Latex mattress in San Diego area

Wanted to chime in here and thank you all for this invaluable resource. I have been lurking for the last couple of months and you all have really opened my eyes to the mattress scene.

I am in the San Diego area and our Banner Mattress “no flip” spring mattress is awful. I am heavier than my wife and there is a noticeable indentation where I sleep and slight indentation on her side…resulting in a comically large mound in the middle. If our toddler ever manages to get in our bed, he is going to have to snuggle extra close to one of us since sleeping on the mound is impossible.

Surprise Surprise, we need a new bed! Looking at all the intro articles and trying to determine our PPP, I had mentally settled on a pure latex mattress. We visited Escondido Mattress Factory and REALLY liked it…but I was NOT ready for the price. $2400 for the king mattress, springs, and delivery. Super nice guy, really desperately want to support him, but that was WAY more than we budgeted. Our last king bed was closer to $1000, so I put the number closer to $1500 for this purchase.

So I have scoured this site to see what kind of compromises I could make and really can’t seem to find much lower than around $2000 for a latex mattress and something to put it on (we would get rid of our current boxes and we don’t have a frame).

Then I came across your last link Tuft and Needle (Mattress in a Box- Best Foam Mattresses Online | Tuft & Needle) which seems VERY different than what I was looking for…but I am astonished by the positive reviews and their philosophy. I would be fine paying $500 for a new bed every 5 years…but it seems almost too good to be true. I also know they are releasing a 10" thickness mattress “soon” and I am tempted to wait for that.

Anyways, now I am even more torn, we liked the latex we laid on at Escondido mattress, we DID NOT like the latex we laid on at Ikea (felt the slats, immediately uncomfortable)

Anything I am missing here? I really don’t like memory foam mattresses (I sink in to them) and after my latest spring mattress, I am done with those. Sorry if this is a rambling mess, but hey, it is a first post :slight_smile:

Hi Timmdogg,

I would keep in mind that the only way to know whether a mattress is a good match in terms of PPP is based on your own testing or personal experience. While reading about different materials or types of mattresses can certainly be helpful and some types of materials appear to be more desirable than others based on their “specs” or durability … I would make sure that you keep all your options open until your testing has confirmed what your reading indicated.

If a lower cost mattress or a “futon type” polyfoam mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then it can certainly make a good “value” choice and in the case of Tuft and Needle they use good quality materials. They also have a good return policy so if your conversations with them indicate that it would be a good match for you then the risk of trying it is certainly lower. Of course one of the benefits of polyfoam is that it’s a much lower cost material than latex.

I would keep in mind that there are many different types of innersprings and an innerspring is not likely to be the weak link of a mattress. It’s usually the comfort layers which are the first to soften and break down so depending on the quality of the materials, an innerspring can make a good choice for people who prefer it as long as the layers above the springs are good quality and durable materials.

You certainly have other options available with different combinations of materials you may want to test in both the San Diego area and online that would be in your budget range so it would really depend on how much time you have available to research or test other mattresses either locally or on the phone and on how you feel about continuing your research or whether you are comfortable with what you have already tested or considered.

Phoenix

Hi, I live in San Diego and am shopping for a king sized latex mattress. I’m interested in 100% natural latex, organic materials, high quality product which will last at least 10 years, green manufacturing processes if possible, made in the USA, and better yet made in California, a showroom where I can test try out the mattress options, delivery to my bedroom, and a store that will haul away my old mattress and boxspring. I intend to put the mattress on a platform bed.

I like what I’ve read about Escondido Mattress Factory .

How about Mattress Makers? Anybody on this forum have experience with them?

Are there any other San Diego area mattress maker that I should consider?

Any advice for buying a quality latex mattress in San Diego would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Euro-Flex on Morena Blvd., mentioned in my post above, might fill most of those requirements but is not for the budget-conscious.

Healthy Back in Hillcrest…I think they have an all-natural option.

I came across https://www.purerest.com this past week, I think from some post on this forum. Haven’t visited their showroom, but they seem big on organic/natural options.

Ikea has one all-natural latex mattress, the Morgongava. As best I can tell, the latex is continuous-pour Dunlop, made in the U.S. by Mountain Top Foam. Not sure if the cover is natural, or if it is imported. The mattress is on display in at the Mission Valley store.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

I was interested in PureRest until I read the negative reviews of their sister brand EcoBaby on Yelp:

I suppose I should go visit these places in person.

Hi CthulhuDreams,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices (including how to test a mattress to make sure that it’s a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP).

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the San Diego area and some comments about them are listed in post #2 here of this topic.

There are some comments about the FTC action in post #6 here. They use good quality materials but they had their own so called “testing certification” called NAOMI that was making some claims that weren’t supported (see post #4 here) and they were the only member so this was somewhat deceptive.

