Latex Mattress

Hi 1fasttvx,

That really depends on which type of latex you are looking at and your preferences and on the criteria that are most important to you for performance, “feel”, budget, or personal reasons. Post #6 here has more about the different types of latex which along with your own personal testing and experience may be helpful in deciding which type of latex you prefer.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Raleigh/Durham area are listed in post #6 here. There are certainly some good options to test and become familiar with different types of latex mattresses but where you end up buying from will depend on which of your options (either local or online) you are most comfortable with and are the best match for the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Great info Phoenix, I will check them out.

Thanks,

John

Phoenix,

I went to look at the latex mattress at the Original Mattress Factory. I like the feel of the mattress, but after checking the construction it uses a foam core. I am guessing that is a way to produce the mattress at a lower cost? I also checked out the Savvy Rest Serenity mattress and I liked the feel of them also, but as you know the price is up there. Right now I am really leaning towards the Brooklyn Bedding 10" Total Latex. Do you think that would be a good choice price and construction wise?

Thank you!!

John

Hi 1fastvx,

You can see some of my thoughts about the OMF Serenity latex mattress (and some comparisons with some of the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses including the Total Latex Mattress) in post #2 here and post #2 here and post #3 here.

Yes 
 they are good quality mattresses and I would choose them over most mainstream mattresses in a similar budget range but as you know there are also other similar component latex mattresses available that use the same or similar materials and layers in lower budget ranges.

They are one of the members of this site which means I think highly of them yes and they compete well with the best in the industry. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to purchase any of their mattresses that I thought was suitable for me in terms of PPP and the parts of my personal value equation that were most important to me.

Of course when you can’t test a mattress in person them it’s also important to have a more detailed conversation with any online retailer or manufacturer so you can choose the layer and firmness options that have the highest chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I have learned so much on your site. Because of the huge investment, I’m so afraid to make a mistake and get the wrong mattress. Because of this, we’ve put off buying a mattress for about 3 years too long.

I live in Montana, so our latex choices are really limited locally. We did drive to Denver Mattress in Billings (110 miles) and try their iChoice. I liked it without the topper but only laid on it about a half an hour with the topper and a half hour without. I have developed bursitis in both hips, and I think our sagging innerspring mattress is the cause. When I sleep in hotel beds, I don’t develop the same pain, which hits about 3 am at home. I particularly like the mattresses at Woolley’s Classic Suites in Denver, but I don’t want to go with springs again. They say their mattresses are Beautyrest Black Label custom-made for them, but no one knew what comfort level number they were.

The iChoice bed’s link is: 404 | Denver Mattress. As you can see, it’s not 100% latex, so I’ve been looking at SleepEZ’s beds, starting with the Roma. I’m wondering what you recommend based on the two other mattresses I liked. I haven’t called them yet to find out the ILD #s on their different layers. We have added a 2.5" Talalay topper to our current bed along with a Cuddlebed topper and a quilt under the sagging part of the mattress. That has helped but not enough. However, we can use these toppers on our new mattress as well. I’m worried about getting something too firm that will bother my pressure points, but I’m worried about getting something too soft since I hear that latex softens over time, and sinking too far into the mattress also sets off my bursitis.

We laid on the Dr. Breus Monogram mattress, but I couldn’t really feel a difference on that one. Of course, I tried it early in the morning when my bursitis was already hurting pretty badly. I believe that’s also not 100% latex. I have not been able to find 100% mattresses in either Billings or Bozeman.

So budget-wise we’re looking at three on SleepEZ.com: the Roma, the NaturalĂ© 9", and the 8" Special Latex Mattress with 3 layers. If we go with that, I’m not sure what firmness levels to choose for each layer since I am no where near Tempe and can’t try them out. I’m hoping you can make some suggestions.

And unfortunately, we do need a new foundation, too. Are all wooden foundations the same? We can buy one locally for $120 versus SleepEz’s $275, and the store says it would support a latex mattress, but the saleswoman couldn’t tell me the size or spacing of the slats inside.

