Latex mattress in San Diego area

Hi, this site is great! I’d appreciate any suggestions regarding where to shop for a Latex mattress in the San Diego area. So far, we’ve liked the feel of the Vera Wang Restful Interlude at Sleep Train and the Stearns & Foster Vila Lucia/Rosa at Macy’s. I’ve read some comments online that the Vera Wang has an upper memory foam layer that will break down, but I don’t know if that’s true for the whole line. We’re hoping to keep the price for a Queen to around $1,500 or worst case $2,000. We don’t need the boxspring because we have a bed with slats.

Thanks!!

• Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I would tend to avoid all of the major brands and chain stores as they generally do not have the value or quality of local manufacturers. The Vera Wang by Serta is one of their “better efforts” but they too have too much polyfoam and/or in the comfort layer of the mattress and they are also overpriced compared to better options IMO.

I wouldn’t consider any Stearns and Foster at all because again they contain too much low quality polyfoam and are way overpriced. Their innersprings are good quality … what is over them usually isn’t and its the comfort layers that are the weak link of a mattress. Even their best efforts are poor value IMO.

There are a few local manufacturers and/or retail direct outlets within 50 miles that may be well worth including in your research. They are …

Mattress Makers Local factory direct manufacturer in San Diego. Makes a range of mattresses with many layering choices including latex (including organic latex), memory foam, and innersprings including custom builds. Pablo is the owner here and he is knowledgeable, open and transparent about the mattresses they make. Good quality and value and well worth including in your research and they are also a member of this site. They are a multi generational manufacturer that has been building mattresses for 45 years and have been factory direct for about 20 years.

Escondido Mattress Factory is a local factory direct manufacturer in Escondido. Makes a two sided 6" latex mattress in your choice of ILD and you can add a topper or use an “active” boxspring to adjust the feel and performance of the mattress in addition to choosing the firmness of the mattress. Also makes latex/innerspring hybrids and traditional mattresses that use higher quality polyfoam and cotton over the innerspring and they also make them 2 sided. Like many smaller manufacturers … they don’t make memory foam because they are reluctant to deal with some of the difficulties (and returns) that are connected to it’s use. They are a member of this site which means I consider them to be among the best quality/value available and have been in business for many years. They are knowledgeable and helpful, provide good service to their customers, and are “good people” to deal with. NOTE ADDED: On April 1, 2017, Escondido Mattress suffered a fire that destroyed their factory and showroom. They re-opened on July 15th at a new location near the old one, at 432 Venture, Escondido, CA 92029.

Euro-flex.com Local factory direct manufacturer in San Diego. Has 3 latex mattresses which are high quality and use good materials but also a little pricey compared to other similar mattresses.

Purerest.com Factory direct manufacturer in San Diego.Makes a range of Dunlop latex mattresses including choose your own layering and focusing on organic materials. Their retail outlets may have lower prices than the prices listed on their site. They are focused on using the “purest” materials they can find but this also comes with a premium in terms of price and value compared to other similar mattresses.

Comfort Touch Mattress And Adjustable Beds 8055 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92111 - superpages.com factory direct manufacturer in San Diego. Carries both their own design and several other latex mattresses. Some good choices in terms of variety and latex hybrid designs including 2 sided latex mattresses.

comfortpedicmattress.com Factory direct manufacturer with outlets in San Diego, Rancho Cucamonga, San Dimas, and San Marcos. Makes a range of mattresses including latex but tends to focus on “telling stories” and not so much on sharing information about the materials he puts in the mattress. Also seems to be “on the high side” in terms of pricing.

abedderbuy.com Retailer in San Diego. They carry some mainstream mattresses but also carry Spinal Comfort (including an all latex model) and Anatomic Global (memory foam) which both have better value. When I talked with Sonia the owner she was helpful and clearly ethical and informative and committed to providing the best possible quality and value for her customers. Good people that have been in the industry for a long time over several generations.

scrippsnatural.com Retailer in Carlsbad Village, CA. They sell several Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses including 100% natural Talalay latex and 100% natural Talalay latex/pocket coil component mattresses which all use high quality and durable materials.
davisworld.com/store Retailer in San Diego. Carries a wide variety of good quality mattresses including latex … some retail direct … from manufacturers such as Diamond (Ethos, Sweda) which I like. There is some “better than average” value here but they also carry some more expensive premium brands, some mainstream brands, and some lower quality/price imported brands as well.

mattressplacestore.com/stressopedic Retailer in Solana Beach. Carries SpringPedic and Therapedic

seagulldistribution.com Manufacturer San Diego. “Choose your own layers” Dunlop latex mattress with a 6" base and either one or two 2" comfort layers. All layers can be customized for firmness with a zip cover.

thefutonshop.com San Diego, CA. Carries a huge range of futons of all kinds including innersprings, latex, memory foam, polyfoam, and organic wool and cotton.

