How to look for and find the best mattress ... for YOU! ***READ FIRST***

[color=black]Iā€™m looking to buy a Full XL sized mattress for my almost-3 year old that is good for her now but that she can grow into. There is, of course, a complication that I was hoping to get some assistance withā€¦

A few things to note before starting:

1. Iā€™m looking at latex mattresses. Mine and my husbandā€™s bed is latex and we love it, though Iā€™ve long ago lost the stats on it and the website/company we purchased from is now closed.
  2. No one locally in Shreveport, LA sells latex mattresses to my knowledge, so Iā€™m having to do this all based on theory.
  3. There arenā€™t many websites that sell Full XL sizes, but of the ones that do, there seem to be different ways to reference how hard or soft a piece of latex is (D## vs ILD)
  4. Natural and/or organic is important to me, so Iā€™m not looking for synthetic latex.

Soā€¦ the complication is that my sister will sleep in the same bed with my daughter when she comes to visit, and obviously theyā€™ll have different needs:

For my daughter, sheā€™s in the lower 10th weight percentile (so a small kid) at 25 lbs. Sheā€™ll be 3 in a month and a half. She tends to sleep on her side or back.

For my sisterā€¦ She is what Iā€™d consider average height and weight (5ā€™6" and 145-ish lbs), but she isnā€™t the curviest of women (her hips are pretty straight and she doesnā€™t have an overly large chest) and sheā€™s always had broad shoulders that arenā€™t necessarily obviously broad-looking, but are just broad enough to make it so that about half of the dresses or shirts sold on the market wonā€™t fit her because they arenā€™t made with enough room for her shoulders ā€“ hello! spaghetti straps (they are her friend). Additionally, she has scoliosis.

As a child and into adulthood she was a stomach sleeper, but in recent years, her chiropractor informed her that itā€™s the ā€œunhealthiestā€ way to sleep from the chiropractic standpoint, and so she has re-trained herself to sleep on her back, but finds this to still be a little uncomfortable. Therefore, she often finds herself ā€œcheatingā€ by side-sleeping.

In terms of preference, she prefers softer beds and says she canā€™t sleep in a hard bed. She absolutely hates the combo I tried to put together of an old traditional innerspring bed with the latex sofa bed cushion (no clue the hardness) on top that I stole from the sofa to try to soften the bed for her.

Iā€™ve been reading through a LOT of the posts here and the guides (and falling down the rabbit hole of links contained therein), and Iā€™ve got a proposal based on my sisterā€™s stats, but Iā€™d like to see what you (admins, etc) think of it:

Iā€™ve determined to create a mattress with one side for my daughter that is ā€œflippableā€ to something comfortable for when my sister comes to visit (or for my daughter to change things up as she ages). I will describe the mattress top to bottom with my daughter being the ā€œtopā€ portion and my sister being the ā€œbottomā€ portion.

Option 1 through DIY Natural Beddingā€¦

3" Med (D75) - Comfort for toddler
3" Hard (D90) - Core part 1
3" Firm (D80) - Core part 2
3" Med (D75) - Mid-support/comfort
3" Soft (D65) - Comfort for 32 yr old
All of this wrapped in 3 lb batt of wool (which compresses to 1/2 in) to protect latex and maybe help as a fire barrier
Cotton Knit ticking

Alternately buying just the latex from Latex Mattress Factory (LMF) or SleepOnLatex (SOL) & getting the wool & ticking from DIY Natural Beddingā€¦

2" Med (28 ILD) Dunlop - Comfort for toddler
6" Firm (38 ILD) Dunlop - Core (or even 2 layers of 3" Firm from b/c itā€™s cheaper that way)
3" Med (28 ILD) Dunlop - Mid-support/comfort
2" Soft (19 ILD) Talaylay (from LMF) OR 1" Soft (20 ILD) Dunlop (from SOL) - Comfort for 32 yr old
All of this wrapped in 3 lb batt of wool (which compresses to 1/2 in) to protect latex and maybe help as a fire barrier
Cotton Knit ticking (from DIY, which I like better than the others)

Any input or other things I havenā€™t considered are welcome. Iā€™m also not averse to mixing slabs from the two companies either, but Iā€™m really not sure how the scales (D## to ILD) compare.

