latex mattress for rv couch/bed

Hi,
I am wanting to replace most if not all of the cushion in my rv couch mattress. I’ve attached a pic of the supporting spring system. Is it possible to use latex in this case? In my old rv I replaced the cushion with latex but it was on a solid platform. I like a firm mattress with a bit of softness in the very top layer- 5’7" 155 lbs. Thanks for your help. Kathleen Becker

Hi Katealeen,

Thanks for the post. Firstly, you can use latex in an RV, but given the structure of the foundation, in my opinion, it would be better to find a HD poly foam base that is 3-4 inches thick, then the top 3-4 inches would be latex comfort layers (not sure if 5-7" is maximum height). The poly foam is needed to provide the structure of the bottom of the mattress, given the supporting spring image you attached.

One of our trusted members is Sleep EZ and I know they have some RV mattresses with latex on this RV mattress page. .

Another option some people do is getting a 2 or 3-inch latex topper and putting it over a simple 5" high-density poly foam base. More work going the DIY route but people have mentioned this in the past.

Good luck.

Thanks
Sensei

Hello, Katealeen.

It does appear that the spaces between the springs is pretty great, which may result in sagging. If there is some sort of fabric across the top of the springs on which the mattress is placed (as it does appear in the picture), as long as that is tight and secure, you should not have an issue with a foam product. At Quality Sleep Shop, we use high-quality, low-VOC CertifPUR foams and have many options for creating custom mattresses, something that we do often for customers with semi trucks, RVs & campers as well as custom or antique furniture pieces in the home. Give our owner, Tim, a call at 708-246-2224 and he can give you some options.

Best,
Quality Sleep Shop