Kluft $33,000 mattress construction - can we learn from it ?

now it is obvious that in such a ludicrously priced product most of the design decisions are going to be marketing driven, however that doesn’t mean there isn’t anything to learn from such a design because when cost is no object it gives the designer more freedom to experiment with fringe ideas.

looking at this thing:

a few things look unusual to me:

1 - the sheer amount of fiber of various kinds in relation to foam
2 - the large number of thin layers, as opposed to few thick ones
3 - the placement of fiber layers in between the foam layers

the fiber on top is obviously to improve heat and moisture management - i don’t think that’s too controversial - i will probably try to do something similar with my own mattress, although obviously not on that scale.

but points 2 and 3 is something REALLY interesting. why use so many thin layers of latex with fiber layers sandwiched in between them instead of just throwing a single 6" slab of latex there as Pure Latex Bliss would do ? marketing - sure, but i think there may be legitimate reasons too.

1 - the addition of fiber layers between latex layers allows air to travel sideways between the layers, so if the pin core holes from two layers don’t match up they can still work to facilitate air and movement.

2 - the addition of fiber layers between latex layers allows the latex layers to slide somewhat relative to each other relaxing stresses which might have resulted in discomfort

3 - multiple thin layers of latex, provided they can move at least somewhat relative to each other, will produce a more flexible surface than a single block of latex, and do so without sacrificing much supportiveness ( provided that the fiber layers are thin ).

4 - at the same time as the fibers allow the layers to move they will dissipate the energy of such movement into friction dampening movement in a memory foam like fashion but without the downsides of memory foam such as chemicals and sleeping hot

so the question is - could we adopt some of these strategies to a DIY mattress in the ~ $2,000 price range ? should we ?

Hi g1981c,

IMO … no to both.

You can see some of my thoughts about super premium mattresses in post #2 here and in post #2 here.

If I was looking at mattresses like this … i would probably be looking at VI Springs or perhaps Hastens, Savoir, Relyon, or Hypnos rather than Kluft. Their sites will give you lots of insights about how they make their mattresses. Most of them also have some fairly thick “books” of information they will send you about their mattresses.

Phoenix