Ikea in San Diego See post #3 here for mattresses I would consider here.

There are also some wholesale manufacturers that make some better than average quality and value mattresses that have retail store finders on their site that may also have some stores in the area and be worth including in your research.

spinalcarebedding.net Spinal Care Bedding is a local manufacturer based in Gardena, CA that also makes some good quality/value mattresses that includes latex, memory foam, microcoils, and innersprings including some high quality pocket coils and two sided mattresses.

diamondmattress.com Local Wholesale manufacturer in Rancho Dominguez who is making some good quality and value mattresses but make sure you are able to find out the specs of the materials in their mattresses (see post #2 here).

stressopedic.com Regional west coast manufacturer based in Ontario, CA that makes a wide range of a mattresses and is committed to being completely transparent about all the materials in their mattresses.

puretalalaybliss.com Owned by Talalay Global and make a line of natural and blended Talalay latex mattresses.

The Los Angeles list in post #2 here also has some other options that may be in reasonable driving distance for some in the San Diego area.

I would suggest making a few calls to talk with these about what you are looking for and your budget range and to get a sense of what you can expect if you visit them. I would then visit the few that are the most promising as there is a fairly wide range of value and prices among the list for similar mattresses and each person may place more or less value on some of the differences between them.

Good luck and feel free to post with any questions along the way.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! Disregarding prices, how are the mattresses at the Healthy Back Store? I think they are the same as the Pure LatexBliss but under their own name? Is this a good place to check out which type of densities we like and then ask for a local manufacturer to create something similar? I am hoping the local guys have better pricing!

Also I’ve heard conflicting information regarding the use of a slat bed with a latex mattress. We have a slat bed (no boxspring), does this cause a problem for latex mattresses?

Thanks again!

Hi Stuart,

Yes, the talalay latex mattresses at the Healthy Back store are the Pure Latex Bliss. Their published prices are slightly higher than some other outlets I’ve seen for the same mattress. PLB overall is one of the better latex values compared with most chain store outlets and national brands and are great for testing out different layer combinations because the specs are known but most local manufacturers would have better value yet. I would do exactly what you are suggesting using the PLB as a model to “duplicate”.

A rigid slatted foundation or bed is a perfectly appropriate base to use for a latex core mattress (or any foam core) and better than a box spring which is used mostly under an innerspring mattress. As long as the slats are strong, the gap between them is about 2" or less (some beds have the slats too far apart), and there is appropriate center support then it will be fine. You may or may not decide to add a slatted foundation if you need more height but directly on the bed itself is fine as long as the slats provide enough surface area.

While an innerspring can be used if it has a flat and supportive surface area, it will completely change the feel and performance of the mattress and is not necessary or in most cases even desirable.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I wanted to let you know that we stopped by Ortho to check out their mattresses. They do have a Stearns and Foster that is 100% latex but it’s almost $3,000 for a Queen. They also showed me another one that is mostly latex with a foam topper (Italian Garden Villa) that was $2,000 for a Queen. They said their mattress is a continuous pour Dunlop (no pieces). And they were telling me that Dunlop is much better than Talalay (more uniform) and Talalay will wear out?? Is that true? Also they said that theirs is real latex while the latex in the Macy’s Stearns & Foster is “Smart Latex” and not natural latex? But then what’s funny is the Ortho website says Smart Latex for their own mattresses. I guess everybody says that everybody else’s latex is bad.

Also apparently Sleep Train is discontinuing all the Vera Wang latex mattresses. The salesperson said they are not replacing them with any latex mattresses and won’t have any latex at all.

