Invigo 8" All Latex Mattress vs Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex Mattress

I can get the Invigo that has an 8" 80/20 all latex blend of Dunlop (80%) and synthetic (20%) latex with a 1" cover for around $805 shipped, direct from Invigo after a price match and one of their 10% off codes. My other choice is the Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex Mattress for $899 shipped on Amazon. The Natural Latex is still using the 2.35 Pound High Density HR Base Foam that they quit using in their more popular lesser priced version, coupled with 3" of Dunlop latex instead of the Talalay latex that they use in the lower end mattress. They also move to a bamboo and wool blend for the cover instead of the bamboo only cover.

So I guess the biggest question is 8" of an 80/20 Dunlop latex blend vs 3" of Talalay latex on a high density base foam. Invigo vs Dreamfoam? Both seem to be very reputable from what I’ve read here. My wife is a back sleeper and I am a back and side sleeper with sleep apnea and a CPAP machine. As such, I tend to remain rather tethered to the edge of the bed and rarely move once I’m in a position and sleeping. My wife on the other hand tosses and turns a good bit, and always feels rather hot in bed (Yeah, that does sound a little bad…LOL) and tends to kick off the covers on her side a lot. This is one of the reasons I was really considering latex. We did test a Sleep Number bed together and oddly both of us ended up picking almost the exact same firmness level which was between 55-58 on their dial, so I guess I’d call that a medium firmness?

We live in Baton Rouge, and I see that there are a few local mattress manufacturers here in town, and I plan to stop by them tomorrow to see what they have in latex mattresses. I just don’t know what they’ll have in my price range, which is $1k out the door, tops.

We’re moving from a very expensive Stearns & Foster pillowtop that has a huge dent on my wife’s side of the bed, and for which they have refused to honor their warranty. As such, I will never own another Stearns & Foster, nor any of their other brands like Sealy, Serta, etc. They’re liars, thieves, and not to be trusted. Be aware that they don’t honor their warranties and go into a purchase of one of their brands with the full knowledge that you’re basically buying an As-Is mattress without a warranty. Your only hope is that the company who sold it to you helps you out, because they won’t.

So, what do y’all think? I’d appreciate any and all guidance that you have to offer.

I did forget to say that we’re both 6’ tall, I am around 215-217lbs and my wife is around 250-265lbs.

Hi Wineaux,

Unfortunately there are too many variables, unknowns, and preferences involved to use a formula to choose a mattress that can be more effective than your own personal testing and experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Outside of this … you would be dependent on more detailed conversations with an online manufacturer or retailer that can use the “averages” of their customers to help you make the most suitable choice for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences and in this case the options you have after a purchase to either exchange a mattress, individual layers, or return the mattress may be an important part of your personal value equation.

The Invigo 8" all latex mattress uses blended Dunlop (Durolux) that is 80% synthetic latex and 20% natural latex (not the other way around) which is generally not as durable or as elastic as Dunlop that uses 100% natural latex but is much less costly

The blended Talalay used in the Dreamfoam comfort layer would also likely be a more durable choice.

In terms of quality/durability, I would give a slight edge to the synthetic blend in the support layer of the Invigo and the edge to the 100% natural Dunlop in the comfort layer of the Dreamfoam and in terms of temperature regulation, the wool in the Dreamfoam would have the edge as well. In most cases … the durability of the comfort layers would be a much more significant factor in the useful life of a mattress than the durability of the support layers.

Firmness is subjective and relative to each person’s perceptions and also depends on whether you are talking about the firmness of a comfort layer or the firmness of a support layer (an air bladder is a support layer). You can read more about the different types of firmness/softness in post #15 here. A mattress is only as firm or as soft as each person perceives it and this can vary widely between people. Their is no standardized method or naming convention that is consistent between people or different manufacturers.

There is also more about choosing a mattress for heavier body types in the links included in post #3 here that may be well worth reading as well.

Unfortunately this is a fairly typical experience with mattress warranties … especially with larger manufacturers who tend to use lower quality materials in the upper layers of their mattresses. The compression, softening, and breakdown of lower quality/density materials in the comfort layers especially is usually the weak link of a mattress. In most cases … foam softening or the compression or breakdown of fiber materials that leads to the loss of comfort and support is the reason most people need to replace a mattress and this isn’t covered under warranty unless there is an actual unweighted impression that is deeper than the warranty exclusion which is rarely the case. Even then there are other warranty exclusions that can invalidate a warranty (such as any stains on the mattress). A warranty in other words has very little to do with the useful life of a mattress and is mostly for marketing reasons.

You can read more about warranties in post #174 here but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress is a much more effective way to assess the relative durability of a mattress and it’s useful comfort life. There is more about the factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Back to the choice between Dreamfoam and Invigo you are down to final choices between “good and good” and your confidence in the suitability of each mattress in terms of PPP, and the options you have after a purchase to further customize the mattress, exchange layers, or return the mattress may be an important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase that you haven’t tried or tested in person.

Phoenix