Thanks![/color]

Hi rsangsura,

Welcome to our mattress forum :).

Thanks for the post and for providing all the background info. Well done.

Before I get to specifics of the latex questions or of the mattress builds you came up with, let me just ask a couple of questions and suggest something.

Given that your daughter is 3 years old, any high-quality mattress that you design for your sister/daughter will most likely work very well for her when she grows older. Part of me thinks you may be overthinking it with the 2 sided design. For her years 3-13 this great mattress will work very well for her, and it does not have to be 2 sidedā€¦in my opinion only, but if you are really determined, I can work with you on this also.

Let me know your thoughts on this point first then I will get you more info on the design you are proposing and how they may work for your sister, ok?

Thanks,
Sensei

[color=black]I would say that yes, Iā€™m really determined. :wink:
(Though I will admit that I am nearly incapable of not thinking everything through to a detailed degree, especially with expensive purchases. :slight_smile: )

I also have my mom who likes a firmer mattress (I had to put boards under the mattress on the sofa bed one time when she was visiting). She is currently living with us and not looking like sheā€™ll be able to go back home anytime soon (family drama), and she often helps put my daughter to bed. She was just complaining to me the night-before-last about how my daughterā€™s current mattress hurt her back when she fell asleep there, but she also has a bunch of ruptured disks in her back, so thereā€™s thatā€¦

In any case, I also really, really like maximum flexibility in all things insofar as I can have it, so I really like the 2 sided concept of one softer and one firmer, so please do continue with your thoughts on things.

Thanks![/color]

Hey rsangsura,

Thanks for the info. Ok, Let talk about the 2 sided designā€¦noted on your Mom staying with you, ruptured discs, etc, etc.

And your mother likes firmer, but sister likes softer. So I will just look at the bed builds, as I think the wool/cotton ticking is a great idea from DIY Natural, and you list it for both options.

Option 1 DIY
3" Med (D75) - Comfort for toddler
3" Hard (D90) - Core part 1
3" Firm (D80) - Core part 2
3" Med (D75) - Mid-support/comfort
3" Soft (D65) - Comfort for 32 yr old

Option 2
2" Med (28 ILD) Dunlop - Comfort for toddler
6" Firm (38 ILD) Dunlop - Core (or even 2 layers of 3" Firm from b/c itā€™s cheaper that way)
3" Med (28 ILD) Dunlop - Mid-support/comfort
2" Soft (19 ILD) Talaylay (from LMF) OR 1" Soft (20 ILD) Dunlop (from SOL) - Comfort for 32 yr old

Both of these mattresses would be of very high quality and durability. Both DIY and SOL use 100% natural latex and some like to use ILD and some like to use Density (M/cubed). The D measurements are how the latex producers sell these cores, so just for your own info you can ask SOL what are the densities of their 28 and 38 ILd Dunlop piecesā€¦it will be between 75-90 same as DIY.

I would caution mixing the latex too much between suppliers because of the issue with densities / ildā€™s, just as you mentioned. I personally would want to know the manufacturers of each latex to make sure I am not using one latex from Europe and India, and Sri Lanka, etcā€¦you may receive oneā€™s medium and it feels the same as ones firm.

The Talalay is pretty standard, so you could buy that layer separately, and it will not be much of a problem. You want to have one side ā€œfeelā€ softer, and many times mfgrs.

Have you discussed with Debroah at DIY the concept and gotten her input? Same question for LMF or SOL, they are all really good latex experts, so they may have some suggestions.

I would want her or the others to believe that there will be enough of a feel difference between each side. The issue many people experience is that the mattress only feels ā€œslightly differentā€ once its all put together. Also Just FYI the FUL XL 15 inch latex mattress will weigh close to 200lbs? Not easy to flip over.

Please message back if you have any other questions, I will be posting some every day this week.

Thanks
Sensei

I know you guys say it may take a while to get a reply, but is there anything I could do to make this easier? Any particular expert I should talk to?

Iā€™m looking for any advice or ideas yaā€™ll have. What Iā€™ve read here taught me how I was doing it wrong, but Iā€™m not really sure how to do it right given my situation.

There are a few posts from a while back about places in Baton Rouge. Should I go there and try their spring mattresses? Iā€™m open to pretty much anything at this point.