Thanks. B)

• Stuart

Hi Stuart,

While its nice to see a major brand that makes a reasonably good mattress (and Stearns and foster has several), even their best efforts (such as this one) are overpriced and uses the cheapest form of a good material (synthetic blend continuous pour Dunlop). His comments regarding Dunlop and Talalay are funny but unfortunately typical and tells me that he knows little about latex … especially when he is touting a blended Dunlop product that is mostly SBR and continuous pour. Dunlop and Talalay are different and these differences can each be used to advantage in certain layerings and circumstances and can cater to different preferences. You can read a little more about the different types of latex here as well as quite a few of the threads on the forum. Dunlop blended latex is the lowest quality (and cheapest) latex of all and continuous pour (vs molded) is the least expensive version of Dunlop and this is what they use.
Smart latex is made by Sapsa (which Sealy used to own until about a year or so ago) and is a dual pour type of latex which uses various types of inserts to make it “smart”. It’s like a form of zoning.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sapsalatex.com/UK/Gamme-produits/smart-dual.php

This type of misinformation is part of the reason why I included them “just for reference” rather than as a real source of value in mattresses. While local manufacturing is usually the best source of information, quality and value … unfortunately this is not always the case. Some of the other outlets on the list would be much better sources of both value and good information.

It doesn’t surprise me when a chain store discontinues a higher quality mattress (even though I certainly wouldn’t recommend the Vera Wang … its at least a somewhat better effort for a major manufacturer). Sleepys has also discontinued the only mattress they had that could be truly be called high quality and decent value (the Pure Latex Bliss). These types of better quality mattresses make some of their other offerings look even worse than they already are.

Thanks for the feedback about Ortho … it certainly confirmed my “suspicions” and the impressions I got from talking with them on the phone.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, we went to Escondido Products to check out their product. They buy the 6" core and wrap it in their cover. Is 6" considered thick enough for a mattress? I know some of the other companies have 10" and higher, but is 6" good enough? We are short so having a lower mattress is actually easier to get in and out of bed.

Also they had different ratings on the foam, for example the one we liked was rated 85-90. How does that translate to ILD?

Thanks!!

• Stuart

Hi Stuart,

85 - 90 is a density measurement used for Dunlop latex and represents kilograms per meter cubed or (kg/m3). It has an approximate relationship to ILD because the denser the Dunlop latex is the firmer it will be. To give you a rough translation, the Latex Green site here shows that 75 ± 5 is soft/medium which would be around 24 - 28, 85 ± 5 is medium firm which would be around 32 - 36, and 95 ± 5 would be extra firm which would be around 40+. This is also somewhat confused because ILD itself is only measured by how much it takes to compress a mattress core 25% of its depth. With Dunlop, it gets firmer faster so if you sink into a Dunlop core more than a Talalay core of the same ILD, it will feel firmer because it takes more force to compress it past 25%.

Probably the only type of latex where a single 6" core would be sufficient would be Dunlop. These are the types of mattress that were sold by Sears long ago and where you hear the stories about them lasting for decades (see video here).

Whether this was thick enough for you would depend on your height and weight distribution and sleeping position. If it provides sufficient pressure relief and good alignment and you are not feeling like you are “bottoming out” when you move around or turn on the mattress, then it is good for you even though it may not be for someone else. If you are a side sleeper and you need more pressure relief, then a latex topper on top of this mattress would be a good option. How thick and soft the topper would need to be would depend again on your “stats” but typically would be in the 2" - 3" range of softer latex (typically Talalay).

When I talked with Rudy and Randy at Escondido, see here Escondido Materials they told me that their core was Talalay however Talalay uses lbs/cu ft for density and ILD for hardness. Dunlop uses the kg/M3 density that you are quoting which makes me think it is Dunlop rather than Talalay.

Either way though … if it works for pressure relief and alignment for you … and you like the overall feel … and it is also good when you move around … then it is good for you. If not … then adding a topper to improve the pressure relief (to a total thickness of about 8-9") would be all you need.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks to your help and this site we did end up buying a 6" latex mattress (and bunky board) from Escondido Mattress Factory . Rudy says they are buying from Latex International but used to buy from Sleep Comp, and I think this may be where the confusion comes in. I believe that they may be ordering from Latex International using the Dunlop density measurements and Latex International converts it to their ILD. Or maybe not.

Regardless, we are happy with our purchase and also are pleased that the mattress is only 6 inches high. Now our kids won’t sleep in their crib-sized mattresses anymore because they’re so uncomfortable compared to mom and dad’s new latex mattress.

We did create a blog post detailing our journey for a latex mattress called The Joy of a Latex Mattress for an Aching Back. Hopefully our thoughts and what we’ve learned will be helpful for others!

Thanks again for your help!

