husband + wife mattress

Hi Phoenix and the community,

I was wondering, my parents sleep different. My dad needs a firmer mattress and my mum needs a softer mattress because of different sleeping style. I was wondering why does the industry not sell husband and wife mattress where you can join two different types of mattress in the between and both the partner can have a great night sleep. Does the comfort level change when you combine two different mattress because the size of one individual mattress becomes really small.

Thanks very much

-JB

Hi jackb,

There are several options that can accommodate the needs and preferences of a couple that are very different (see the first part of post #2 here).

Twin XL mattresses or mattresses that work well for two different people (which can be confirmed with your own local testing) are widely available everywhere but side by side split layering in a single mattress is more commonly available with online retailers or manufacturers and are more common with latex or latex hybrid mattresses. Depending on where you live, these types of mattresses may also be available locally as well.

In most cases no … or at least not to a degree that it would make a meaningful difference for most people.

Phoenix

Thanks mate

Hi jackb,

I should have mentioned in my original reply … if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would also make sure you read the mattress shopping tutorial here.

Phoenix