You may want to take a look at SwissDreamBeds.comā€¦ it is natural, but not nearly as heavy as other natural mattresses (Iā€™m a grandmother and it wasnā€™t terribly bad for me to handle, though I did get some help just in case). The beds are hand-made by a Swiss-trained German man in Canada who is absolutely amazingly talented, and basically provide complete alignment through the night, regardless of sleeping position, size or weight, etc.

The only issue you may have is that if you sleep in the middle of the bed, it wonā€™t provide the same alignment, as there are two sides so that each partner (if there is more than one in the bed) can move and have the same complete support individually. However, I found that only took me one night to adjust to and enjoy sleeping on only one side.

The people at SwissDreamBeds.com are extremely helpful and communicative. Iā€™m from NOLA, and currently live on the Gulf Coast, and managed to comfortably buy my bed through communicating with the owner by phone and email. Itā€™s the best bed Iā€™ve ever had, and Iā€™m super picky! The bed lasts many, many years. It took a week or so for me to adjust to it, which the owner said to expect. He also said that if I didnā€™t like it for any reason, heā€™d take it backā€¦ but thereā€™s no way Iā€™d part with this bed! Amazing bed, amazing customer service, amazing sleep, amazing experience. I bought it sight unseen/untried, and wouldnā€™t trade it for the world. I hope this helps!

Hi MHC,

Welcome to the forum :).

Hey sorry about that, it seems your first post was missed, my apologies. I am just first giving you a quick note about listing retailers, then this evening I will give you more suggestions on what you may do to find your perfect mattress.

Unfortunately, we have decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was created with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who meet the criteria to become Mattress Members of The Mattress Underground.

I will message again, sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Sensei

Hey MHC,

Thanks for sending in the post with all the detailed information. Again sorry for the late reply.

I have read over everything you wrote, and all the preferences that you have outlined in your post. Well done by the way. I was going to search around NOLA area, but I really think with your body style, you are going to have a tough time at the retailers.

At first, I was going to recommend an all latex mattress but toward the end of your post I started to believe you really should get a Latex Hybrid mattress. We have several Mattress Expert members that make a very supportive, pretty firm hybrid mattress but you also get comfort layers on top that can be exchanged. Luma Sleep and Arizona Premium are two that I can think of right off the bad. You can ask questions here or directly call them.

With the hybrid, I also thing the combi zone pocketed coil base is better for you than the bolsa as it is generally a firmer unit compared to the bolsa. Both are made by Leggett and Platt, and are well known here on TMU.

With the Luma you would look at the Hybrid Slumber System and then you would choose what 3" latex firmness you would want. Given your preferences, you would want to get at least a 28 ILD topper maybe even 36ILD to keep your alignment and ā€œsleeping onā€ the mattress. Arizonaā€™s hybridhas similar choices.

Additionally, hybrids are cooler than all latex. Lighter than all latex, and really good durability. Let me know your thoughts and any other questions you may have.

Thanks,
Sensei

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Recore mattress? Appears to be a child of goodmorning.com which also is reasonable for Novosbed, Douglas, etc. I see Novosbed used to be a trusted member but is not any longer? Is there any particular reason for that?

Currently we have a foam mattress with a foam topper made by a local mattress store but itā€™s 16 years old and has needed replacement for probably 5 years Iā€™d say. The removable top layer has body dents in it and instead I sleep in my daughterā€™s bed with IKEA latex mattress because my hips and back get so sore I never get any sleep in the bed we have and am in pain all day because of it.

We donā€™t like sleeping on top of memory foam. Weā€™ve owned a ā€œnaturalā€ memory foam topper in our RV, and we hated it. Made us sweat and I donā€™t like how it doesnā€™t seem to spring back. I am sure there are better memory foams out there, but I think Iā€™d like to stick with something closer to latex. The Recore has a synthetic latex top layer, and the rest are differing layers of foam. Ultimately, Iā€™d like a straight organic latex/wool mattress but $2700+ vs $950 is a huge difference (we are upgrading to a king while having to buy a new mattress so also have to purchase a new bed). Our BMIs are 20 and 22 if that factors in to suitability of this mattress for us. And we do often have one of the kids join us (thus the upgrade to a king).

