Is Sleep on Latex a good fit?

I am thinking of getting Sleep on Latex mattresses but was wondering if it would be a good fit for me or if I would need something thicker than 8.5 inches. I am a 64 year old woman that ways 205 pounds and is 90+% side sleeper. I sometimes have shoulder pain. I was thinking of the medium but was wondering if it would bottom out for me. Maybe add a topper???

I think it would be, yes. I bought one of their mattresses a few years ago (with the benefit of a code from here) after reading a lot here, learning about latex, and trying a latex mattress at a store. I really liked the mattresses I tried but I was on a tight budget at the time and it was hard to justify paying almost double the price when Sleep on Latex seemed to be providing something similar.

I had only ever slept on firm spring mattresses, so I was a little surprised that SOL recommended that I get a soft mattress because I’m a side sleeper. I trusted their recommendation and I think it was a good choice. It took me a little while to get used to it but my body feels very aligned when I lay on it, which is the critical thing.

I weigh about as much as you, if that is helpful. A relative would use the bed on trips, and he is a back sleeper who’s considerably heavier than us, so that speaks to the versatility. I wouldn’t be concerned about it bottoming out.

I think I could have been just as comfortable on the medium and I expect this is why they’ve discontinued the soft.

I’m looking to buy another mattress and I think the quality and value of SOL is hard to beat.

One drawback, and I think this might be one of the ways they save money, is that at least in my experience their delivery was just to my apartment building (at the time) entrance. Luckily I had an elevator there because otherwise that would have been a real pain to get up to my place especially by myself.

If you order, ideally have someone on hand to help you carry it to your room, or see if they can upgrade your delivery to something that will carry it for you.

If anyone is worried about springs, there are other options besides latex. We got a Tuft and Needle foam bed a couple of years ago, and love it so far. I think Ikea has foam mattresses as well, and there are plenty of other online retailers of them.

Hi, Recently I have been talking with the folks at SOL and they are super helpful. If the topper I’m getting doesn’t work on my latex and wool shikibuton, I’ll either get a mattress from them or just play around with more / different toppers. The return policy is generous and wonderful. 30 days for toppers and covers, 100 days for mattresses. I am pretty sure I will have to return the topper I have for another that’s on the way. I’m within the 30 day period. They will send me a box and a return label… no charge and I’ll be refunded when it’s received. You cannot beat that.

So, you can try out the 8" and then add a topper.
P.s. I’ve been talking to Lexi and Andrew there who are super helpful.

Good Luck

I’m a customer of Sleep On Latex and appreciate their ownership’s transparency and excellent customer service. One thing to be aware of regarding their return policy is that they allow one return per year in each product category, so one topper, one mattress, etc. So if you return a topper for another the replacement would not be returnable. Of course it’s possible they might make an exception to their policy depending on the circumstances, just be sure that you’re clear on it before making an exchange. Also I recall reading that their return policy might differ on Amazon compared to dealing direct.

• Bill

Bill, Thanks for the update. Glad to know this before my 2nd topper iteration arrives. This iteration is more flexible and one that I can build on, so hopefully I won’t be wanting to return.
Thanks again

Rip, I’ve been browsing every inch of SOL’s site. They discontinued the soft mattress because it was the most returned of their mattresses. And as the OP suggests, a soft topper might just do the trick. And probably the medium would’ve been fine for you.

Funny that you mention that, Hester, since I just came on here to give an update on their medium which I ended up ordering.

First off, I believe they’ve changed the composition (not in a bad way); where it used to be one six inch core layer, then a three inch comfort layer, it is now two four inch layers.

The medium is rather comfortable and supportive. It feels closer to my ideal mattress than the soft I mentioned above, but I felt that a bit of softness could really dial it in.

I contacted them and they explained that a 3" soft topper would essentially make it feel like a soft mattress, however a 2" one would be 50/50 between the mattress and topper contributing to feel, which sounds ideal. I will update after it arrives and I’ve slept on it.

I want to make an amendment to my earlier point about shipping. It’s true that the free shipping option is as I say, left at your door/porch/lobby.

However I read a post online by the owner of the company saying that if you request it with your order, you can pay to have it delivered all the way. Well worth the money for those who gave many floors to go or who can’t carry the weight of the mattress (which is quite heavy). So this could be a good option especially for older people.

Hi Rip,
Thanks for the update. I am very pleased to read about the “white glove” delivery option. I know a full medium mattress from them is about 115 pounds. I’m old and even with hubby’s help could not manage that weight up a flight of stairs.
For me, fiddling around with 1" thick latex is the better option, though more expensive. Which is to say, a 2" piece of firm topper say is less than two 1" pieces.

Good luck on your new purchase and please post about it when you can.
hester