Is Ultimate Dreams A Good Buy?

My fiance and I are getting married soon and are looking for our first mattress together. I prefer springs since that is what I always have slept on but she wants a foam. The Ultimate Dream Foam from Amazon looks too good to be true so I wanted to see what people think.

A little info on us. We are both side sleepers with lower back pain and I have very sensitive shoulders if the mattress isn’t supportive. In the store we have preferred medium to firm mattresses. That is not too firm not too soft, somewhere in between feels good.

Based on this info is this bed good for us?

edit: Also, if we bought the bed online and thought it was too soft or too hard would a topper be an acceptable solution rather than returning the bed? I’m very wary about online buying.

Hi sgs006,

[quote]My fiance and I are getting married soon and are looking for our first mattress together. I prefer springs since that is what I always have slept on but she wants a foam. The Ultimate Dream Foam from Amazon looks too good to be true so I wanted to see what people think.

A little info on us. We are both side sleepers with lower back pain and I have very sensitive shoulders if the mattress isn’t supportive. In the store we have preferred medium to firm mattresses. That is not too firm not too soft, somewhere in between feels good.

Based on this info is this bed good for us?[/quote]

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to know how to choose a mattress that is the best choice for you. The information on this site can help you with “how” to choose but there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone else to be able to tell you specifically “what” to choose based on a formula, specs (either yours or a mattress), or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Dreamfoam is one of the manufacturing members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry so they would certainly be well worth including in your research.

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase. A mattress that is “best for you” is the one that is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), uses high quality and durable materials that are suitable for your budget range and body type so there are no “weak links” in the mattress, and that you believe is the best choice for you out of your final choices based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. While I can’t tell you whether it would be the best choice for you … the Ultimate Dreams latex mattress (assuming that’s the one you are looking at) has been the final choice for many of the members here that are very happy with their purchase.

A topper can be a good solution for a mattress that is too firm and needs some additional softness or pressure relief but it’s not a good solution for a mattress that is too soft because a firmer topper will still compress into the softer layers underneath it. If you have talked with Dreamfoam about the options you are considering and you are still uncertain about whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then the options you have after a purchase to exchange or return a mattress (or individual layers) and any costs involved would become more important and it may be worth considering one of their component mattresses where you can exchange the comfort layer for a softer or firmer version if you need to.

Phoenix