One more question about warranties. I believe most warranties requires a sag of a certain amount (ie. 2.5") to replace the mattress, but I’ve heard that latex doesn’t actually sag; it softens in the area where you lie, so are latex warranties different, or are they pointless?

Thanks so much for any information you can give me. We have been looking forever, and with my bursitis, I want to get a new mattress this month.

Hi Range Girl,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet 
 the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice 
 and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

You can read more comments about hotel beds in post #3 here. I would generally avoid them or any of the major brand mattresses that may be similar (see the guidelines here).

I would also be aware that the weakest link in most innerspring mattresses are lower quality materials used in the comfort layers and not the innerspring itself which is generally a durable component. An innerspring mattress that uses high quality comfort layers can be a very durable choice.

I don’t make specific mattress suggestions because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make specific suggestions for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance”. If you are considering an online choice that you can’t test in person before a purchase then the most reliable source of guidance will always be the retailer or manufacturer themselves (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

[quote]
So budget-wise we’re looking at three on SleepEZ.com: the Roma, the NaturalĂ© 9", and the 8" Special Latex Mattress with 3 layers. If we go with that, I’m not sure what firmness levels to choose for each layer since I am no where near Tempe and can’t try them out. I’m hoping you can make some suggestions.
[/quote].

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

I can only speak to the quality of the materials in a mattress and help you identify any weak links in their design and all of the mattresses you mentioned here use high quality and durable materials and there are no weak links in any of them.

No they all aren’t the same at all. There is more about the types of foundations that are suitable for different types of mattresses and some good sources for each of them in the foundation post here but the SleepEZ foundation is certainly a good choice for an all latex mattress and has gaps between the slats that are less than 3".

I’m not sure where you are exactly but the some of the Montana options in post #5 here may be reasonably close to you.

Most warranties have a 1.5" exclusion (although some are more) but mattress warranties only cover visible impressions (as you mentioned) and not the gradual loss of comfort and support that happens with all mattresses over time and they have very little to nothing to do with the useful life of a mattress and how quickly you may need to replace it (see post #174 here). They are more about marketing than anything else.

All foam materials including latex will soften or impress to some degree over time but latex is among the most durable materials in the industry so it will soften or impress less than other types of foam materials and will only do so over a longer period of time. There is more about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the links and info. I had tried all the places you list for Montana except one, and no one has 100% latex. They are all combined with other foam layers. I ended up buying the 8" special from SleepEZ, and I am so relieved to finally have placed an order after several years of either not dealing with it or researching different mattresses. We’ve been in the middle of remodeling our house for years, so this has always take a backseat financially, and now I’m paying for it physically. Hopefully, this mattress with be worth the money. Fingers crossed.

Hi Range Girl,

It’s unfortunate that you missed Mattress Mill in Bozeman which makes all latex mattresses but the good news is that you ended up making a great quality/value mattress purchase anyway!

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

I found some MFRS. here to review before buying the Plush Beds Botanical Bliss 100% latex.

FYI, the Foam Sweet Foam coupon code is not working anymore, gives the message “Warning: Coupon is either invalid, expired or reached its usage limit!” Shame, was about to make a purchase.

www.foamsweetfoam.com/ Anaheim, CA. Factory direct manufacturer. They sell component latex mattresses that you can choose between organic certified Dunlop latex or 100% natural Talalay layers with either two, three, four, of five 3" layers in your choice of firmness with an organic cotton and wool quilted zip cover. Scott is the owner here and I have known him for several years and he is also very knowledgeable and experienced. He makes good quality and value mattresses and is the only manufacturer I know that sells 15" component latex mattresses with 5 layers. He has been selling mattresses for over 30 years and online for over 9 years. Discount code: MU6

Hi toddatkins,

I’m assuming that you’ve called them already to find out why the coupon wasn’t working but just in case you haven’t and for the benefit of others who read your post they are having a 4th of July sale which has a discount that is larger than the TMU bonus and as you can see on the membership list here 
 all discounts and bonuses are on regular “mattress only” purchases and in most cases can’t be “stacked” with occasional sale prices that already have a larger discount or with special promotional pricing on some mattresses.