Hi Stuart,

I was wondering who was behind your blog. I noticed it one day when I was looking at the links in my google webmaster account but I didn’t know of course who was behind it. I’m impressed with the quality of your research and the accuracy of the information you put there. I have no doubt it will be helpful to many people. Thanks for the link and the kind words as well :slight_smile:

I think you are probably correct about the source of the confusion between density and ILD and they were probably estimating the Dunlop ILD and then ordering Talalay in the “equivalent” as you mentioned. As an example, 32 ILD blended talalay would be about 4 lbs/cu. ft. which is @ 65 kg/cu m. Natural Talalay would be heavier but still not as dense as natural Dunlop.

In the end … ILD is just a reference point though and not nearly as important as how someone actually feels on their mattress … and it seems that your choice is quite popular with the whole family.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix, and everyone else on this forum.

I’ve been lurking and researching since I’ve been on the prowl for a mattress once again after recently moving.

Anyway, I’ve exhausted the list you posted along with other stores in the San Diego area and cannot seem to find a reputable factory direct manufacturer or retail store in the area.

I realize the list you provided is now almost 2yrs old and it seems much has changed since then in regards to a lot of these stores and what they carry. I definitely plan on updating this thread with a future post to help others navigate the hellish waters of mattress buying with my own personal experiences at each one of these stores.

There are 3 things that are hell to buy: a home, a car and a mattress. And I’d actually place the mattress in 2nd place because in most cases you can’t comparison shop because the system is set up that way. To be crooked and not benefitting the consumer at all.

Anyway, after not being able to find a reputable factory direct manufacturer or store that sells quality off brands I may have to just settle for one of the name brands, Ahhhhhh!!! No!!!

It seems I really have no other choice. This is one of those few times where I wish I lived somewhere else.

Is there any other place in SD that someone can recommend that I might have missed?
And no I’m not interested in driving 2hrs to LA for a mattress, not to mention the delivery cost, ouch!

I want to be able to sleep in a real bed instead of my floor for change.

signed - In America’s finest city but with no mattress :frowning:

PS: I’m looking specifically for memory foam

Hi mattress buying Hell,

I’d certainly love to hear your feedback about your San Diego experiences and any updates that you think would be helpful but the San Diego list itself was last edited on March 27th of this year (I edit most of the forum lists as new information comes to light). The current list originates from a larger list of over 55 stores or manufacturers that I am aware of in the area based on research dating from July/2012 (the rest I wouldn’t normally consider).

No matter how up to date a list may be though … there can always be good options that I miss or aren’t aware of and as you mention things can change quickly in the industry so feedback from the members here is always valuable which in turn can be used to update any of the lists on the forum and help those who follow. :slight_smile:

The first criteria for any of the lists is that that a manufacturer or retailer is open and transparent about the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses or that the manufacturers of the brands they carry are more likely to have this information available (which usually excludes any retailer that only carries major brands).

There are many memory foam options and choices in the list so it’s surprising to me that you would have run out of good options but if I was in the same position I would personally order a mattress from a reputable memory foam manufacturer online that had a good trial and exchange/refund policy so you could use your actual experience as a test period rather than considering a manufacturer where you have no idea of the quality or durability of what you would be purchasing or have any way to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. Of course my own preferences may be different from someone else but my last choice would be to make a blind purchase that used unknown materials for anything as important (or as costly) as a mattress.

In any case … I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences and your San Diego comments :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ll let the customer comments on Yelp and elsewhere speak for themselves on most of the ones on that list.

For the most part based on my experience, every single manufacturer on that list did not fit the description of reputable dealer, retailer, or manufacturer as defined by this website. And believe me, I tried them all!

None of them were like the manufacturers you have listed on this site. They could not tell me what is in their mattresses, same thing with the retailers. You were spot on with your description of they’re more interested in telling stories or selling then telling what’s actually in the mattress. Also, a lot of the brands you have listed that they carry, when asked they said they no longer carry them.

So I was not able to find a single one here in SD. I ended up buying a name brand at a discounted price because if they can’t tell me what’s in their mattresses, then what’s the difference? Might as well go with a name brand with a good warranty that you can actually physically try out at a store. I’m sorry but I can’t buy a mattress without trying it out and I wouldn’t recommend anyone to do that either, especially when it’s expensive, good quality or not. This is really not what I wanted which is why I posted here, hoping someone could give me a better option that I might have missed.

Again, in my case I was looking for memory foam and not latex, so maybe for latex it might be better but I really didn’t see much difference their either.

Oh well, at least I’m sleeping on a bed and so far so good. We’ll see how long this one lasts.