My main concern about all the foam is the long term degradation of foam and those particles getting into the air we breathe on a regular basis which is why I had had hopes for natural latex, but it doesnā€™t seem the price of them has gone done in the last decade.

While anyone is reading, I also have a pillow question. Currently sleeping on a 20 year old buckwheat pillow that is long overdue for replacement. I like that I can mold it and my head has a ā€œholeā€ to fit into and gives me support under my neck. Regular style pillows I donā€™t like as they donā€™t have that moldability. I found the Silk & Snow pillows. Any feedback on those or other pillows similar that I might like? Avocado Green Mattress had a latex/Kapok pillow that also interested me, but they are in the USA and Iā€™d rather not deal with the duty/brokerage fees and horrible exchange rate.

Edit: I have some more Recore information. No flame retardants are used so that is one less toxin to worry about. And here is a description of the foam layers:

First layer: 1.5 inches of graphite-infused latex with vertical air channels. Layer density: 3.4 lbs/ftĀ³.
Second layer: 2 inches of Vortexā„¢ gel foam. Foam density: 2.5 lbs/ftĀ³.
Third layer: 7 inches of motion isolating support foam. Foam density: 1.8 lbs/ftĀ³.

Hi Phoenix,

First of all, thank you so much for the great wealth of information you guys made available on this site. This is truly enlightening and helpful.

My wife and I are 32 years old, 5ā€™6ā€™ā€™ 140 lbs and 5ā€™10ā€™ā€™ 185 lbs respectively. Weā€™ve been sleeping for the last 7 years on a 2007 pillowtop innerspring/polyfoam and I frequently wake up early in the morning with low/mid back pain at the rib cage level and below. I will usually fall asleep on the back and wake up on the side, switching every 15-20 minutes from back pain. My wife says she sleeps OK but that she could use a better bed.

Following my readings on The Mattress Undergound, we finded a helpful and knowledgable local manufacturer and selected 3 mattresses that fitted our tastes, our favorite being the following:

Materials, according to the salesman :
-Tempered steel pocket-coil, overall gauge 13.5 and 13 at mid-section
-1 inch 2.5 lbs polyfoam
-2 inches 65 % Talalay Latex (stated density 4.5 lbs, not sure what it means)
-1 inch 2.5 lbs polyfoam
-Wool for temperature and moisture regulation (so I am told)
-Less than an inch or so of eggshell foam with quilt

Based on what I learned from your website, I feel confident the mattress is made to last. However, I have a hard time understanding how to establish PPP. I read ā€œConfort and Pressure reliefā€ as well as ā€œSupport and Spinal alignementā€, but every mattress we try just feels like it keeps our spine in line, which is probably not the case.

To further try and understand how to evaluate spinal alignment on new mattresses, I took some photos of myself lying on my old bed (see below). As far as I can tell, my spinal ā€œSā€ keeps its shape on the back position and stays straight and level on the side position. Do you have any additional advice on that matter? I canā€™t be testing new mattresses if I canā€™t even troubleshoot old ones! So far, I canā€™t even explain why I would need a new mattress, besides the fact that it is old and that I donā€™t sleep well (which could happen on a brand new one).

Any clue?

Sensei,

Thank you very much for your help. I hadnā€™t even considered a hybrid mattress, but I can see how that makes sense. Iā€™ve got a couple of questions. If any of these are more appropriate for the experts, let me know and Iā€™ll ask them. (E.g. Iā€™m not really sure of the differences between Luma and Arizonaā€™s models from the web. Thatā€™s probably the first thing Iā€™m going to ask them.)

1. With the ones you recommended, do you think it will be possible for me to attempt side-sleeping despite the huge gap between my shoulders and hips? Do you expect that theyā€™ll be able to get me something that ā€œworksā€ on the first go? Or is it likely that Iā€™m going to have to use a comfort layer exchange a couple of times to nail it?

2. Iā€™m assuming you changed you mind and decided on the hybrid because of the mattress weight, heat, support, and durability issues. Or was there more to it than that?

3. Is there a good source for bedding advice? Iā€™ve tried a bunch of different sheet/blanket options over the years and havenā€™t every been truly satisfied.

