Latex Mattress

I’m looking for any constructive feedback on a Dream Star Bedding King Natural Escape Mattress (Latex). We are looking for a mattress that doesn’t have a strong odor. We tried out a Plush because that was all that was available, but are wondering if Firm might be better. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Hi Squirrel,

You can see some comments about the Dream Star Natural Escape mattress and the quality of the materials in this topic and in post #7 and onwards in this topic and in posts #13 and #14 here. I would also make sure you find out the specifics of the materials inside it (see this article) because there are some discrepancies in the different descriptions.

This would depend on which one was a better match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). The best way to assess this would be with your own careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post. For some people the firm would be a better choice and for others the plush would be the better choice.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,

Thanks for your quick response. For the firm 12" mattress, the specifications are 6" soy bio 1.9 density foam, and 4" 100% talalay latex. The ticking is bamboo; premium ultra bio foam quilted with wool blend hollow fill fibers. I’m looking for something that doesn’t have a strong smell and uses wool as a fire retardant, so would it be better to look for a bed with more latex and less foam? Thank you.

Hi Squirrel,

That accounts for 10" of the 12" and if there isn’t more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality materials in the rest of the upper layers of the mattress then there would be no weak links in its design.

Talalay latex generally has a somewhat “sweet” smell that usually isn’t offensive and generally dissipates fairly quickly. There is more about the typical smell of latex in post #2 here.

If the wool is mixed in with hollofill fibers then your mattress probably has a fire retardant barrier in addition to the wool. It generally takes about 1.8 oz/sq ft (and often more) of wool to pass the burn test by itself consistently.

This depends entirely on your budget, your preferences, how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP, and on all the parts of your personal value equation and the tradeoffs that are most important to you. There is a little more about an all latex mattress vs a latex/polyfoam hybrid in post #2 here which may also be helpful but again these types of choices would be based on your own criteria and preferences.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix, Thanks for your quick response again and the great work you are doing on this site. Many current day mattresses seem to be “black boxes”, until you spend the time to learn more about their compositions. Regarding our mattress, I have considered the purchase more thoroughly and I would like to avoid the bio foam and fire retardant if possible, as a toddler may be spending some time with the bed. I have read your various posts on children’s needs. We live in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario on the border with Michigan. Do you have any suggestions regarding other manufacturers or retailers that would be able to provide a 100% latex or a mattress with springs and cotton, realizing that more expense will be involved? I guess mail order would be an option, but we are hesitant to purchase a mattress without trying it out, although we could make a trip to Toronto or Michigan to try out mattresses before purchasing. Thanks in advance for any comments you might have.

Hi Squirrel,

There isn’t a forum list for the Sault Ste. Marie, ON or Sault Ste. Marie, MI areas (it’s probably one of the few areas in Canada and the US that I hadn’t done any searching) so I spend some time today looking in the area and making a few phone calls. The results of my research and some of the options and possibilities that I would consider (making sure you can find out the specs of any mattress you are considering at any of them) include …

Sault Ste. Marie, ON:

http://spadonis.com/index.php Dreamstar incl a latex hybrid (3" of latex). They told me they would call Dreamstar for specs.

Sault Ste. Marie, MI:

http://northernhos.com/index.htm Restonic Comfort Care incl 2 sided made by Clare Bedding. Will call the factory for specs.

http://www.weirfurniturecenter.com/home.html Also carries Restonic incl 2 sided.

As you can see there are very few good options that are close to you even for “regular” mattresses much less all natural mattresses and most of the mattress stores only carry major brands which I would avoid. You’ve already found the mattress that would be closest to your criteria that I’m aware of that is available in your area.

The closest possibilities in Canada that I’m aware of would be in the Sudbury and North Bay list in post #7 here but you would need to call to make sure they have mattresses that fit your criteria on their floor.

Post #2 here also has some possibilities in the areas from Huntsville/Muskoka south to Toronto but you would need to make a few calls here as well to confirm that they have the types of mattresses you are looking for on their floor.

The closest stores I’m aware of that I know would carry mattresses that match your criteria (100% latex or a mattress with springs and cotton) would be in post #3 here for the NW Michigan/Traverse City area.

If you do decide to look online then some of the better options or possibilities that ship across Canada are listed in post #21 here.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix, thanks for all your work identifying these options.

Hi Squirrel,

Your very welcome … and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix, I think we may have to go the online route. There are a few good options locally that you have identified, but we want to avoid the bio-foam because of our current needs. I am now looking at TMASC, specifically the Berkeley Ergonomics models: Stockholm and Malmo (more coils). If you or anyone else can offer feedback on this micro-coil system, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Squirrel,

You can read a little more about microcoils in this article. A forum search on microcoil will also bring up more information about them and many mattresses that use them. They are certainly a good quality, “safe”, breathable, and durable component. While the choice of materials and components in a mattress is always a personal preference … there are many people who have purchased a mattress that uses microcoils with a good quality layer of foam such as latex on top (including many who have purchased a Berkeley Ergonomics mattress) that are happy with their choice.

The most important part of the “value” of any mattress purchase is how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (see post #13 here) but in terms of quality and durability none of the Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses have any weak links in their design or the quality of the materials.

Phoenix