Thanks for the help and creating this site Phoenix! Lots of good info. here. Although I broke your number one rule I did end up learning quite a bit in the process. :slight_smile:

Hi Mattress Buying Hell,

[quote]I’ll let the customer comments on Yelp and elsewhere speak for themselves on most of the ones on that list.

For the most part based on my experience, every single manufacturer on that list did not fit the description of reputable dealer, retailer, or manufacturer as defined by this website. And believe me, I tried them all![/quote]

Your mattress shopping methods and criteria are certainly very different from mine or the methods I suggest in the “read first” post. I can also safely say that your research didn’t include them all or even most of them that offer memory foam … but each of us needs to decide on the type of research that we are most comfortable with :slight_smile:

It certainly appears to me that you “missed” most of the better choices that are available to you but at least you are aware of the risks of your choice. While you certainly didn’t make the best quality or value choice IMO … at least it appears to 'fit" your personal value equation no matter what I or anyone else may think.

Even if there is almost nothing available in your area (and there are a few areas like that in the country) … there are also ways of choosing an online mattress where you can test local mattresses that are close equivalents and that also have good options after a purchase if your choice isn’t ideal for your needs and preferences which can greatly reduce the risk of an online purchase (and provide much better quality / value options).

In any case … you made a choice you are happy with which in the end is the most important thing.

Phoenix

We first looked at the big mattress stores for memory foam mattresses…then I started doing research here and SLTD. After trying a few, I think we prefer latex, as you sleep ON it, rather than IN it.

I’m in San Diego, so I found the Latex mattress in San Diego area (https://goo.gl/r10y1) thread. I looked up the yelp ratings of each place, and determined the best places to shop are:

Escondido Mattress Factory
Real Deal Furniture & Mattress
Al Davis Furniture and Mattress World

We are shopping for a California King mattress and I’m now more confused than ever!

First we went to Escondido Mattress Company and spoke with Rudy Koehl. He was VERY nice and NO pressure. They make their own mattresses, which are 6" all natural latex. We laid on a few, and they were ok. We were told that the mattresses should be rotated every month to month and a half. He also said that it was best on a box spring, not a solid base. His price was $1900 for the mattress or $2450 for the full set, including new box springs INCLUDING delivery and haul away.

Then we went to Real Deal Furniture & Mattress. Where we looked at the Pure Latex Bliss Talalay 8" Pamper. It felt really good. But the sales people told me it HAD to be on a solid base, and did NOT need to be rotated. Their price was $2999 plus $120 for delivery and haul away. They also said their price was negotiable…

Costco has a Sleep Science 9" Natural Latex Cal King Mattress for $3000 .
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: goo.gl/8aoVX
I tried to look the mattress up on the manufacturers website: https://www.southbayinternational.com/, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. The price also seems a bit on the high end.

I now need to call Al Davis Furniture and Mattress World and see what their pricing is on the PLB 8" Pamper.

But I was wondering if either of those prices are average, high, or low? Also if that was a good deal, or if I need to be asking other questions? Thanks!

Hi lagreca,

In most cases an all latex mattress does best on a solid non flexing foundation with slats that are 3" or less apart but some manufacturers will use an active box spring or flexible slats under the mattress as part of the design of the sleeping system which will add some flex and give under the mattress. This generally works best with thinner mattresses because if they are too thick then the effect of the box spring or flexible slats is reduced or minimized. If you test a mattress with an active box spring or a flexible slat foundation and it works well for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and personal preferences) then they should be purchased as a set because putting it on a non flexing foundation will change the feel and performance of the mattress.

The prices you are mentioning are on the high side and I typically use the prices for the online manufacturers listed in post #21 here as a “value reference”. I would consider a “local premium” in the range of about 20% - 25% or so (in an apples to apples comparison) to be roughly “equivalent value” to make up for the higher risk of an online purchase that you can’t test first. If the difference is more than that I would consider an online purchase more seriously depending on your comfort level with any additional risk of an online purchase and on the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Out of the three local options you mentioned it appears to me that the Escondido Mattress Factory would be the better local value but of course “value” also depends on how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP and any options you have for making comfort adjustments if this becomes necessary.

The Costco Sleep Science 9" talalay latex mattress also seems quite high to me for an online purchase and many of the online manufacturers in the list I linked make a similar mattress with 9" of latex and a wool quilted cover at significantly lower prices and also offer more customized comfort and support options. In some cases they also provide the ability to re-arrange or exchange layers and change the comfort or support after you have slept on it if you make a choice that is less than your ideal. They will also provide you with much better guidance than the employees at Costco who usually have little knowledge of mattresses or how to make the most suitable choice.

