs and preferences.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck. :slight_smile:

FSF Team

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/40660/128x84_fsf_logo.jpg

Dear FSM,

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and for confirming that I have so far been unable to get adequate information. I wonder if I could ask for a little more specific guidance.

You write:
“While there are a lot of different options to try, I would first recommend to focus on your material preference. From there you would determine your comfort level (pressure relief, plushness, alignment, firmness, etc.), then you can get in contact with an expert to guide you. Calling the manufacturer, asking for their specs and recommendation after disclosing the positions you sleep, any health issues, and other personal sleeping preferences, would be your best bet for determining if it’s a good fit. I would recommend that if you don’t find anything locally that has good quality and value, or is maybe too high of a price point, you could find something similar with a similar feel from an online manufacturer that provides same if not better quality materials.”

How do I determine my material preference if only a few options are available for me to test? Are there some showrooms in the US that I could visit that would have many options, even if it might require a long drive on my part?

You write:
“Please keep in mind that due to the online explosion of mattresses in the last few years, most manufacturers have become more transparent and consumer centric by disclosing the specs and details about their products while simultaneously allowing refunds, exchanges, and other customer friendly terms. More and more consumers make good online purchases provided they do their research and understand their needs and preferences.”

What I hear you saying is that I am going to experience more transparency if I place a phone call to a manufacturer. Is that correct? In your experience, is a manufacturer’s rep willing to give me the advice about what’s best for me that salespeople were unable to give? Do you have any tips for navigating the usual frustrations of a phone system? Is there a particular kind of person to ask for when I call an 800 number?

I understand that I won’t be able to get detailed advice from you until I get more information. What I’m still wondering is how I am really going to be able to get more information.

Thank you for any additional help you can give.

Hi Doubleight,

Let me dive right into your questions.

Starting with local stores as you have is great. Driving a little further could also be worth your while. I would search on google in your surrounding area and visit another location or two that carries a potential type of mattress you are considering. You can then use TMU by typing in a “key term” in the Forum Search in a city or area you live close to and see what businesses have previously been discussed in that area that could be helpful for your search. Once you have a business or a few you are considering, you can read this article to confirm that the retailer or manufacturer is transparent with their products and meets Post #13 quality/value guidelines here. Local testing will first help you get a clearer sense of different materials and layering and also determine your needs and preferences. This coupled with your sleeper stats as you previously mentioned regarding body type, sleeping style etc. will help to make a good purchase.

This is why TMU is a great resource since they not only provide so much knowledge and information, but they have their Trusted Members who are all highly ranked and valued. A lot of these companies have a reasonable exchange/return in place and allow the customer to rearrange layers according to comfort needs. Most of these online manufacturers are very good at what they do, helpful, and can be fairly accurate with their recommendation for you. The more specific and detailed the information you provide to them, the better they will be able to help you make the best possible choice from the options they have available. Hopefully you would easily be put in touch with the correct person to have a conversation and get their recommendation. Press “0” if you have some difficulty to get directly in contact to a representative or call again later. Once you get a rep on the line, make sure you get all your questions answered! I think all the Trusted Members on TMU should be very responsive and much more consumer friendly than a typical Bed in the Box.

Post #2 here has information about the different ways to buy a mattress (locally or online) that will be the best “match” for your preferences, body type and sleeping positions, and can help you to minimize the risks involved. You can also follow the steps outlined in the mattress shopping tutorial here. If a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP keep in mind that a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside. This article will help determine the quality and whether it has any weak links in terms of durability.

In conclusion, search for local retailers, compare those to this site, find a few to go out and test, inquire and learn about the quality of the materials inside, know your preferences and stats, use the articles listed above to learn about the quality/durability of the materials, browse the trusted members on this site, then use all of this information to have a more detailed Q&A with a retailer or online manufacturer. These steps will help to determine your preference and will also educate yourself regarding the different companies and products/options they offer. Layer exchange programs or a return policy may be an important part of your personal value equation should you choose to go with an online mattress.

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

FSF Team

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/40660/128x84_fsf_logo.jpg

In seeking a soft bed i have tried some memory foam toppers including Aerus. I really liked the feeling of Aerus, but find i overheat it and it gets too soft after a few hours. my experience with Tempur is that i loved the feel but it was way too hot. should i give up on memory foams for softness?

Also, can anyone tell me how to start a new thread? i have looked and looked and cannot figure it out. Thank you

Hello Archidan,

You can start a new thread from the main forum page at anytime you wish :slight_smile:

https://mattressunderground.com/mattress-forum.html

Greetings everyone!
I’m new here.
I was looking for a proper mattresses for my son’s bunk bed for a long time, so I was very happy when I found your mattress forum. What should I consider before buying one? My boy is 8 now and he’s already big, also, I’m certain that he will grow fast in next few years. Is there any way I could buy something that will last long enough? As far as I know, children need a more supportive sleep surfaces than adults. Or should I change mattresses every 1-2 years until he stop growing? What’s your opinion on Olee (mentioned here)?

I have so many questions and I would appreciate your answer, Phoenix.