The coupon code will be reactivated after the sale is over.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

This list is 5 years old and I believe the majority of these vendors are still in business.

However, do you have a current list somewhere of these vendors with your notes?

Also, on another subject, do you have a compendium of all of the educational and article information in one document, PDF or other read-straight-through format?

One of the difficulties I’ve found with the navigation of the educational and article information on this site is the seeming lack of “next subject/article” links within each page.

thanks again

[quote=“Phoenix” post=897]

https://www.mattresses.net/ Specializes in customizable 6" + 2" or 6" + 3" layering in either Talalay or Dunlop and side by side split construction is also available. Has a range of other options as well including organic Dunlop and a pocket coil/latex hybrid and can also do special orders of alternative layering on request. Has a zip cover so that the base layers can be exchanged if needed. Discount Code: MU5

http://www.baybed.com/ Specializes in a rather unique customized component mattress with latex layers of your choice over a high quality pocket coil design for those who prefer a latex/innerspring hybrid. Has a zip cover so that layers and components can be exchanged after purchase.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi steelwindmachine,

This is a list of the members of the site that sell sell mattresses online and I edit it to keep it up to date on a consistent basis (the last edit was yesterday). It is one of several online lists that are linked in the mattress shopping tutorial (in the optional online step). I also edit and update all the many other local and online lists throughout the forum on a regular basis as I become aware of any new information.

No 
 but the most important links are included in the 5 steps in the mattress shopping tutorial. There are a number of menu sections that contain educational articles (and they are all visible if you hover over the menu item) but there are many more inside the forum itself that I use as reference posts than there are in the menu links.

I am currently working on creating a research center that will include several hundred of the most important articles from the menu links and the forum posts that will be amalgamated together in one place but it will take quite some time to complete so if you have any questions that aren’t covered in the tutorial or the menu links you can just ask on the forum and I’ll be happy to link you to the relevant information.

Phoenix

Hi There,

My head is spinning, 4 days and a stomach ache. My main concern is health and safety. I am distrusting by nature ( bad experiences in the past).
Shopping for a latex mattress seems to be confusing. Through doing research I am finding I am leaning towards Savvy Rest as I feel a peace of mind with their product do to detailed advertising and info on their site and their final product has a green guard 100 cert which I like. The problem is that all of these oeko-tex 100 certs are made to the latex distributor, how do I know that the mattress company itself, Sleep EZ, Sleep Organic, Flo Beds etc are actually using that 100% natural (NO SYNTHETIC) foam in MY bed? I am conflicted because each of these vendors have the certs that look good, but none address them as a retailer. Buying online is more affordable which I like, but how do I know they are a well respected company? Sleep Ez has been in business a long time, BBB Accredited, but I cannot find a ton of info on them from verified purchasers independently on the web, and their site only has 200 and something likes, their yelp has a small amount of ratings as well. Being around so long is there more info I am missing? Also, found SleepOrganic.com today and cannot find a lot of verified buyer reviews either. I want to buy a 100%Natural latex bed from top to bottom, no synthetic junk in the latex, I do not want ANY flame retardant other than Certified organic wool, and would prefer a Certified organic cotton cover. Any info on the companies carrying these would be sooooo appreciated. Or if anyone has purchased a product like this from one of these companies and has a positive or negative experience I would love to know. Lastly, I know OMI carries a very well certified product, but way out of my price range:)
Also, any opinions on Coco Latex vs Latex Green with regard to purity/safety/health? I had come across a thread that mentioned Latex Green produced a product that contains flame retardant is this true? Thank you !!!

SavvyRest mattresses are very nice and their pricing is towards a higher income bracket. If you can afford it, then I wouldn’t think twice and just order one and be done.

If you don’t have or want to throw mounds of money around, which may be why you’re considering online factory direct retailers, then the ones you mention all have very reputable businesses, long standing and many pre-date the internet. None of them make the foam. They get it in raw pieces from the various manufacturers (Radium, Talatech, Latex Intl., Mountain Top, etc.) that have had their foams tested, certified, etc.