4. I like the idea of an adjustable bed base, but having never used one, I donā€™t know. Does anyone offer an in-home trial of that? And is the best option to price shop for a model that does the minimum that I want? Or is it better to just get the base from whoever I get the mattress from? I really only want zero g and slight head elevation when back sleeping, but are there any quality/durability indicators or particular features I should probably look for or consider as well?

5. Did I just luck out on the Select Comfort bare bladder? Or is there a reason it happened to give me proper spinal alignment? The support core information makes this sound like a lucky coincidence, but maybe Iā€™m wrong. (I get that the reason it lasted so long was that air doesnā€™t wear out as a support layer and it could handle the density of my lower body.)

6. One thing I like about that air bladder is that it equalizes pressure. So the harder my body pushes down around my hips and thighs, the more it pushes up into recessed areas like the small of my back. Is that a sensation that can be replicated? Or is that just naturally going to happen in any good bed that gives me proper alignment?

7. Iā€™d like to try a buckling column gel comfort layer. Is there a way to do that from some reputable company that doesnā€™t use sketchy marketing ā€œwooā€? Most of the companies that I can find via searches seem to be defunct. Beliot made a bed using L&Pā€™s version of that material, but the websites for both make me think it is no longer available. (I was hoping to try the hexagonal one the article here mentions, but I couldnā€™t find it for sale.) Several friends with similar body types did a very comprehensive test of bed-in-a-box mattresses and found that Purpleā€™s worked the best. And I really like the pillow they gave me, but Iā€™m not keen on patronizing people with questionable marketing practices.

8. Casper makes a big deal over having a latex layer above memory foam. Does putting fast response over slow response in the comfort layer actually do anything? Or is that marketing BS as well? Are there other comfort layer configurations besides single piece of latex that I should specifically ask your experts about? Or should I just point them to my original post and let them take it from there?

Hey MHC,

Great questions!

1. This is tough to say, but when you did you calculations and needed ā€œ8-9 INCHESā€ as you mentioned in your first post, I would be very hesitant to say YES to getting one of these to work. It may be adding comfort layers not necessarily ā€œexchangingā€ comfort layers.

2. Yes exactly why I moved to the hybrid models.

3. There is really not a detailed source for unbiased information about sheets and other bedding. TMU has a best natural sheets thread but i donā€™t think you cared too much on natural/organic info.

4. I have never heard of in-home trials of the adjustable bases. Personally, I tend to go ā€œin the middleā€ on theseā€¦not the ones with too many bells and whistles and not the base models. Thatā€™s just me. There are not that many manufacturers of the better adjustables, so you will see prices are similar with at each companyā€¦generally speaking. I think you have more convenience with using the same company, and possibly more leverage if something goes wrong. But really no critical reason with using same as mattress company.

5. This is a fascinating question, but I donā€™t know the answer. Maybe lucked out, I just canā€™t say.

6. I think that the way air ā€œequalizes pressureā€ is unique to airā€¦latex will do this to some extent, but latex is more like reacting to the levels of pressure, and ā€œfills in the recessed areasā€, but you are correct most good mattress ā€œfitsā€ will do this.

7. The L&P gel deal fell through a while back, so thatā€™s not happening anywhere else. I will leave the comments about Purple to you and other consumers for now.

8. The feel of putting latex over memory foam is legitimate, and people do like the combination, memory foam acts to moderate the bounce of latex. Itā€™s individual, of course, but itā€™s a comfort choice that can work well. Casperā€™s was a thin 1-inch piece and I am pretty sure they donā€™t even use latex anymore they just use a fast recovery polyfoamā€¦Casperā€™s was more marketing bs than other people try.

My apologies for the late replyā€¦again!!! Itā€™s not you, I promise.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi,

Iā€™m looking for a new mattress. My current mattress is at least 10 years old and shows it. I regularly have lower back pain in some muscles on the right side thanks to this mattress where I had minor surgery a couple years ago. I was on vacation recently for about three weeks, walked 5.5 miles a day and didnā€™t notice a thing in my back after the first two days on newer mattresses. Itā€™s not proof itā€™s the mattress, but it sure seems like it.

If itā€™s relevant, I am a side sleeper. Iā€™ll wake up sometimes on any mattress and have to switch sides, then I usually go right back to sleep.