Hi sleepy_jan

The first suggestion I would have is to start with the mattress shopping tutorial here and make sure to you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

You are correct that children need a sleeping surface that is more supportive due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation. As you seem to be looking for something using polyurethane and Memory foam, I’d want at least CertiPUR-US certification for each of the foams used in the mattress. You’ll tend to find your best price with traditional innerspring style mattresses for this particular application. Post #2 here includes links to most of the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children and includes some suggestions and guidelines and links to some good quality/value options as well.

The mattress you mentioned is a 10" mattress containing 5" of pocket coil support layer and 4.5 inches of various foams of unspecified densities, which usually is a sign that there are lower quality foams that will break over time and cannot serve as a base for further adjustments as the child grows. With any mattress, you are considering, but especially for children, I would also make sure that all the foams listed in the mattress have safety certifications. As an alternative, you could checkout NestBeding 7" Big Kid’s Bed mattress which is in your price range and uses good quality and safe foams. They are also one of the our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

While adults can do better with memory foam 
I am always hesitant to recommend this as a choice for children and Post #2 that I linked above has more about choosing materials that are “safe enough” for children. Children also do better with more freedom of movement than even more responsive memory foam can provide. Aslo 
 the microclimate of a memory foam mattress is not as breathable and temperature controlling as other more breathable materials and I believe that children need every advantage we can give them while they are sleeping, growing, and developing. Even with grownups, there are some guidelines that should be followed to make sure that you know what you are buying and that you can lessen the risk of buying memory foam in a very confused market that will supply you with lots of misinformation.

In general, for a growing child you won’t really need more than about 6" or so in thickness if you get a component style mattress when they grow older if they need some additional thickness or softness then you can either add another layer inside a new cover (if you have a zip cover) or add a topper to the mattress. One of the advantages of getting a multi-layered component style system mattress is that you can add or exchange layers as your child grows. If and when they need a softer comfort layer in their “sleeping system” you can also add a softer topper to any firmer children’s’ mattress when they get older and develop more adult proportions. If you desire something more “natural”, but want to keep the cost as low as possible, you could do something like this (SleepEZ, roma) or this (Arizona Pr) both trusted members of the site. There are of course other options out there, but I’m familiar with these. As the child moves from the preschooler/early childhood stage into teens it is usually recommended to adjust the sleeping surface towards the medium firm to medium (although growing children can adapt to almost anything) but you’d still want to keep it a bit “firmer”.

I hope this gives you a good place to start.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks for all your extensive work on this site. Can you please help me in understanding the better value between two innerspring mattresses? I’ve read through the guides on this menu but am having trouble deciphering what pros outweigh what cons.

The first option is the Flexus Comfort Posture Sense and the second is the Custom Mattress Makers Daytona. For me the major pros of the Posture Sense are that it’s double sided and has tri-zone coils. The pros of the Daytona are that the foam layers seem to be better quality (?) and there is an option to swap out the comfort layer with 1" of dunlop latex (ILD @25%: 21.5 - 24.5) for about $60 more, but not sure if I would actually notice a difference.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Hi lolabelittle.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum!:slight_smile:

I am not sure how important innerspring zoning is in your personal value equation but Daytona is an InEuroring/Poly Euro Top mattress which uses 8" 'Quantum-Edge Bolsa’s Leggett & Platt coils providing an even surface using 16 ga encased coils and 15 ga steal edge perimeter. Flexus’innerspring is 6" with 3 zones encased coils with 15 ga center third support and 15.5 ga coils an older unit from Leggett & Platt.

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/66/Seethe3zoneBodyPrint.pdf
Zoning systems can certainly be useful and well worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on careful testing or your own personal experience.

The 1" of- HR 2.8lbs foam used in Daytona above the spring is one of the newer generation extremely durable high-performance polyfoams which is also more immediate in its response and would be a quality and very durable material. Depending on the feel you are after it may be worth considering exchanging the 1" HR Poly for Dunlop. Only you can really answer how you feel about latex or any other material. Each person has different preferences and the choice between latex and polyfoam and different budgets is part of each person’s individual value equation. There are many different types of mattresses in every category including latex so its quite possible that there are some you like and some you don’t and each could have a different feel and performance. The upper layers of a mattress are the most important part of durability because they are the most subject to repeated compression and mechanical stress and for most people (but not all) 
 they contribute more to the overall “feel” of the mattress as well.

The price point would obviously be another part of your personal value equation and I don’t make specific recommendations because only you can decide on the “value” of a mattress purchase relative to the other mattresses you are considering. There is a bit more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hello, I’m the newest member of this lovely community. I’m getting married in a month. I’m looking for a matress that is perfect for a couple. I live in New Jersey by the way. :slight_smile:

Hi thaliadaniels.

Congratulations on getting married! Finding a perfect bed for a newlywed couple! 
 it a wonderful problem to have :lol:

The first thing I’d recommend before trying to find a “perfect” bed, in general, is to realize each person/couple is unique and a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person/couple or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on, I’d start with doing a bit of research to pinpoint what your needs and preferences are in terms of feel, materials and firmness/softness
. I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet 
 the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice 
 and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress 
 outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

You can perform a forum search and you can type a key term any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving such as New Jersey or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you.

I hope this gives you a good start and once you’ve had the chance to narrow things down a little further, feel free to post back with any specific questions and I or any of our Expert Members will be happy to assist you.

Phoenix