They certainly use good quality materials (100% natural Dunlop latex) in their mattresses but so do many other manufacturers or retailers so it’s always important to make sure you make good comparisons based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

That would be a good idea :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Cthulu

I couldn’t believe this thread popped up today. I was literally buying our mattress when this thread alert came through. We are up in Covina, CA and just purchased our mattress at FlexusComfort (Latex Mattresses, Organic Latex Mattress, Pocket Coil Mattress - Flexus Comfort).

I believe it meets all your requirements. We drove up here this morning from San Diego to try it out. The biggest difference they offered at Flexus is the His/Hers firmness layers and it was 10" versus the Escondido mattress that only offered a single 6" one firmness. It was a fantastic price as well.

Also, for those budget minded folks, they offer Bill Me Later so we are spreading the payments over 6 months.

10" NATURAL COMFORT MATTRESS - EKING-HIS 3" 22-24 ILD 3" 31 ILD 3" ILD HERS 22-24 ILD 3" 45 ILD 3" 45 ILD $1,745.00

You can try the Latex mattress out in their showroom and they also sell shredded latex pillows, which my wife was a huge fan of. They are going to make the mattress on Monday and then deliver it next week. I worked with the owner Henry (who gave me his personal cell to help coordinate) he was amazing.

Hope this helps, good options in Southern CA.

Hi Timdogg,

I love synchronicity in action!

As you know I think highly of Flexus and I think you are certainly making a great choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update that our Flexus Latex mattress arrived yesterday, they actually drove it down from Covina to San Diego for us and set it up on our slats. Opened the cover and went over the latex densities with me just to make sure they had everything right and that the his/hers firmness levels were on the right side for how we normally sleep.

Only one night of sleep on it but it is blindingly obvious that this was the right choice and that our search for the right mattress is finally over. Any San Diego friends out there, I strongly recommend you checking these folks out. They aren’t far away and did delivery and set up for free. Salvation Army in our area will even pick up your old mattress for free, which was a concern of mine. Hope this helps, big thanks to Phoenix and other members of the forum for helping me find the right fit.

Hi Timmdogg,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it!

I think “blindingly obvious” is a good thing and it sounds like you made a great choice and won’t have to repeat the process of looking for a mattress for many years to come :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I can’t tell you how helpful this site has been in beginning my search for a latex mattress in San Diego. We went by Real Deal on Saturday and they were excellent. Of course, we loved the “World’s Best Bed” model, but it’s before spending this much money on a mattress, I needed to do some research.

My wife and I will be visiting the following over the next week:

Pure Rest Organics
Escondido Mattress
Berkeley Ergo
Flexus Comfort

So far, just based on price and mattress thickness, Flexus Comfort appears to be the value leader with a 13" latex mattress in king for $2350. But I suppose the truth is in the laying. I will be sure to review all the materials that Phoenix has written prior to our next visit.

I’m just wondering how Flexus can offer 13" for $2350 relative the pricing I’ve seen for Pure Latex Bliss World’s Best Bed at 12". We’ll see how they feel. I suppose it has something to do with the price difference between the dunlop and talalay, but it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Thanks again. I’m quite certain we would have made a mistake without this site and based our decision purely on immediate comfort, not taking all the other necessary factors into account.

Hi anonymous,

Pure Latex Bliss has higher margins than most smaller manufacturers such as Flexus (although this will depend to some degree on the retailer as well) and they use MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) as well which is controlled by the manufacturer so that they don’t lose the business of all the other manufacturers that they also supply to that use Latex International latex in their mattresses. The cost of blended Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop is fairly comparable and while PLB is certainly “better than average” in terms of quality and “value” compared to most mainstream options … they aren’t usually in the same “value range” as many smaller manufacturers. Post #32 here also includes some retailers that sell online and ship across the country that you can call and talk to and make some price comparisons for PLB mattresses.

You are certainly looking at some good options and I’ll be interested in seeing what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

We’ve been looking for a 100% latex mattress in San Diego to replace a not so old spring mattress for which we paid a small fortune. Been perusing your blog and the “sleep like the dead” blog. Found very useful information. Thank you! We knew what we wanted: at least 12" thick mattress customizable layers (firm, medium, soft) and sides (his and hers), !00% natural BOTANICAL Dunlop and Talalay latex offerings, cotton/wool zippered coverings, etc. Problem is there are very few places in San Diego that offer all of the above. We did find a “Savvy Rest” dealer here in San Diego that had all that we needed and several mattresses set up to try. We decided on a combination (and luckily we both liked the same layer combo–3" Firm Dunlop, 2 x 3" Medium Dunlop, and a 3" Soft Talalay topper in CA King size. The problem was the Savvy Rest dealer wanted $5,249 + tax! That was way overpriced, in my opinion, even if all the components were “organic” which seemed to be their main pitch. I did find an alternative that was not mentioned in your blog but was mentioned in “sleep like the dead”: Foam Sweet Foam. They are based in Anaheim, CA. So after looking at the FSF website I saw that the 12" CA KING mattress was on sale from $4,600 to $2,999, and they had an additional $300 coupon off the sale price to boot (through Monday). Same deal/offering: customizable layers, 100% natural latex in Dunlop and Talalay, ect.