Anyway, hereā€™s my question. I recently learned I can get a substantial discount on Sertaā€™s ā€œperfectsleeperā€ ā€œicollectionā€ line meant for hotels through my job. I can get a 13 inch mattress and box springs for $400 kind of discount. The discount isnā€™t foolproof though, if I donā€™t like the mattress I canā€™t return it.

I have some specs from a 14 inch ā€œPLATINUM SUITE IIā€ mattress spec sheet below.
Imgur

They donā€™t give much information on the density of the foams, but they do mention coils and upholstery. Iā€™m not sure how much help any of that is, though I can certainly try asking the Serta salesman I was referred to for more details.

I have a couple of questions based on this information. If itā€™s not enough to get any definite answers thatā€™s ok.

How good a deal is this ā€œdiscountā€ as is?

I realize Serta mattresses are often more of a brand name than quality, but would I get something at least a little better with a hotel mattress?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try in store that might be similar? Iā€™d much rather try something before buying, even if itā€™s at a substantial discount.

Given that I have back issues is it wise to just buy something like this, or should I try first?

Do you need more information? If so thatā€™s just fine, Iā€™ll do what I can to get more information.

Hi Sensei. I would appreciate advice on whether you think that a hybrid mattress would provide a good balance between back/hip support and pressure point pain. I am 66, 150 pounds, 5ā€™10", and a side sleeper. I am currently using a Sealy A3 plush inner spring mattress, purchased in 2016. It was okay until this past year when I started having pressure pain at hips and shoulders. To soften it I bought a 2 inch 20 ILD latex topper from Sleep on Latex. It was too soft and I replaced it with their 1 inch 20 ILD. It also was too soft, and I didnā€™t like the feeling of sinking in to the topper. I now have 1 inch of Foam by Mailā€™s HD36-HQ poly foam, which relieves pressure points but doesnā€™t provide enough lower back/hip support. I am thinking that it is time to start from scratch and consider a new mattress. I donā€™t like memory foam because of the heat and sinking feeling, and soft latex and I havenā€™t gotten along thus far due to sinking. I would appreciate any tips on hybrid or other mattresses that would provide a good combination of support and pressure relief. Thanks in advance.

Finding this all a little overwhelming!

So Iā€™ve done a decent amount of research (thank you so much for this website and forum, seriously). Wife and I had considered a latex topper to improve firmness of our Queen until we move and buy a king. Weā€™ve opted to scratch that idea and just get a new King mattress.

Of notes are below and Iā€™m hoping for a bit more guidance/steering in the right direction, if at all possible? Suffering from a bit of information overload.

Me: 6ā€™3, 176 pound male. Usual stomach sleeper, unfortunately.
Her: 5ā€™10, 140 pound female. Side sleeper.

Symptoms of late:
Lower back pain (both)
Hot/sweaty sleep (me)
Restless/interrupted/poor sleep (both)

Desires:
Firm(er) King mattress
Latex (based on what Iā€™ve read, review/comments of posters)
100% organic (she is all-natural, organic for food, cleaning products, etc. and we would both like to avoid chemicals wherever possible)
Ideal budget would be less than $2,000 Canadian, but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s remotely realistic

Questions:
Showrooms in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada where we can test some out?
Are most of these beds comprised of multiple layers inside a cover? And is that normal?
Does the height matter? I notice the 7" mattresses seem geared to children on Dormioā€™s site and are significantly cheaper than 10" (makes sense), but would it be bad for an adult?

Would appreciate any guidance at all. Seems like this will be a huge purchase and donā€™t want to be stuck with something that doesnā€™t work for us after shelling out so much money. I also know (based on experience) returning a mattress is effectively impossible.

Thanks so much,
Brad

Brad123, Iā€™m also looking for a similar mattress to you and am also in Canada. My husband and I are similar to you and your wife proportionally in size (heā€™s a bit shorter and lighter than you, and I am quite a bit shorter than your wife and weight is proportionally less) and have similar sleep styles. I have been looking at mattress for over 7 years already (I have old posts on this forum) and it seems like not much has changed with respect to pricing on latex mattresses in Canada or the options available. What has exploded is the bed in the box industry.

Where I am located, in KING size, I can locally get an 8" latex mattress with 6" latex of one firmness, 2" of another, and a plain Tencel or polyester top for just about $2000 + taxes. To get something that is 10" with some ā€œproprietary zoned layersā€ and a cotton/wool top with some cushion, I am looking at about $3000. These are Natureā€™s Embrace mattresses out of Vancouver. And the prices at a local shop are cheaper than what is on the manufacturerā€™s web site.

