With help from TMU, we are down to two TMU endorsed member stores to choose from. All components of their latex beds are pretty much on par with each other, with a couple of exceptions. One is more local to us w/out organic wool option in their organic bed but throwing in organic sheets, and the other is out-of-state w/ organic wool option in their organic bed throwing in natural sheets. Besides that, their policies & warranties are the main elements that seem to differentiate them from each other. Based on those facts and the policy & warranty info below, which store would be the more optimal choice?
In-state We have already visited and we wouldn’t have to deal with shipping/handling fees as we’d have the option to drive it to and from.
The more local store has the following warranty from their site:
[i]90 Day Layer Exchange
Because our ultimate goal is that you buy a mattress that fits your needs, within 90 days of the invoice date, you may exchange one layer of latex. The cost for return shipping will be only $65.00. We will ship a new layer to you at no additional cost. This is a one time exchange only. This is how it works:
- You sleep on the mattress for 30 days to allow your body to adjust to your new sleeping surface.
- After 30 days, you have 60 days to contact us and request a layer exchange.
- We will ship a new layer to you, along with a return label for your exchange.
- You ship the old layer in the box where your new layer was received and adhere the return label to the box.
90 Day Return Policy
We also offer a 90 day full refund on our Natural Comfort latex mattresses only. We ask that you sleep on the mattress for at least 30 days to allow your body to properly adjust to the mattress. If after 30 days you feel that the mattress does not meet your needs, you may return it for a full refund. You will be charged a $99 return fee if you use our boxes and return labels. There are no restocking fees.
All sales are final and non-returnable on foundations and bed clothes items such as, mattress toppers, pillows, mattress protectors, and mattress sheets.
If any of these items are given as a gift at the time of purchase and the mattress is returned. The refund will be the purchase price of the mattress minus the retail price of the gift(Free) items.
30 Year Non Pro-Rated Warranty (For Latex Mattresses)
We warrant it’s handcrafted, exclusively designed mattress to the original purchaser against defects in workmanship and materials, excluding the fabric cover, when properly supported by its original base. This warranty does not extend to bends, burns, tears, soil, normal wear and tear, or the results of abuse not caused by us.
Should the mattress fail to meet the provisions of this warranty, the purchaser may return it to us at the purchaser’s expense. We will inspect the mattress and if found to be defective will, at its discretion, repair or replace the mattress at no charge to the purchaser during the warranty period. We may substitute like-quality materials if the original materials are no longer available. Transportation of the repaired or replaced mattress is the sole responsibility of the purchaser. A center-supported bed frame or bedstead must be used for the queen or king mattress or this warranty is void.
Our Warranty does not cover the following:
- The fabric mattress cover if provided.
- Slight body impressions (less than 1 inch)
- Comfort preference.
- Transportation charges for return and shipping when necessary.
- Abuse or unsanitary conditions.
- When the mattress used on an inappropriate foundation or box spring.[/i]
Out-of-state Can’t visit and we would have to pay the shipping/handling, but we would like an all organic bed (i.e., organic cotton & wool).
That store has the following warranty from their site:
[i]90-Day Comfort Exchange
Select Sleep Mattresses
In order to take the risk out of selecting the right mattress, we have a 90-day layer swap out policy on latex mattresses. For your first layer swap out we reduce the cost of shipping to a modest $30 charge for any location in the contiguous U.S. For mattresses with split layers, you can send one or both sides of a layer at the same cost, if they are shipped at the same time.
To make sure you are not inconvenienced in any way, the procedure is as follows:
- Notify us of the desired firmness with our over the phone assistant.
- We ship you a brand new layer of your desired firmness along with a shipping label for your return layer.
- Return the layer you no longer need, in the same box we shipped your replacement layer in.
- You will need to place the provided shipping label on the box and drop it off at any Fed EX shipping center.
- The replacement layer is taken from production. All layers are brand new.