Just to be sure I drove to Anaheim to try out the mattresses at their showroom. Large selection of different combinations to help you choose. Glad I did, not all latex is the same firmness. In the end we chose 3" extra firm dunlop, 3" firm dunlop, 3" medium dunlop, and 3" soft talalay layers. Total price (with two king size latex pillows) was $3,049 (tax included!), free delivery, 30 day one free layer replacement tryout period, 30 year warranty, and 60 return policy (but with a 18% return fee) and have it in stock (we expect delivery middle of next week). Checked them out on the BBB and they have an a+ rating. Putting this info here to help your readers give them another option.

The other place? I gave them chance to match FSF. Response: best we can do is $4,600 + tax delivered to our home (in a month!). They kept pitching the organic angle and reminded me I got two free latex pillows with our purchase. LOL, can you believe it? I get to pay almost $2,000 more just to get 2 free pillows? It may be called Savvy Rest, but certainly not a Savvy Purchase. I asked them who manufactured/supplied their latex mattresses and they said Savvy Rest made its own. I did not believe that for a minute, and even their blog mentions a latex mattress supplier which they don’t mention by name. SFS mattresses are made by Latex International and and Latex Green. Will report back when we get our mattress.

P.S., Keep up the good work!

Hi vic62,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

As you probably know … FSF is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry.

You certainly made a great choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Savvy Rest certainly doesn’t make their own latex. Their 100% natural Talalay is made by Radium and their organic Dunlop is made by CoCo latex. They are both closely equivalent in terms of quality to the 100% natural Talalay and organic Dunlop that FSF uses in their mattress.

Phoenix

Greetings Phoenix, and thank you so much for this informative site. Your integrity shines through and is greatly appreciated. After finding Mattress Underground I stopped wasting time in showrooms and began making myself an informed consumer. It did not take me long to decide on a latex replacement.

We live in the San Diego area where a change to king size had us seeking a new mattress. We spent the past 15 years comfortably on a firm innerspring Simmons mattress, and wanted a firm replacement.

We started our local search at Escondido Mattress Factory . The 8-10 mattresses on display seemed well made, and though my wife found the ambiance lacking, I was impressed with fair pricing, knowledgeable owners, and quality beds which could be custom made. Also the combination of quality spring foundation topped with Talalay latex felt great. They had a side-by-side comparison set-up with identical latex layers atop spring and non-spring foundations making it easy to feel the difference. Those who want to rotate their mattress, would likely appreciate the simplicity of a single latex layer over a spring foundation. However, their returns/exchanges policy and inability to re-layer or customize the mattress after purchase sent us elsewhere.

Next was MattressMakers. Pablo was very knowledgeable and helpful. The showroom was clean and bright and with about 20 different mattresses set up, it offered an excellent variety of quality latex and hybrid mattresses. However, none were 100% Talalay which was something I really wanted to try. I couldn’t get past the “dead” feeling of the denser Dunlop cores. The inner springs in the hybrids were tempting and did add bounce and resiliency. Pablo’s pricing seemed fair, quality excellent, and he was doing a nice business making custom mattresses for RVs and boats as well.

Next was the Healthy Back Store in Encinitas. Beds seemed good, mass-production, quality, but high prices and limited variety left me disappointed. The salesperson was friendly but not very knowledgeable.

Last local store was Scripps Natural Mattress in Carlsbad. The owner was friendly, and knowledgeable. The beds came in a variety of configurations, were very comfortable and very well-made, but with a price about 50% higher than competitors, seemed targeted to an upscale market. The showroom was small, clean and comfortable with about 6-7 offerings on display.

After handling and laying on latex materials at local retailers, and preferring feel of 100% Talalay latex for its combination of firm, soft, support and springy resiliency. We contacted online retailers Arizona Premium Mattress Company (APMC) and SleepEz to try a custom build. Both were very competitively priced, and knowledgeable – in line with reviews on your site. Main differences between the two seemed to be that APMC was a bit cheaper, but SleepEz offered faster delivery (by several weeks). Also, APMC used fewer layers (a single 6" core as opposed to SleepEz who uses only 2" and 3" layers), thereby sacrificing post-purchase layering flexibility for a claimed better performing mattress. Though I didn’t compare the two, I’m not convinced there is much difference as once the layers are zipped into a snug-fitting, quilted mattress cover there isn’t any noticeable movement of layers.