There is no cloak and dagger here with the brands you mention. If in doubt, call them to discuss your concerns.

I personally don’t have any aversion to synthetic stuff, so I went with SavvyRest’s Natural line of latex mattress. I’m still awaiting delivery, but the consultation and ordering process was excellent in terms of a high level of customer service.

There is certainly an element of risk when buying anything that you haven’t actually tested in person. So, if that’s worth an extra $2-$3k to you, then the SavvyRest might be worthwhile. Since they’re sold by a dealer you’ll also get the benefit of them removing your old mattress and setting up the new one. Whereas with the online purchased mattresses, you have to arrange for the disposal of your old mattress/bed and you have to set up the new bed system yourself.

My wife and I used the SavvyRest Serenity as a test bed to help us dial in on our latex preferences that we were then able to communicate to SleepEZ.

We choose SleepEZ since we couldn’t find a bad review on them, they’ve been in business for 40 years, their customer service has been fantastic and their recommendations were in line with what we suspected we’d need and not totally out in left field. We spent just a touch over $2100 for a 10" split king + foundations + queen latex pillows + king sheets, shipping included. They were on the high side of our retailer choices, but they hit all the right boxes for what we felt comfortable with and were looking for in a mattress. Heck, we buy darn near everything else on the internet anyway lol.

I’ll be writing a more full accounting of our experience along with a product review once we get the bed and have some time on it. We’re very excited to finally have a king on the way! It should all be here tomorrow! :slight_smile:

Hi mll,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

It’s certainly reasonable to want a product that is “healthy” and “safe”.

I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience previously, and it’s certainly good to vet businesses and products, but I wouldn’t let that cast an entire dark cloud over every vendor in this industry you encounter.

Savvy Rest does maintain a GreenGuard GOLD certification (see explanation of that certification here), and they certainly use higher quality products in their mattresses. However, they tend to be in a bit of a higher price range and you might want to investigate some other options using similar componentry and then make your own “value judgement.”

Certifications like Oeko-Tex 100 are applied for and then tested for (and hopefully qualified for) by the manufacturer of the foam. Mattress manufacturers are (almost exclusively) assemblers of mattresses, using componentry from various suppliers (foams, springs, fabrics, etc.)

The mattress companies you mention all have stellar reputations and are members here, which means that I think highly of them and they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration. It is in the interest of these companies to be completely transparent and accurate with the componentry within their products (which they are), and they have no history of substituting inferior products when advertising something different. To do so and then be found out would immediately ruin the integrity of their company and almost certainly be the beginning of the end of their ability to do business.

All of the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable safety certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold (see post #2 here) and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s.

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking for here. There would be no need for a manufacturer to take a foam that they had received from a reputable foam company and then attempt to “recertify” a foam that had already been certified, and even if they went through this expense, it wouldn’t be applicable because many of the certifications have to do with the production of the foam as well, which isn’t being done by the mattress manufacturer. These mattress companies are dealing with reputable foam companies who have their own reputations to consider by supplying a quality product that meets the certifications that they have passed, so they are trusting their suppliers to provide them the correctly certified product. The reputation of the mattress companies you mentioned isn’t in questions, and while it’s always good to verify, I would suggest that there is really no reason to question the brands that you mentioned, as they are reputable and their suppliers are reputable as well.

SleepEZ and Sleep Organic are members here and I think highly of them, their products, experience and reputation, and they’ve successfully assisted thousands of customers over the years. While it is nice to read reviews and they certainly can be helpful as a tool to partially assess the knowledge and service of a particular business, they also are not the ultimate, definitive or most accurate way to gauge a business. It’s quite easy for a company to acquire thousands of “likes” from different marketing companies for a relatively small payment, as you can witness over and again with some online mattress brands selling products of dubious quality that have “5-star” ratings. Basing your own opinion on the short thoughts of others, who in most cases are unqualified to render an educated analysis of a particular product, isn’t the most reliable method for evaluating a business. This is also the reason that this site will never be a review site (there isn’t a section for reviews) because it will always be more focused on educating the members here with more “fact based” information than on encouraging them to repeat the same mistakes that consumers have been making for many years 
 which includes warning them that reading or “counting” reviews as a reliable source of research can be among the worst ways to choose a mattress.