My kids have 8" ikea 85% natural/15% synthetic mattresses with cotton/wool covers and the 8" $2000 mattress I tried out at the local store isnā€™t any better for feel especially since the top is like a flat polyester sheet. The latest version of the IKEA mattress I got my kids several years ago, is $1300 for king and still has cotton/wool and is cozier. BUT, the $2000 less ā€œfeaturedā€ Natureā€™s Embrace version, is organic whereas the IKEA mattress is not.

To get closer to what I am looking for, it is the Natureā€™s Embrace $3000 model, the Motif. It is 10" and has ā€œproprietary zonedā€ layers in it which I havenā€™t called to ask them what that means.

I have checked other online sources in Canada and it so far, it seems to me this is about standard for pricing and what you get for latex if you look hard enough. Some places have non-organic for more money. I am limited in my local places that supply latex mattresses so I am sure you have many more options where you live. If you have the time and energy, you may have some luck.

I am a bit disappointed to say that I ended up ordering a mattress that has some attempts at being closer to natural, but is kind of one of the standard bed in the box attempts that is out now. The mattress is vegan (a bonus for our family), uses a latex top layer, uses the bio-based ā€œgreenwashedā€ foams, and has more pocket coils and micro coils than I can count. Iā€™ve got young kids and young-adult kids and am getting older myself and I need something a bit cushier than what I have used in the past and what I found met that, for $1400. The organic latex versions I want with a base and cushy pillow top are $4000 or more for a king. Thatā€™s not doable for us at the moment. I donā€™t think it will meet your criteria as your wife sounds particular like I am, but if you want to check it out itā€™s the Haven Lux.

I also checked out the Recore but the latex top layer is totally synthetic and the rest of the bed is foam. Their customer service has been great though with the questions I have asked. I did have a question here in this thread about the Recore, but it wasnā€™t addressed by anyone.

I have not slept on a coil mattress in my home in my entire life (I grew up on futon mattresses), so I am a bit shocked I ordered something with pocket coils and micro coils. But we did end up spending time in some higher end hotels this summer, with recently replaced mattresses, for 7-10 nights at a time, and their mattresses were more comfortable than anything I have at home. I think they were some sort of pocket coil mattresses with foam and a pillow top and I finally didnā€™t have nerves shooting pain in my hips all day and night so I am hoping this Haven may work for comfort without breaking the bank and hopefully not totally poisoning me. Haha.

If you find something quickly that meets your criteria and budget, let me know what it is. Maybe I can still cancel my order and get one too. :slight_smile:

I am a 134 lb side sleeper with wide shoulders and ordered a Haven Lux plush mattress. I liked the way it feels like you are sleeping ā€œon topā€ of the mattress instead of sleeping in a sling like some all foam mattresses feel but the plush was not soft enough for me and woke up with sore shoulders and hips. Haven failed to respond to when I reached out to try and find out some options but I felt that the mattress was good enough value and supportive enough that I ended up getting a 2" blended latex Talalay topper which has worked out really well in combination with the hybrid mattress. I think it was a 19 ILD. If I had to do it all over again I think I would take the leap of faith and order a hybrid mattress from Arizona premium possibly with the copper infused latex topper and have the best of all worlds. The copper infused latex layer on top of the Lux actually is really wonderfulā€¦it feels cool even in hot weather. It just wasnā€™t enough cushioning for me.

Demeter, do you think the plush with added soft zone would have been better for you? My husband and chiropractor friend seemed to think Iā€™d be better off with the regular plush without the soft zone even though I was leaning towards the soft zone.

Iā€™m buying this with every intention of it working out and keeping it but if it doesnā€™t work, I hope Haven deals with a return gracefully. I did consider adding more on top if necessary, but I figure Iā€™ll already be 26" from the floor with my bed and the Lux so another 2" is too high for my height and will look terrible with the bed I have.

Post removed by author.

Sorry - should have addressed this to Sensei or Phoenix - would you mind having a look whenever you have a chance? Heading out to visit showrooms tonight (if we can find any beyond the Dormio one in Etobicoke).