Jamison Lady Lark

Our old mattress finally needs replacing…loved this mattress - S&F that you could flip with pillow top on both sides. It is an innerspring and in research, it seems they don’t make them like they used to…not only S&F, but all innerspring mattresses.

I have been researching 100% pure Talalay latex mattresses online and it is so confusing when you call different companies the terms they use range from natural, organic, green, etc. and they offer covers ranging from poly/cotton, bamboo, organic. It does seem that all the ones I have contacted get their latex from Latex International, which seems like a good thing.

I have contacted the store in town that I purchased my S&F from years ago thinking maybe I should check out my “local” options. They have two Jamison mattresses with latex: Silverspot and Lady Lark. I would only be interested in the Lady Lark since it is all Talalay latex and these are the specifications the store gave me regarding the latex content: 2" 19 ILD - 2" 19 ILD - 2" 21 ILD - 3" 36 ILD - 3" 44 ILD.

I also have purchased a 2" N2 mattress topper that I planned on using with my old mattress, but have decided to purchase a new mattress…so I would probably use this on top of the Lady Lark. I don’t know if I would be better off buying the Jamison Lady Lark or ordering a mattress online. 100% pure latex is what I was hoping to purchase (not blended or synthetic), but I read one post here that LI uses fillers (which I don’t know much about).

I have Fibromyalgia and back issues and am a side sleeper (5’6" 125lb)…my husband is mainly a stomach / back sleeper (6’ 180lb). After visiting the store and laying on the Lady Lark, it’s hard to know how it would sleep and I don’t know if I would need anything softer than 19 ILD in the mattress and I haven’t even opened the 2" N2 topper so not sure if I would need a different topper on top of the Lady Lark? I have read that the latex will soften up a little with use. My other option is to go back to shopping online, which will be a guessing game.

I also love the feel of a pillowtop, but not the fact that they flatten out from body impressions (even though my S&F held up pretty well for 12 years of use). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi restnight,

That’s certainly true for the major brands but there are still dozens of smaller manufacturers around the country that are still making very high quality innerspring mattresses including two sided versions (see post #404 here and post #3 here). In the case of the mainstream industry though that most people are exposed to through their advertising … it’s certainly true that they “don’t make them like they used to”.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex that you will see on the market in this article and in post #6 here. Latex International is one of two manufacturers of Talalay latex (the other is Radium) and they are both good quality materials. I also agree that the industry as a whole can be very confusing when it comes to the marketing claims they make. There is more about organic certifications in post #2 here and the post it links to. Natural materials generally refer to 100% natural latex (either Dunlop or Talalay) and natural fibers (such as wool or cotton) and there is also more about “how green is green” in post #4 here.

You can see some of my thoughts about Jamison in post #2 here. The Lady Lark uses all blended Talalay latex which means that there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of durability so if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would be well worth considering. The specs you were given may be incorrect though (The Lady Lark description here has 2" less latex in the mattress than the information you were given so it seems they “inserted” an extra 2" layer). A forum search on Jamison Lady Lark (you can just click this) will bring up more information and feedback about it as well.

All latex is 100% “pure” latex (latex means a rubber particle suspended in water and both synthetic and natural latex are equally latex) but LI does use fillers in their Talalay to increase the firmness.

You can read more about the two ways to choose a mattress (locally or online) in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here. Careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post or your own personal experience is the only reliable way to know if a mattress is a good match for you. All foam materials will soften over time but in general latex is more durable and will soften less than other types of foam materials (memory foam or polyfoam). There is more about the factors that can affect the useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post is the best place to start and has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The reasons for body impressions in pillowtops is not so much because it’s a pillowtop but because most of the pillowtops in the mainstream industry use lower quality polyfoam which will tend to soften and impress prematurely. If a pillowtop uses good quality materials so there are no weak links in the mattress then they wouldn’t have a durability issue like so many of the pillowtops in the mainstream industry.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you for your prompt reply. I will look over all of the information you have suggested. This is such a great site!