I [quote]want to buy a 100%Natural latex bed from top to bottom, no synthetic junk in the latex, I do not want ANY flame retardant other than Certified organic wool, and would prefer a Certified organic cotton cover.[/quote]

Most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

I’m not sure where you read this. I did review a post where I specifically mentioned that Latex Green Dunlop cores do not contain flame retardants, but that a finished mattress would need to be able to past 16 CFR Parts 1632 and 1633, but that would be the responsibility of the mattress manufacturer and this certainly can be accomplished naturally with a wool fiber barrier. Perhaps you read this?

Both Coco Latex and Latex Green are well-known sources of good quality 100% natural latex and they supply several of the members of the site (and many others) with their Dunlop latex. I personally would have no concerns using either of their 100% natural Dunlop latex.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them also sell latex mattresses using 100% natural Dunlop latex and have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering. Post #3 here also includes a list of the ones that sell component latex mattresses and many of these are very similar to Savvy Rest mattresses except of course they are in much lower budget ranges.

My best advice would be to take some time and read the links above about “organic” and “safety” certifications and decide exactly what is most important to you in your new mattress. Also, please read through the Mattress Shopping Tutorial linked above. At that point, your most important next step would be a detailed phone conversation with a few of the mattress companies you mentioned previously, and express to them your specific desires and concerns. Use their expertise to come up with recommendations that best suit your personal preferences (your personal PPP as described in the Mattress Shopping Tutorial). Then you’ll be on your way to making a truly informed decision.

Phoenix

Hi steelwindmachine,

Congratulations on your new SleepEZ mattress! As you know, you certainly made a good value/quality choice. I’ll look forward to your thoughts after you’ve had it for a while.

Just out of curiosity, did you mean Talatech (Talatech is a trade name for Talalay latex made by Latex International), when you typed Taltech? Just checking in case you’ve found something of which I am unaware and I need to do some new research. B)

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I will certainly be reporting back with a synopsis of our experiences leading up to and after the use of our forthcoming SleepEZ 10" Natural mattress system.

Yes, I meant Talatech.

Hi steelwindmachine,

I look forward to it. And thanks for the clarification. With so many new things popping up in the industry, I’m never sure if I’ve missed something.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

We are in the process of buying a new mattress. First I wanted to say thank you, after spending about 3 months reading through marketing statements of various bed in a box companies, this website and its information was a breath of fresh air.
We currently have a 6 year old serta with a 4 in memory foam topper, and we just keep not sleeping well on it and waking up with shoulder pain and hip pain (I’m 6 ft. and 145 while my SO is 5’5" and 130). So we went to a couple local mattress stores (we live in Tucson, AZ), including Brooklyn Bedding, and at every store we liked a latex comfort layer and an innerspring support layer (we couldn’t find a full latex bed or one with a latex support layer). Specifically, we found the Maxx Support Eurotopper to be the best feeling mattress we tried.
Unfortunately, I am now really torn between three companies.
SleepEZ, as the split construction seems really appealing to be able to fine tune both our sides of the bed, but I am still not sure if a 10" or 7" is better, especially with the guarantee they offer of being able to swap a layer.
The OSO, the drop in cost is really appealing, although I am still slightly confused about the 180 degree rotation and worried that only I or only my SO would be comfortable.
And lastly, the Natural Escape my MyGreenMattress. We found the hybrid innerspring and latex to be the best feeling mattress (although again we never have been able to try a full latex) and the zonal design seems really appealing.
I did see SleepEZ has a showroom in Phoenix Az which is not too far, but unfortunately our work schedules make it pretty difficult to get up there to try a full latex mattress out.
Do you have any opinion on which of these three would be the best way to go?