- The 90-day comfort exchange starts from the first day you receive your mattress.
- Shipping for the first exchanged layer is $30. The purchaser is responsible the full cost of shipping for any additional layer exchanges. Any layer exchanges done 90 days or more after receiving your mattress would be the actual cost of purchasing the raw latex layers.
- Exchange layers must be free from dirt, stains, tears, and odors to qualify for an exchange.
Select Sleep Mattresses
Please keep your shipping boxes should you have to return merchandise.
Within 90 days of receiving your mattress, if you are not satisfied, you may return it with no questions asked. You will be charged a $99.00 return fee if you use our boxes and return label. Please note: If you use an oversized box or if you ship your order back in more boxes than we shipped the order out with, we will have to charge you the actual cost of any additional fees.
If you need to purchase shipping boxes, call (480) 966-8731 to get box dimension approval.
The mattress and layers inside must be free from dirt, stains, tears, and odors to qualify for a return.
Manufacturer’s Mattress Warranty
- Our mattresses are designed to last for many years with proper care. This does not include components purchased individually.
- If you purchased one of our mattresses that can open, you will see the latex and all its imperfections. You may find air voids, discoloration, or small tears or cracks (less than 3 inches). Also, latex turns yellow and begins to soften slowly as it ages. These occurrences are normal, and are a natural property of latex, and the manufacturing process that creates the latex layers. The warranty does not apply to the normal properties of latex.
- The warranty allows for a 1.5" impression in the latex, not associated with a faulty foundation, box spring, platform, or cover.
- Our mattresses are intended to perform on non-spring foundations. Using a platform such as an adjustable base or slatted foundation, with slats placed no more than 3 inches apart, is recommended. Foundations with springs will cause premature breakdown of the latex and will not be covered under warranty.
20-Year Limited Mattress Warranty
- We cover the first ten years unconditionally against manufacturing defects in the latex. The purchaser will not pay for the repair or replacement of a component; however, they are responsible for all shipping costs.
- We do not cover components purchased separately.
- After the 10th year, there is a prorated cost to repair or replace the mattress components. A repair in the 11th year will cost 50% of the original cost of the mattress. Each year after that will increase by 5% in cost. (12th year 55%, 13th year 60%, 14th year 65%, 15th year 70%, 16th year 75%, 17th year 80%, 18th year 85%, 19th year 90%, 20th year 95%.)
- Our representative or skilled technician shall make the final determination regarding repair or replacement. Should this warranty be exercised and your product replaced or repaired, the warranty will not be extended or renewed.
- Raw latex exposed to direct sunlight will void the warranty.
- Sleep EZ is not responsible for any damage caused by spills, burns, accidents, growth of mold, or other acts of nature.
- The warranty does not cover misuse, laundered, or normal wear and tear. Do not machine wash or dry the cover. We recommend you spot clean with a soft brush and mild detergent. Allow to air dry completely.
- Stains on mattress will void all warranties due to bedding law regulations.
- Please retain all original receipts or invoices to provide proof of purchase.
- Authorization from the factory to return products must be obtained prior to return.
- Pillows are a non-returnable item.
- Sleep EZ will repair or replace the item if it is found to be defective due to structural defects within the 20 years.
We provide a 1-year warranty for the cover from the date of purchase. It applies to defects in material or workmanship and is not part of the 20-year warranty. Do not machine wash or dry the cover. We recommend you spot clean with a soft brush and mild detergent. Allow to air dry completely.
The foundation has a 1-year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship, and we will repair or replace at our cost based on our assessment of defect or damage.
All warranty issues should be handled by the adjustable base manufacturer.
Our latex toppers are not covered under warranty because we have no way of ensuring that the topper will not be used for camping and other activities that will cause the latex to become dirty, wet, etc. leading to premature breakdown.
All sales on mattress components, including raw latex layers, mattress covers, pillows, sheets, and mattress protectors are final. These items are not covered by any warranty.