Thank you again,
Terre

That’s certainly true for the major brands but there are still dozens of smaller manufacturers around the country that are still making very high quality innerspring mattresses including two sided versions (see post #404 here and post #3 here). In the case of the mainstream industry though that most people are exposed to through their advertising … it’s certainly true that they “don’t make them like they used to”.

In my search for a new innerspring mattress, we first tried a “S” model mattress, we slept on it one night and after making it in the morning, we noticed body impressions and a raised ridge running down the center. After investigation, they had ordered and delivered the wrong mattress, but after that experience we decided we did not want another “S” model. So the store told us about a small manufacturer and we decided to try one of their mattresses…they gave us information on the unit materials…ranging from the quilt (Natural FR Rayon Fiber, comfort foam, comfort foam) then the mattress:
1" soft memory foam
1" soft memory foam
HD comfort foam 1.95
HD Support foam 2.5
Cooling gel lumbar memory foam
HD support lid 2.5
Foam encased 6 turn 475 zoned 12 1/2 guage
High density base foam
Then the 16 slat zoned foundation

The day they came to pick up the “S” model, they delivered the mattress described above. When they removed the plastic there was a large lump from one edge sloping to the center of the mattress…so the company sent another and we thought we were in business. They suggested rotating it every two weeks for the first 3 months and then monthly. At the two week mark (this week), we rotated it and the side that I don’t normally see as I walk through the room had a bow, making the side rounded and at the same time we noticed it was happening on one end. It’s like the foam inside is shifting…so I took pictures and emailed to the store. At this point, I am frustrated and that’s when I decided that innerspring was probably out of the picture. The store is coming to pick up this mattress and I really don’t see the need to try another. Also, after sleeping on this mattress I have low back pain which I thought might get better since they say you need to sleep on it at least 30 days for your body to adjust to it. If I hadn’t gotten rid of my old mattress, I would probably be willing to just sleep on it another 12 years!

So long story to tell you what has brought me to investigate latex. The store we had been dealing with was an hour away and belongs to friend who has been great to deal with. The Lady Lark is from the store I purchased our S&F from (local) as I mentioned before…since I loved the mattress I purchased years ago, I thought I might have the same success this time around. I feel the owner will be as truthful as he has the knowledge to be and he has been telling me for several months that he has not found an innerspring mattress that he’s just thrilled with and to be prepared that any new one will not last as long as my old one, due to the way they are making them.

Thanks for pointing out that the information I received regarding the Jamison Lady Lark unit was not the same as what was listed on their website…I have contacted the store about this and the owner is going to call me back.

As far as the latex in the Lady Lark, you say it is blended…so it’s not 100% Talalay latex? I’ve read that blended is 70/30, is that correct? If it is blended, it seems the price is steep for the product?

All that being said, I totally agree that I need to lay on the mattress at least 15 minutes and plan on doing that…I always take my pillow so I can get a true reading since I had cervical disc fusion several years ago and if the pillow is wrong, then I can’t evaluate the mattress.

BTW, I have no idea if I did the “quote” right when I tried to copy it from your post…if I did not…sorry!

Thanks again,
Terre

Phoenix, do you possibly have a list of smaller manufacturers that make very high quality innersprings including two sided versions?

Terre

Hi restnight,

I don’t keep keep a list of all the individual mattresses made by all the manufacturers or retailers I have in my records (it would be more than any single person could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

My zip code is 72401.

In my previous post, you mentioned that the latex in the Jamison was a blend…could you please tell me the pros and cons to blend versus 100% pure Talalay? Also, I went by the furniture store and discussed the discrepancy between the literature they gave me and what the Jamison website listed for the mattress contents. We measured his floor model and it was 12" and looked at the cut-out model they have, both would indicate that there is an additional 2" of soft Talalay latex. The owner has contacted the company to be sure, but he won’t hear back until Monday.

