Latex recommendations, particularly in Canada or near Vancouver, BC

Hi, this is my first post here so I hope this is the right spot to post this.

My wife and I are looking for a mattress and hoping for some recommendations. 5’6” back sleeper maybe some side. 5’3” side sleeper, some stomach. Both late-30s, 150 lbs. Our current mattress is an eleven-year-old Kingsdown pillow top. We both find it a bit soft and squishy at this point. I’d like something more supportive than our current mattress but assume we can’t go too firm due to the side sleeping.

Our target price is around $2000 CAD, give or take. We’ve both been independently drawn to the idea of latex, though we have not had the opportunity to try latex yet. Coming from something with coils, we are considering either hybrid with a latex top or a full latex.

We have two young children so are looking at King size for those times everyone ends up in the bed. I’d like something that isn’t impossible to move so we might entertain the idea of a split or something with removable layers. Some of those options appear to drive up the price so I might not do that if it’s not necessary.

We’ve been looking online at a few online Canadian retailers including @MFC but ideally we would like to try out some latex mattresses to know if we will even like it before ordering. We are in Vancouver, BC, and plan to check out some local places where we can try latex and compare to a hybrid with latex. Our local Foam Shop appears to have something in stock and we’d perhaps book a time at the Nature’s Embrace factory in Delta but neither appear to have hybrid latex available to try at the moment. We were also looking at Fawcett in Victoria, but don’t really have an opportunity to go over there in the near future.

Any recommendations of other Vancouver area places to try?

We’ve enjoyed learning about mattresses from this site but are at the point of being overwhelmed with so much info! Any advice would be appreciated.

@MFC

Hi JR11,

Welcome to TMU and thank you for joining us in your search for the perfect mattress!

Any recommendations of other Vancouver area places to try? You can go to the NE factory, Naturepedic or InBed organics to try different organic dunlop latex mattresses and get a better idea of how they feel and are priced in the different stores.

As for a KING mattress around $2000 we have the 8" Maoli made with a 6" firm organic dunlop latex core and topped of with a 2" soft comfort layer. The mattress is wrapped up in a top-zip Tencel cover for easy access to the layers and facilitate handling of the mattress.

We also have the new Cumulus Hybrid Latex Mattress which is a coil spring mattress topped off with a 2" medium and a 2" soft latex layer for a total of 11" thick. It comes with a top-zip wool quilted organic cotton for easy access to the layers so that it can be disassembled to facilitate moving.

I suggest you go and try some in stores to see if you like the feel of an all latex mattress and then please come back to us with your thoughts on your experience.

All the best!

1 Like

If you look up Obasan, they have a showroom in Victoria - all latex mattresses. You would be able to experience latex. While their Auberge mattress is a little above your price range, it does have the layers to make moving easier, and comes with a removable topper. This makes it 10" thick with 5" firm latex 3" medium latex and the 2" soft topper.
Good luck!

@MFC thanks for the response.

If we were to bump up our budget to allow for something like your MFC Unison, would we notice a significant difference in materials between that and the Maoli? Does the cotton/wool sleep much cooler? Beyond being organic are there other benefits? I haven’t minded things with Tencel in the past but tend to prefer cotton over polyester in other things like sheets. The NE website mentions their Tencel covers have polyester as well – are yours the same?

Also does the Unison qualify for the layer exchange program?

@MFC one more question: are the layers within either the Maoli or Unison individually covered or is it just the latex within the main cover?

@TheCleanBedroom thanks. We’ve added Auberge to our list to consider. Do you happen to know the ILD of the Auberge layers? Hoping to be able to compare to other mattresses we try in case we are unable to try it out in person.

We offer a similar model, but I am not sure of the ILD, as it is simply a firm base, medium comfort layer and 1.5 " topper. I think Obasan would know though, and they have a chat feature on their site if you would like to ask a quick question like that.
Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Good morning JR11,

If we were to bump up our budget to allow for something like your MFC Unison, would we notice a significant difference in materials between that and the Maoli?
Both mattresses are made of Organic Dunlop latex, the only difference is that the Maoli has a the Tencel cover while the Unison has a Joma wool quilted organic cotton cover

Does the cotton/wool sleep much cooler?
Joma Wool regulates body temperature and humidity, therefor it may offer a cooler sleep experience. The only drawback is that if cannot be washed. Some customers buy the Maoli and get a washable wool mattress protector so that they can enjoy the benefits of wool and the sanitary convenience of being able to wash their sleeping surface in case of an accident in bed.

Beyond being organic are there other benefits? no

I haven’t minded things with Tencel in the past but tend to prefer cotton over polyester in other things like sheets. The NE website mentions their Tencel covers have polyester as well – are yours the same? yes, they are the same

Also does the Unison qualify for the layer exchange program? Yes it does, you can read up on it here

Did I answer all your questions?

Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!

Mario

2 Likes

Hi JR11

are the layers within either the Maoli or Unison individually covered or is it just the latex within the main cover? The mattress cover envelops all the layers, eliminating the need for additional covering. Our experience has also demonstrated that uncovered latex layers stacked together provide more stability and reduce shifting compared to covered layers.

regards

2 Likes