Latex bed purchase question

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 100% organic all natural tally bed for my husband and I. I have fibromyalgia and herniated discs. Both my husband and I are both on the taller and larger side. I have narrowed down my purchase to either Flobeds or Astrabeds.

However, upon researching here I have noticed Astrabeds is not necessarily recommend. I was mainly going to purchase from them based on their warranty as I liked that they would replace if there was an indentation of 3/4 an inch whereas Flobeds was 1" and they only have the full warranty for 5 years and then its prorated.

Is this something I should even be worrying about? What recommendations for layering/ILD’s do you have for me with our size and health issues? And should I go for a 10" mattress or the one with the most interchangeable layers at 12"?

Thanks,
Melissa

Hi ellabellablue,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices all in one place. It also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell online and many of these (including Flobeds) make latex mattresses with a wide range of options, features, exchange or return policies, and designs.

You’ve probably read this but you can see some of my thoughts about Astrabeds in post #2 here and post #3 here (they are more of a marketing company than a mattress company) and a forum search on Astrabeds (you can just click this) will bring up more information about them as well.

No … not in my opinion. The materials in the mattress are the biggest single factor in durability (not the warranty exclusions) and both of them use good quality latex (although Flobeds has the option of 100% natural or blended Talalay which is a little more durable than the 100% natural in softer ILD’s).

A more detailed phone conversation with each manufacturer would be the best source of guidance about which of the options they have would have the highest odds of success based on their experience and the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). They will know more about their mattresses and which ones are likely to be the best match for you in terms of PPP than anyone else (including me).

I would base this on your conversations with each manufacturer. There is more about some of the potential tradeoffs of thicker layers or mattresses in post #14 here. There is also more about the potential benefits of having more layers vs less (and it would also depend on which layers can be exchanged) in post #2 here. Flobeds also offers split layering (different firmness levels on each side) and their custom vZone which can also be helpful for those with a body type that is more challenging to “fit” to a mattress. Which is “better” would really depend on your individual circumstances and on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you because one set of options isn’t necessarily “better” than another unless you would benefit from them.

Phoenix

Thank you! I will look through the posts you mentioned and write down some questions to ask both companies.