Thank you for your help,
Terre

Hi restnight,

Talalay is a production method for making latex cores so both blended Talalay and 100% natural Talalay are both “pure” Talalay since they were both made with the same production method.

There is more about the pros and cons of blended vs 100% natural Talalay in post #2 here. Basically the blended is a little more durable (in the lower ILD’s at least) and pressure relieving and less costly and the 100% natural is denser and more elastic and “supportive”, and more costly.

Both of them are certified for harmful substances and VOC’s with the same testing criteria (Oeko-Tex standard 100).

I’m glad you’re checking and I noticed that another forum member listed the same materials and layers as you did. If it’s 12" then the specs you listed are probably correct.

The closest forum list to Jonesboro would be the Memphis list in post #2 here but it’s a fair drive away. It also includes the closest factory direct manufacturer I’m aware of that would probably make two sided mattresses.

I did take a quick look around the Jonesboro area and these are the better “possibilities” I could see based on the information on their site. I’ve also included the manufacturers they carry that I would consider if I was looking for a mattress in the area but only if they can provide all the information you need about the materials in their mattresses to make an informed choice (see this article).

The list includes all types of mattresses (for others who may read this from the area) but if you are focused on latex then Jamison, Restonic, and Pure Latex Bliss all make latex mattresses although I would phone first to confirm what they have on their showroom floor.

http://furnitureatrelaxstation.com/ Jonesboro, AR. Sleeptronic.

Tucker's Furniture and Appliance - Furniture and Appliances in Rogers, Springdale and Jonesboro AR Jonesboro, AR. Restonic

https://www.cleosfurniture.com/ Jonesboro, AR. Sleeptronic, Capital Bedding

Furniture and Mattress in Jonesboro, Paragould and Blytheville AR | Harris Furniture Jonesboro, AR. Jamison

Home Furniture and Mattreses in Paragould, Jonesboro and Walnut Ridge AR | Homeplace Furniture Paragould, AR. Pure Latex Bliss, Restonic.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/carls-furniture-galleries-paragould Paragould, AR. Dutchcraft?

Phoenix

You are so informed about mattresses…I read your story, but still am amazed by your amount of knowledge. Thank you!

Could you please steer me in the right direction with a problem I am having before I invest in a new mattress? I have Fibromyalgia and low back pain (sciatica)…my old mattress (S&F pillowtop) did not aggravate the issues.

Well, since sleeping on the new mattress (that is going back due to a defect) every night my back pain has increased in an area I’ve never had issues with before. A little higher than I would call lower back and a little lower than waist - lumbar?

In your opinion, what should one be looking for if they have “the princess and the pea” syndrome? Joking, but not a laughing matter at the moment due to back pain!

Thanks again,
Terre

Hi restnight,

I would need to know the details about the materials and components inside the mattress to make any meaningful comments about it (including the thickness of the layers) but based on the limited information in your description I would guess that the issue may be in the “soft memory foam” or as you mentioned the layers could be shifting. The “lump” on one side could be from a foam encasement that was the wrong height. It’s difficult to know what may be happening without being able to see the mattress or without more specific information about the materials inside it. The materials that do include the “quality” specs are all good quality materials (1.95 and 2.5 lb polyfoam) but there is also a lot of missing information about the mattress.

Yes … it would be “about” a 70% synthetic and 30% natural blend.

The “value” of a mattress purchase depends on how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP, the quality of the materials, on the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you, and on how it compares to other mattresses you are considering and the other finalists that you are comparing it to. While it is probably more costly than other Talalay latex mattresses that use the same or similar materials … some of the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you (including how well it matches your needs and preferences in terms of PPP) may justify the cost. A mattress is much more than just a “commodity” where the price per inch of foam or the cost per pound of the fabrics or fibers can be used to assess the “value” of a mattress purchase although of course a higher price doesn’t always indicate a better quality mattress or a mattress that is more suitable for you.

