iComfort Hybrid vs. Posturepedic Hybrid

I am currently sleeping on a Leesa mattress, which is about a year old. It has softened to the point where I am bent in half, while sleeping. It is causing me a lot of back pain. I am 6’1" 240 pounds and my girlfriend is about 5’8" and 160 pounds. I fall asleep on my back but flop around a lot and she mainly sleeps on her side.

I am starting to think that I just don’t like foam mattresses, and may do better with a hybrid or regular innerspring. I do a lot better sleeping in hotels than I do at home.

I know that you don’t like the “big name” manufacturers and don’t recommend specific beds, but it is hard to find anything else where I live (about two hours south of Pittsburgh). From the mattresses I tested in the local stores, these two seems to work pretty well:

Serta iComfort Applause II Plush

Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Copper Cushion Firm

Do you know anything about what may be the differences in quality between these two, or does anyone else here have any experience with either of these mattresses? Thanks a lot.

Hi patrick2099,

I’m sorry to hear that your Leesa mattress isn’t working well for you any longer.

You are in a higher weight/BMI range (over 30) so it would make sense to look for mattresses that use higher quality and more durable materials than those that are in lower weight/BMI ranges (see the durability guidelines here). There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges or have a higher BMI.

While the process of how to choose a mattress would involve the same steps that are listed in the mattress shopping tutorial … most people in higher weight/BMI ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

Whether I like a particular mattress or not isn’t really relevant to someone else but the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors (including Leesa) that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

[quote]Serta iComfort Applause II Plush

Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Copper Cushion Firm

Do you know anything about what may be the differences in quality between these two, or does anyone else here have any experience with either of these mattresses? Thanks a lot. [/quote]

Like all the major brand mattresses … both of them use lower quality and less durable materials and I wouldn’t consider either one of them.

Outside of many online options that are available to you … subject to confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that may be in or around your general area that may be worth considering are listed in post #6 here.

Phoenix