King Split hybrid v all latex - feedback on options?

We have a split queen all latex and seek to add another bed that is a split king. I researched several DIY options and am curious if you can give both general recommendations and feedback on options.

Ideal DIY ish
-Receive in 2 weeks to CA before 2/20 so helpful for guests coming
-Good return policy where they pick up (or we donate). Fee is fine.
-thought we’d like: base either non zoned hybrid or split king (2 twin XLs). Around $1800 ish.

About us: 50M, side and back, wants firm, sleeps hot. 40sF, likes plush like dunlop or talalay over med/firm.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to do a hybrid latex - but not feel the edge support in middle? only in encasement?

2. Looked at sleepEZ but heard the encasement makes top layer too firm? Others did a topper. Wouldnt a topper over a split possibly shift a little and we’d feel split more, particularly if hybrid? Also latex factory or APM?

3. coming from a Flexus queen. Can go to store to try their hybrid.
    It’s split for me med talalay, then med dunlop, then firm then a med buried under. His side: Firm talalay, firm dunlop, firm dunlop. I like it. I am sleeping hotter than ever. We have little kids and they really cuddle up against me when they show up and I end up on the edge.

4. Help we understand the ILD between DIY latexes?

5. Would have been great to do a split eastern king - anyone do that?

I tried for feel in store.
naturepedic: What felt great was EOS trilux. 2 layers latex nicer
custom comfort- all felt too firm

Appreciate recommendations about which way to go. I can also reach avocado, purple (erg), and can just give up and do costco. But DIY latex order this weekend would be fantastic!

Hello buriedunderkids

Thank you for reaching out with your inquiries!

Based on the information provided, if you opt for a DIY hybrid model with pocketed coils and latex, most Twin-Long pocketed coils come with edge support on both edges. This means that if you were to assemble two twin-long mattresses side by side, you would feel the edge support down the middle where the two mattresses meet. However, you may also notice a ‘ridge’ down the middle with an all-latex mattress due to most quilted latex covers finishing with tape-edging, resulting in a slightly firmer feel in the middle when placed side by side, although not as noticeable as with edge-support pocketed coils.

Our quilted cotton and wool covers are designed to fit snug initially to keep the latex layers in place. Made with semi-stretch organic cotton knitting and quilted to about an inch of wool inside, these covers will gradually soften over time with regular usage, allowing for better contouring and pressure relief. While we ship between 25 to 30 mattresses a day, we receive about 2 to 5 inquiries a month regarding the cover feeling a bit firm initially. However, we explain to customers that the snug fit ensures the layers stay in place and that the cover will loosen over time, providing enhanced comfort.

At SleepEZ, we offer four densities - soft, medium, firm, and extra firm - in both Talalay and Dunlop processes. Our soft density has an ILD range of 19-20, medium is 30-32, firm is 38-40, and extra firm is 44. These ILD ranges are similar to those offered by most retailers that carry latex foam.

Based on your information, if you decide to build a DIY Hybrid mattress, I would recommend a 3" soft Talalay comfort layer over Bolsa pocketed coils if you are primarily a side and/or back sleeper and weigh less than 185lbs. For those weighing between 185lbs up to approximately 240lbs, a 3" medium Talalay comfort layer would be suitable.

If you opt for a 3-layer mattress instead, I recommend a soft 3" Talalay over medium 3" Dunlop over firm 3" Dunlop (S/M/F) for side and/or back sleepers under 185lbs. For those weighing between 185lbs and approximately 220lbs and are side and/or back sleepers, a medium 3" Talalay over medium 3" Dunlop over firm 3" Dunlop is recommended. For individuals weighing over 220lbs up to about 260lbs, a Medium Talalay over two firm Dunlop layers is advisable.

If you have more questions or would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us anytime. Happy mattress hunting!

1 Like