Unfortunately … there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to suggest a specific mattress that would be suitable for someone else that can be more accurate than your own personal testing or experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Asking about the specific cause of a particular “symptom” on a mattress would be something like phoning a doctor and asking about the cause of a particular back symptom you are experiencing when they couldn’t see you in person and knew little about you or your specific circumstances (or in this case the mattress you are sleeping on).

Post #2 here and the posts it links to has much more information about some of the more common symptoms that people may experience on a mattress that can help you do the detective work that may be necessary to identify the underlying issue but in some cases … especially when you are dealing with health issues that may put you outside of the “averages” for other people … it can involve some detective work and some good reference points. If I had to guess … I would say that it’s almost certainly an alignment issue and that the mattress may be too soft and that either the comfort layers are either too thick/soft for you or the support layers are too soft (which isn’t likely with the firm zoned innerspring you have).

A forum search on fibromyalgia (you can just click this) will also bring up more posts and discussions with others that are dealing with some of the same issues that may also be helpful although a mattress that works well for one person with fibromyalgia may not work as well for someone else. Again in very general terms you would likely need a design that provided very good pressure relief but where the comfort layers aren’t so thick and soft that you sink down too far into the mattress. If your hip joint is out of its neutral alignment and overextended then it could aggravate the sciatica.

I wish I could be more specific but I can only help with “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose. There isn’t any formula that can be used to choose a mattress for a specific person and it’s as much an art as a science so it’s not really possible for someone else to know which mattress you will do best with out of all the thousands that are available in the market and your own testing and/or experience is really the only reliable way to know which mattress is best for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

I totally get what you are saying and I have no other info on the mattress we are currently sleeping on.

Also, the post # did not come through that you were trying to link me to in the last section of your reply…I’d really like to read that.

Okay, can you tell me if you think the Jamison Lady Lark would be as soft as the mattress I’m sleeping on with the limited info you have?

I have done the Fibromyalgia mattress search, but couldn’t really nail anything down…but came away with more information.

Thank you!

Sorry, the post # is there! Maybe I wasn’t signed in…sorry.

Hi restnight,

I did some editing and added some missing links shortly after I first clicked submit (sometimes I’m not quite finished a post or miss some information on the first try) :slight_smile:

There really isn’t any way for me to know because none of the “comfort specs” are in the description you listed for your mattress (and would be very difficult to “translate” into different materials where softness and firmness is measured differently anyway).

If your original specs for the Lady Lark turn out to be correct then most people would consider it to be a very soft mattress with 6" of soft latex in the comfort layers (19 - 21 ILD). This would be very pressure relieving but could be a little risky for some people in terms of alignment.

Some people with fibromyalgia also do better with a quilting layer of polyfoam or fibers (such as wool) above the latex which can help create a little less resilient and more “relaxed” sleeping surface but once again each person can be very different.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I know you feel our pain…very difficult decision finding a mattress you have a “love” relationship with!

Have you any info on Shifman…I Googled small mattress manufacturers of two sided mattresses. The Masters Collection looks so much like our old S&F, but the weight! I couldn’t flip that much weight if I wanted to!!!

Terre

Hi restnight,

Shifman makes a range of mattresses that are two sided and range from very high budget versions that use all good quality materials to lower budget versions (at least relative to other Shifman mattresses) that use lower quality materials that I would be cautious about. For most people … they certainly wouldn’t be in the best value range compared to other similar mattresses. A forum search on Shifman (you can just click this) will also bring up more feedback about them but like any other mattress … I would need to know the specifics of the construction and the materials inside the particular model you are considering (which they may not be willing to provide) because outside of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the materials inside it regardless of the name on the label.

I certainly wouldn’t assume that their higher price makes them any “better” than many lower budget options that use the same or similar quality materials and are in much lower budget ranges and for me to consider them there would need to be a “compelling reason” where a particular mattress was so much better than anything else I could find that it justified the high cost.

Phoenix

Thanks for your input…kind of what I suspected. You’re the best!

Terre