When you are looking at latex mattresses the most important information is to know the thickness and type of latex in the layers (Talalay or Dunlop) and the blend of natural and synthetic rubber that was used to make it so you can make “'apples to apples” comparisons with other latex mattresses. The cover materials will also make a difference in the cost and unquilted stretch covers are typically less costly than covers that are quilted with wool (which is often used to pass the fire regulations and can improve the temperature regulation of the mattress although it may also slightly reduce the compression of the softer latex layers below it).

Phoenix

I totally get this as we experienced the same thing. I think the problem is that the big box manufacturers have taught us that a mattress should be fluffy with a fancy pillow top and we should feel like we’re on a cloud. Of course whether this actually translates to a good night’s sleep is up for debate. And the pillow top will probably wear down fast along with any cheap foam that was used along with the latex. Another problem is that we’re accustomed to look at how beautiful the mattress is, which is why so much goes into the visual appeal of the mattress. The standard latex mattress with a bamboo/wool cover isn’t going to look as fancy as you’ll see at Macy’s, etc… It’s hard to get beyond but you’re just going to cover it up with sheets anyways.

Also for different places in San Diego, various queen latex mattress pricing can be found here.

Hi stuart,

Thanks for the feedback … and I agree with your thoughts completely.

I think that the single biggest mistake that most consumers make is choosing a mattress based on a more subjective feeling of initial comfort which often translates into a mattress purchase that is too soft (in either the support or comfort layers) and unsuitable for their needs in the longer term. There is at least one study which indicates that the odds of making a suitable choice based on the most common methods that people use to choose a mattress are less than random chance alone. This is compounded by the sales techniques used and the “highly managed environment” of many mattress showrooms where salespeople are easily able to manipulate what people feel in the short term on a mattress using various techniques.

The second biggest “mistake” is not finding out the specifics of the materials in the mattress so there is no way to identify any potential weak links in the mattress or make any meaningful comparisons in terms of durability and how long the comfort and support qualities of a mattress are likely to last. People tend to believe that the length of a warranty is an indicator of how long a mattress will last when it has very little to do with this and in most cases is just another marketing tool used to justify higher prices.

Thanks too for the San Diego pricing link. It makes some good relative comparisons. There are a few retailers or manufacturers missing and some of the comparisons are not quite “apples to apples” (I would be very careful about Ortho Mattress in particular whose “all latex” mattress is a Stearns & Foster and uses mostly synthetic latex and may not be all latex) but it certainly is a very useful guideline. Nice catch :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I totally get this as we experienced the same thing. I think the problem is that the big box manufacturers have taught us that a mattress should be fluffy with a fancy pillow top and we should feel like we’re on a cloud. Of course whether this actually translates to a good night’s sleep is up for debate. And the pillow top will probably wear down fast along with any cheap foam that was used along with the latex. Another problem is that we’re accustomed to look at how beautiful the mattress is, which is why so much goes into the visual appeal of the mattress. The standard latex mattress with a bamboo/wool cover isn’t going to look as fancy as you’ll see at Macy’s, etc… It’s hard to get beyond but you’re just going to cover it up with sheets anyways.

Also for different places in San Diego, various queen latex mattress pricing can be found here
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bestlatexmattresshq.blogspot.com/2012/04/san-diego-latex-mattress-pricing.html

Stuart, I couldn’t agree with you more. In 2007 I visited the Escondido Mattress Company and looked at their latex mattresses. I was underwhelmed. I was considering a Sealy Spring Free Whistlewood latex, you see. 16 inches thick and lots of hype for $2500. Sadly, i bought the Sealy. Almost immediately I had back pains. The bed was so soft that I sunk in quite a bit, and the impression took days to go away. I started sleeping on the guest room mattress, which was over 10 years old. Fast forward to 2013–I had so much back pain I went back to Escondido mattress factory. I wound up with the 6 in latex firm, an my back couldn’t be happier.

I put our mattress shopping on hold for a while, but have returned…

I called Real Deal Furniture & Mattress in San Diego this morning and they agreed to sell me the Pure Latex Bliss Talalay 8" Pamper with base in a Cal King size for $2200, including a mattress protector IF I paid in CASH, no credit card.

I called Pure Latex Bliss and asked them the specs of that mattress, and this is what Maureen (she spoke very highly of you and this forum) told me:

2" pressure relief ild: 21
6" base ild: 40

I was wondering if you thought this was a quality mattress, at a reasonable price? Thanks!