Kindly need help purchasing a new mattress [Phoenix]

Hi Phoenix,

Firstly, thank you for all of the information on this website/forums. I am in the market for a new mattress and have been for quite some time. Embarrassingly enough, I have a ~10 year old dirt cheap name brand innerspring from Sleepy’s that has over 2 1/4" sinking in the center. I have done a fair amount of research and originally thought bedinabox was the way to go (because of the reviews on sleeplikethedead.com. After finding and browsing this website, I became informed that this should not be the case.

I have read a fair amount of your posts on the forums and would kindly appreciate your advice on a purchase. I am in the market for a queen mattress, am 180lbs and will be sleeping with my 110lb girlfriend. I am thoroughly confused about which mattress type I would prefer (latex, memory foam, or a hybrid [ruled out innerspring])-- simply because I have never tried any of them. However, from reading these forums, I came to the conclusion that I would prefer latex simply because it is more durable and resilient than memory foam; but would prefer to go to a local store and try a few.

Browsing your posts, I tentatively decided that I may ultimately order from Brooklyn Bedding or its sister company Dreamfoam. More specifically, UD Eurotop from Dreamfoam, and the 14" Aloe Alexis from BB. My budget is about $1500-1600 at the highest, but I wouldn’t mind going down a little in $ for similar value. I want for both of us, my girlfriend and I, to be able to sleep “well” for as many years as possible (probably 6-7 before getting a King).

For additional information, I am a side sleeper and prefer somewhat of a firmness feeling with a top layer of soft/‘plushness’ (the innerspring I sleep on now was too firm so I put a memory foam topper on it years ago – as I had too much pain in my pressure points). My girlfriend is small/petite and has a few bulging and 1 herniated discs in her back – however, for the most part, does not have chronic pain.

In addition to your input on the abovementioned details, I suppose my questions are:

1. I live in zip code 10306, do you know of any mattress stores in the surrounding area that have high quality / value mattresses that I could at least try? If you are not aware of any, do you know what mattresses I can try (even at a Sleepys) just to get an idea of what the two mattresses I am considering (or any that you may suggest) feel like?

2. How would I make the decision between the two mattresses I mentioned, in consideration of the price difference (the Aloe Alexis and UD Eurotop)

3. Are there any high quality / value mattresses I am overlooking that I should consider?

Thank you again for the invaluable information you have provided on these forums – and thank you in advance for taking the time out to help me. I very much appreciate it.

Hi vizion1208,

I would completely agree with you that some local testing on some different types of mattresses would be a good idea to help you narrow down your choices and to get a better sense of which type of mattresses and materials you tend to prefer. All the reading in the world still won’t tell you what you will “feel” on different types of mattresses and materials or which ones you tend to prefer.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Staten Island area are listed in the New York list in post #2 here and the Northern NJ list in post #7 here (they have a fair bit of overlap). You will need to check their websites or call them to see if any of them have mattresses that are similar to the two you are looking at (latex/polyfoam hybrids). I would also keep in mind that none of them are likely to be exactly the same in terms of their design or how they feel and perform in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) so they can be useful as a generic guideline and as part of your conversations with Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding when you make your initial firmness choices.

Post #2 here and post #2 here has more about some of the differences between these two mattresses (and others) that may be helpful but which one is “best for you” would depend on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

That’s a little bit too open ended a question for anyone to really answer and there would be many other options available either online or locally. Outside of the local options I linked … the tutorial post includes links to two lists of the better online options I’m aware of in the “optional” online step.

I think though that the first step in your case is to do some local testing to help you narrow down your choices to the type of mattresses and materials that you tend to prefer based on some “real life” testing and experience.

Phoenix