We ended up buying a 100% “organic” Talalay set from SleepEz. Shawn was very helpful. When I told him our weights (110-160 lb range), habits (one back sleeper and one side sleeper), and preference for a firm bed, he suggested the Latex 9000 with soft topper only 2" thick rather than 3". Happy to report that after sleeping on the bed for over one month we are both very pleased with result. The bed is a dream and we’ve both settled on identical layering of: F-3", M-3", S-2" (from the bottom up).

More take-aways:

1. The boxes are large and heavy. Be prepared to handle them.
  2. Assembly of the two twin-size SleepEz wood foundations was a breeze. Little effort required and we completed both in only 15-20 minutes.
  3. Constructing the mattress went amazingly quickly. In less than 45 minutes I unpacked and assembled the mattress. I’ve re-arranged the foam layers multiple times since by myself. An able-bodied adult should be able to manage it in about 15 minutes.
  4. My apprehension about a split top layer separating down the middle appears unfounded. We used the quilted cover, and once zipped-up, the layers are held pretty tightly together and a high friction factor keeps layers from sliding against each other.
  5. What you feel in a showroom may not be replicated at home. A thick quilted cover, plus mattress protector, etc. can change the feel significantly, adding stiffness and isolating you from the plushness of the soft, top, “comfort layer”. Trying to contain and protect the mattress, while preserving the wonderful, comforting, feel of a soft Talalay latex top layer can be a challenge.
  6. While I did not try it, I suspect using a thinner, non-quilted, jersey-type mattress cover, could improve feel, but might allow “split” layers to drift apart creating a gap.
  7. SleepEz added two “free” pillows in either solid or shredded latex. We chose shredded, which was a mistake. We found them to heavy, thick, lumpy, and uncomfortable (at least in king size). Attempts to improve them by removing some of the shredded fill simply made a mess, and created pillows which looked and handled like loose sacks of potatoes.
  8. The bed is so comfortable as first configured, we’ve kept it that way and love it, but I did experiment with F-3", F-3", S-2" for her (back sleeper), and M-3", M-3", S-2" for me (side sleeper). She found little difference - happy with either. I found the M-M-S provided insufficient support, leaving me “sinking” into the mattress.
  9. I was curious to see if exchanging the 2" topper for a 3" would be even more comfortable, but didn’t try it since SleepEz says the extra inch in thickness needs their larger mattress cover.
  10. For larger beds with split layers the SleepEz Latex 10000 seems to offer the most possible layering combinations since all layers are the same thickness.

Bottom line: We love our latex mattress! B)

P.S. Anyone want some latex pillows? :lol:

Hi James M,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed comments, feedback, and your insights about your experiences … I appreciate it.

You certainly did some very good research and ended up making a great choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

[quote]7. SleepEz added two “free” pillows in either solid or shredded latex. We chose shredded, which was a mistake. We found them to heavy, thick, lumpy, and uncomfortable (at least in king size). Attempts to improve them by removing some of the shredded fill simply made a mess, and created pillows which looked and handled like loose sacks of potatoes.
P.S. Anyone want some latex pillows? :lol:[/quote]

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the members here takes you up on your offer because shredded latex is the pillow of choice for many people. If someone is interested then of course they can PM you and you can work out details like pricing and delivery.

If you are in the market for a new pillow then the pillow topic here may be helpful.

Phoenix

My wife and I just got a Talalay Pure Bliss from Wyckes Furniture and I feel 20 years younger. I was having incredible back pains at night for 6-8 months and figured it was part of aging and just deal with it. My wife talked me into getting a new mattress and I can actually sleep through the night. The guys at Wyckes were knowledge and had a very relaxed approach and let us lay and try mattress for hours. We select the Latex because it by far had the best feel and this was the best decision of my life I wake up rested and in a much better mood every morning. Checkout Wyckes they were great.

Hi Scotsd,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you found a new mattress that you like :cheer: and had a good experience with your local retailer – thanks for sharing your feedback. The Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses do use good quality materials. I hope you post again with your feedback on the model you chose and how it is working for you once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

PS – I did remove the link in your post, as it does violate forum promotional rules.

While researching for a new mattress I found your excellent site and this thread containing a list of local suppliers. Excellent information!
Unfortunately, the nearest manufacturer to me seems to be out of business, at least temporarily.
On April 1st, 2017, a serious fire occurred at the Escondido Mattress Factory . They have a gofundme page which includes some photos. Click on the Updates button to see the damage.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hi Goughy,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing the sad news about the fire at Escondido Mattress. I’ve added an update to the San Diego list noting this and that they currently have not resumed business. I just spoke with Daniel and he is looking to re-open on July 15th at a new location near the old one, at 432 Venture, Escondido, CA 92029. It will be a “soft” opening and he said it will take him a few months to get things back to where they were with the location change and new equipment.

Phoenix